The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2012, 06:57 PM   #1
BlackWorksInc

Question on Optics for Shotguns...

So before you all laugh me off the forum , I'm just curious how many of you run optics on your guns? I've seen a couple shotguns and heard some good things about people running red-dots or even EO-Techs on their shotguns and really loving it.

I've been thinking about maybe getting an affordable EO-Tech for my gun, I figure worst case I can save it for a rifle I plan on getting in the future. My local range only wants us shooting slugs and I'd like to see how far I can get the slugs down range and maintain accuracy.

I plan on keeping my iron sights as back-ups out of habit, just something I had been tossing around in my head and was wondering what opinions, experience, suggestions you guys might have?
Old November 21, 2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Pahoo

RedDots on slug guns.

Quote:
So before you all laugh me off the forum
I'm not laughing as I have mounted them on shotguns, for slug hunting. One fella that I mounted one for claimed he hit a deer at 80yds. but I was not there. Some in his hunting group, did give him some lip when he pulled it our of the case but not when he got his deer. ....

Obviously there are others who mount scopes and if you look at their specs, they are rated for Shotgun & M/L's

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 21, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Noreaster

I have a cheapo red dot on my HD shotgun. It shoots Winchester 1oz slugs great at 50 yds great. I used it deer hunting a couple of times. Only problem is the sight height. There is no comb on the stock and my cheek rides a little high when using the red dot.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Corrections Cop

I have a cheapo red dot on my 16 gauge HD gun I put together, havent shot it yet though.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:58 PM   #5
jackpine

I have a scope on my NEF 20 guage that has a rifled barrel
Old November 22, 2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Backwoodsboy

I mounted a simmons prodiamond 2x32 fixed scope to my mossberg 500 20 ga for my wife to use. Truth is I am not a fan of scopes on shotguns but my wife has proven deadly with it so I say to each there own.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:27 PM   #7
eastbank

i have a leupold 2.5x on my winchester 1300 turkey shotgun and it has allowed me to kill several turkeys that i would not have gotten with just a bead. i,m talking about spring turkeys and calling them up. eastbank.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:33 PM   #8
big al hunter

I have used a scope on my slug guns. Never tried it on wingshooting, got to have a bead, at least I do.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:15 AM   #9
BfloBill

I have taken deer with a scope and red dot (cheap simmons) on my shotgun. Scope (1.5 to 4.5 variable Weaver) works great on my slug gun. The red dot is good at closer ranges and you can aquire your target easily and quickly even if its moving, but once the ranges get farther (say beyond 50 yds.) I felt like the dot covered too much of the target area.

Final verdict:
Scopes- more accurate, but may have trouble sighting on closer moving targets.

Red Dots- Great for closer moving targets, accuracy drops as range increases due to area of target covered.
Old December 1, 2012, 03:51 AM   #10
bamaranger

considering it

I have thought that I might mount a Leupold 1-4x with a German #1 on a turkey gun. Set and left at 1x for turkeys. I have a concern about judging range through the optic.

Plus...the only scope cut I ever got was experimenting with a turkey scope on my trusty 870. Not enough eye relief and I got wacked good. Three inch shells and gun loosely held (I'm bad about that on long set ups) reslulted in a real bleeder.

Bamaboy has commented he'd like some type of dot on his recently acquired 835, but....I've got an aversion to battery run optics, so some more thought required.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:44 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

With a scope, I could feel comfortable shooting "pumpkin" slugs thru a smooth bore out to 100 yards but they slow my target acquisition too much in our typical thick stuff I hunt in... I consider my 65 yard bead only ability up to snuff and only going to stretch it to 80 in a hungry pinch...

For HD/SD, NOTHING but the bead...

Brent
Old December 1, 2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Nathan

I use a Truglo red dot for slugs from a rifled slug barrel. I feel the red dot helps me be more accurate.

I think you need to consider all the key shotgun accuracy factors. To me, those are barrel to gun fit, slug to bore type match, trigger, scope quality, etc. frankly, I think my barrel to receiver fit is limited to 150 yards. That is a Mossy 930, rifled barrel, Fusion Slugs and a truglo dot sight. To me, an EOTech would be a waste of $250 on this setup.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:16 AM   #13
Pahoo

It comes down to a matter of trust !!!

For those who are not familiar with RedDots, they are certainly a learning curve but it's almost amazing, how quickly your mind and eyes, get programmed in it's usage. Target aquisition is faster that "any" scope. In my opinion, there is nothing better on a "Slug-Gun", for close ranges. Part of the learning curve, is keeping both eyes open. You get your cheek weld, superimpose the dot on the target and trust that the shot will be there. On more than one occation, I have taken running shots, lead and the shot was there. I once shot at a running deer, took a lead at his chest and down he went. The round actually broke his spine just about where I was aiming. I can only attribute that to his bounding out of the woods. .....

You have to go there to appreciate the benefits.....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old December 1, 2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Superhouse 15

I had some scopes and some shotguns sitting in the back of the safe hardly getting used. I mounted a Leupold 4x on a 12ga Mossberg 500 and put in a rifled choke tube. I got a preliminary zero with some cheap frangible slugs I was given, then zeroed it with the premium slugs I plan to use. That saved me money and shoulder pain. I mounted it with a set of Millett rings that have pistol sights on the top half of the rings. I plan on trying some Federal Flite Control buckshot and seeing if that scope is appropriate, probably get to that next week. Then next I'll try it with a turkey choke and birdshot and see what results I get. Ideally I want to be able to keep a scope card and just change settings and verify.

Next project was a 20ga Mossberg 500 and a "Gobblestopper" from Tru Glo. Setting that up as a low recoil buckshot gun and turkey gun by changing chokes. However I found I had less #4 birdshot than I thought when it came time to zero so thats going to wait until after Christmas probably.

FWIW, I was very careful how I mounted the scopes. I degreased where appropriate, used blue Loctite, and made witness marks with a paint pen to see if things were moving. I was also careful to align the Millet rings, they're adjustable for windage and I wanted to make sure there was no stress on the scope from a misaligned ring.