The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 22, 2014, 09:43 AM   #1
spacecoast

Anti-gun state senator carries while protesting

They need to put this woman's picture in the dictionary where it defines "hypocrite".

On the plus side, she carries it "every single day". She had a permit but failed to show it to the police.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/missouri...001008924.html

From http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...ti-gun-bills/:

Quote:
Nasheed also reportedly pushed for a bill that would have required any “parent or guardian of a child who attends a public, private, or charter school shall notify, in writing, the superintendent of the school district, or the governing body of a private school or charter school, that such parent or guardian owns a firearm within thirty calendar days” of enrollment.
I guess her safety is important to her, too bad she wants to deny you your ability to defend yourself without registering your gun.
Old October 22, 2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

This is the same senator who wanted to make it a criminal offense to fail to report theft of a firearm within 72 hours, and who sponsored a bill [pdf] that would require parents to inform their children's school if there was a gun in the house.

Here she is exhibiting a shocking lack of responsible mindset or training.
Old October 22, 2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Microgunner

Sincerity and politics are not common bedfellows.
Old October 22, 2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Tackleberry1

The most surprising part of this is that this woman holds elected office.

I won't speak to the allegations of intoxicants or the breathalyzer refusal because frankly... I would not submit to anything designed to provide evidence against me either... But... Not notifying officers that your armed and have a CCW is certainly grounds to loose her CCW.

If you want to carry a gun, refuse LEO requests and refuse to ID yourself, there is a perfectly legal way to do it in most jurisdictions. Open Carry.

Tack
Old October 22, 2014, 03:39 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

So, other than another elitist with a "good for me, none for thee" attitude, what do we have here? if anything?
Old October 22, 2014, 04:19 PM   #6
wogpotter

Shocked, I say, shocked I am! Who would have thought such a thing.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 22, 2014, 04:28 PM   #7
JimDandy

Quote:
So, other than another elitist with a "good for me, none for thee" attitude, what do we have here? if anything?
Well Tackleberry kind of glossed over it but:

Quote:
I won't speak to the allegations of intoxicants or the breathalyzer refusal because frankly... I would not submit to anything designed to provide evidence against me either... But... Not notifying officers that your armed and have a CCW is certainly grounds to loose her CCW.
Has a number of interesting sentiments.

Assuming a failed field sobriety test:

Can you refuse a BAC test while driving?

Can you refuse a BAC test while "walking" in the street?

Can you refuse a BAC test while carrying concealed IF Carrying Concealed is a privilege not a right because unlicensed Open Carry is a right?

Not all states require officer notification, even if common sense does.
Old October 22, 2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
But... Not notifying officers that your armed and have a CCW is certainly grounds to loose her CCW.
Why? Do the laws of her state require notifying an officer when you are carrying? Some states have this requirement ... I think it's safe to say that "most" do not.

If the laws of her state require it, she should have complied. If the laws of her state don't require it ... why should not doing something that's NOT legally required be grounds for loss of her permit?

According to www.handgunlaw.us Missouri does NOT require officer notification.

Quote:
571.121. 1. Any person issued a concealed carry permit pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall carry the concealed carry permit at all times the person is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display the concealed carry permit upon the request of any peace officer. Failure to comply with this subsection shall not be a criminal offense but the concealed carry permit holder may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed thirty-five dollars.
If she didn't have her permit on her person, that's a violation. If they didn't ask her if she had a permit, she didn't commit any violation by not informing them she was carrying.

I certainly agree, though, that she is the personification of hypocrite.

Oh ... and it's "lose," not "loose."
Old October 22, 2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Tackleberry1

Perhaps she broke no law by not disclosing her armed status but I'm pretty sure she is in violation of having her gun and not having her CCW on her... Or perhaps she did and no one asked about it.

...but upon discovery of the gun, WHEN your getting arrested anyway, who wouldn't offer up their CCW to avoid an additional charge?

I think the answer is a hypocritical politician looking to get her name in the paper.

Tack

Last edited by Evan Thomas; October 23, 2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: no name-calling, please.
Old October 22, 2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Technosavant

Missouri is not a "must notify" state. She did nothing illegal by not notifying them of her firearm on her person... as to the wisdom of not disclosing that and doing something to deliberately get arrested, well, I'm not so sure that's a great idea. But it's not itself illegal.

And yes, she is a rabid anti-gun state congresswoman. There's several of those from that part of the STL area. But then again, rabid anti-gunners with CCW permits, although certainly hypocritical, are hardly thin on the ground. There's more than a few of those in the federal government too.
Old October 23, 2014, 09:19 AM   #11
wogpotter

While interesting from a purely legal/procedural/technical standpoint I think we're loosing the signal in the noise here.

An avowed anti-gunner was caught carrying a gun. Its an issue of integrity & honesty not a procedural contretemps that is the issue here.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 23, 2014, 10:02 AM   #12
geetarman

^^^^^^ What he said.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 23, 2014, 12:10 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Can you refuse a BAC test while driving?
YES!!! you have to put down the beer, pull over and stop, first!!!

In my state, you CAN refuse the breath test (under certain conditions). HOWEVER, doing so means an automatic loss of license/suspension.

If you were involved in an accident, you will get tested, and if there is injury involved it will be a blood test, with chain of evidence maintained.