The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 29, 2012, 05:53 AM   #1
rebs

use of a bore snake

What is the proper way to use a bore snake ?
Do you add solvent like Hoppe's #9 on the front of the snake before the brushes and put some oil on the back behind the brushes ? Or do you put the Hoppe's in the barrel and let it soak before running the snake through ?
What is the proper or prefered way to use a bore snake ?
Old May 29, 2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Skadoosh

From the instructions:

To use the BoreSnake, apply Hoppe’s No. 9 Solvent
to the first floss area of the BoreSnake and drop the
brass weighted end through the breech of the gun so
that it falls through the length of the barrel. Then pull
the entire BoreSnake through the barrel. The first floss
area removes loose foreign particles. The embedded
bronze brush will scrub away all fouling and residue.
The body of the BoreSnake will swab the entire length
of the barrel, flossing and polishing…all in a single
pull
Old May 29, 2012, 06:36 AM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
The BoreSnake is not a substitute for proper cleaning ! I use them as a range tool mostly . Once in a while I'll drag one through a filthy bore , that a customer has brought me . Just to get a better look at it . They are a handy tool at the range , when doing load development !
Old May 29, 2012, 07:31 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
The BoreSnake is not a substitute for proper cleaning ! I use them as a range tool mostly . Once in a while I'll drag one through a filthy bore , that a customer has brought me . Just to get a better look at it . They are a handy tool at the range , when doing load development !
+10

Great for the range or gun shopping to look at bores. It well not take the place of a good quality cleaning rod.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:32 AM   #5
mrawesome22

1. Insert boresnake in top of trashcan.

2. Close trashcan lid.

Sent from a highly hacked Android device using Tapatalk 2.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:17 AM   #6
hooligan1

We take them hunting with us in case there's an unexpted accident where the barrel gets jammed with snow or mud: cut long skinny stick to push most crap out then oil up the snake and send him through! It does work for this purpose pretty well and fitss in small day-pack.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Saltydog235

Quote:
Excellent analysis.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Scorch

For those of you that jus' gotta use one, do not put solvent on it. Solvent will degrade the BoreSnake string and you may wind up with one stuck in your bore. As others have said, it is a convenience tool, not a replacement for a cleaning rod.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Jimro

The bore snake isn't a substitute for deep cleaning, but it is good to scrape carbon off between strings. It is also worth doing before you hit the barrel with foaming bore cleaner.

Jimro
Old May 29, 2012, 03:28 PM   #10
spclPatrolGroup

Using a boresnake for cleaning is kind of counterproductive, unless you throughly clean it before you run it through each time, you are jsut dragging the same grime you just removed back through your bore. If you want a portable cleaning system for use in the field look at the Otis system. Kind of the same principle but much stonger and you can use a clean patch each time.
Old May 29, 2012, 04:35 PM   #11
eldorendo

If you ever have a Bore Snake break off in your barrel, you'll use whatever's left of it to hang yourself. Get a cleaning rod. Do the job right!
Old May 29, 2012, 05:11 PM   #12
10-96

Whoa, this is getting a little unfair towards bore snakes. We used to use one to tie open the door of the armory for when the solvent smells got too strong... and it worked great in THAT application.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:49 PM   #13
bn12gg

Geeeeesh! Bore snakes work fine. Used them for years on my 12g's, 30 06 and 22's. My bores are clean; is there something more?

.02 David

Nope, the snake will not work on my .50 muzzleloader!
Old May 29, 2012, 09:42 PM   #14
oneshot onekill

If you understand the concept you will realize that you are NOT pulling the grime through the bore any more than with a cleaning rod. The solvent-soaked front chemically loosens the grime, the brush scrapes it out and the first few inches after the brush catch the grime. The rest of the snake softly sweeps the bore dry. The important thing is to keep the snake as clean as possible. Don't let it hit the ground where it will pick up dirt and sand because then it WILL be bad for your bore. Grime is really only collected right behind the brush and is Loosely held in soft material where it's unlikely to scratch the bore. I've used bore snakes for years almost exclusively to clean my rifles because improper use of a cleaning rod will destroy a barrel quicker than anything. Especially fiberglass or steel rods.
It's important to note that I'm not one to clean the bore on a perfectly accurate rifle and mess that up. Mine usually only get cleaned when accuracy starts to diminish. It can take as many as 1000 rounds for that to happen depending on the powder and projectiles I'm using. FWIW...
Old May 29, 2012, 10:07 PM   #15
oneillba

Yes I use them in conjunction with regular cleaning. Final analysis. If its clean when done by either method then that's fine with me!
Old May 29, 2012, 10:50 PM   #16
jrhilde

I'll have to admit I'm a little confused by the low opinion of the boresnakes--I put a couple patches with solvent through, leave it wet, run the bore snake thru at least twice, couple more patches to dry it followed by a cut down oily boresnake [ no brush ] and it's plenty clean---I like the boresnakes because the brush goes in one direction only and moves continuously until clear of the rifling at the muzzle---and as far as the brush being tight enough, with the effort it takes to pull it through, it's doing it's job. So I'm not saying it's the end all cleaning solution, but I feel they get the job done.
I use them at the range after every 10 shots or so--not a bad idea while waiting for the barrel to cool----
Old May 30, 2012, 12:02 AM   #17
emcon5

Quote:
I'll have to admit I'm a little confused by the low opinion of the boresnakes-
Do you re-use toilet paper?
Old May 30, 2012, 05:41 AM   #18
mehavey

+1 (actually + several) for classic cleaning rod/boreguide -- and the technique of letting the solvent
have the time to do its job before trying to scrub things out.

Yes, I own and occasionally use bore snakes from 22 - 45 caliber on my rifles. But I know that the result
(while much better than nothing) is only a 75% job that still requires a preservative wet patch of
CLP/WeaponShield down the bore w/ a Dewey/Otis cable that I carry in the field along w/ the snake.

Putting that initial dry patch down the bore w/ a rod before firing next weekend at the range is very revealing.

Last edited by mehavey; May 30, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:02 AM   #19
rebs

Quote:
Putting that initial dry patch down the bore w/ a rod before firing next weekend at the range is very revealing.
Could you please explain what you find revealing ?
Old May 30, 2012, 08:35 AM   #20
dmazur

Making a polite comment about boresnakes is difficult...

I actually fell for the "pitch" and bought one for every caliber. After all, it would make cleaning rifles fast and easy. And would be easily packed for field use.

After a few uses, they were so dirty I wanted to clean them. And that wasn't fast or easy.

The reference to using a boresnake to clean the bore after using a stick to push most of the crud out is interesting...it points to the need for a cleaning rod, without actually admitting it.

I finally found a civilian version of a sectional cleaning rod (like the ones that were used with Garands) which is a good compromise. The broken-down length is only 7", and it allows use of standard cleaning techniques. No, it isn't a one-piece carbon fiber rod, but I believe it is OK for occasional or emergency use.

Here's one candidate for a boresnake replacement -

http://store.safariland.com/kleen-bore/product274.html

For some reason, my LGS has one-piece and two-piece rods, but does not stock these. You can find several sources online, however.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:50 AM   #21
mehavey

Quote:
Quote:
Could you please explain what you find revealing ?
A tight dry patch run down the bore after it's sat for a week with CLP in it
(but "boresnake clean" the weekend before) comes out filthy.

Botton Line: As noted above, the boresnake is a whole lot better than nothing in
the field as long as the bore is stored with a wet patch of CLP as the last thing through it.

Last edited by mehavey; May 30, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:47 PM   #22
rduckwor

Quote:
A tight dry patch run down the bore after it's sat for a week with CLP in it (but "boresnake clean" the weekend before) comes out filthy.

Botton Line: As noted above, the boresnake is a whole lot better than nothing in the field as long as the bore is stored with a wet patch of CLP as the last thing through it.
I suspect this might well be true with other cleaning methods as well.

Truthfully, we ALL probably over clean our barrels. After all, they're just going to get dirty again.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:55 PM   #23
hooligan1

Dmazur, read my reply more thoroughly next time, I actually own three Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rods for my various cleaning duties, and there is no one as meticulous about cleaning rifles as me,,, I hope.

I only use the "snake" for emergency crud removal.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:55 PM   #24
mehavey

Quote:
I suspect this might well be true with other cleaning methods as well....
Actually... not.

About three years ago, a local (legendary) gunsmith introduced me to a 2-stage cleaning session using KG-1 in stage 1, and KG-12 in stage 2. Most all of the 20-min cleaning at the range was letting the solvents do their jobs rather than scrubbing, and the total job took 7 patches & a Dewey rod.

Next weekend at the range, that pre-fire 1st patch came out white--with only the faintest trace of any fouling raised by the final CLP left in the barrel the weekend before.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:30 PM   #25
dmazur

Quote:
...cut long skinny stick to push most crap out...
Sorry. Wasn't intended as a personal attack.

Just an observation that you can't use a boresnake to deal with plugged bore. You need to find a (convenient?) stick, as you stated.

Which is like a cleaning rod.

So if the problem is field portability, why not just pack a multi-section rod?

Then you don't have to search for 30" sticks in .243 caliber.