The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 31, 2013, 08:01 AM   #1
stephen426

Lightening Revolver Trigger???

Hi Guys,

My wife's aunt and uncle recently decided to get a gun after a rash of burgleries in their neighborhood. My father-in-law gave them a Smith & Wesson J frame revolver that belonged to his father. I took them shooting and showed them safe gun handling and the basics of loading and firing a gun and let them try several of my guns as well.

The J frame they received is an older model that is all steel and has a shrouded hammer. The gun is still capable of firing in single action. The issue is that the double action pull is quite difficult for my wifes aunt and cocking back the hammer to put it in single action is also difficult for her. What I would like to know is how much can the trigger spring be lightened while remaining reliability?

I had her try racking the slide on some of my semi-auto guns and ahe had a difficult time with all of them. She was able to do it, but with great difficulty. I know some of you may recommend hand exercises, but she is already in her 60s. As for recommending that she check out corneredcat.com, I've already had her do that. The other option is for them to get a shotgun. I told them to always set their alarm, even during the day (since burglaries and home invasion occur more frequently during the day) and get a solid wood door for their bedroom. If the alarm goes off, the bedroom becomes their safe room and they just barricade themself with the shotgun. If someone comes through the door despite the alarm and verbal warnings, shoot them.

Any suggestions?
Old May 31, 2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

There is a hammer spring tension set screw on the bottom front of the grip. You might be able to let off some of the tension this way, just as long as the hammer has enough spring weight to fire. These are generally rated around 8 pounds. There's a possibility that someone placed a 12 pound spring in it, or has it adjusted with too much tension, if it seems abnormal to you.
Old June 1, 2013, 06:32 AM   #3
stephen426

Thanks for the information! I'll try it out?
Old June 1, 2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Zhillsauditor

S&W J-frames have a coil mainspring that is standard at 8.5#, and a rebound spring standard at 16#. Wolff sells reduced power mainsprings at 8#, and reduced rebound springs down to 12#.

See http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...30&postcount=7 for more thoughts on the matter.
Old June 1, 2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, its the small J frames that have a coil spring, so it could have either, one would have to look, as you didn't give the model. S&W shows both types in the parts diagram. Either, or, that's where the weight mostly comes from, for double action, plus the small trigger spring weight, and the slight amount added by the cylinder stop spring.

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; June 1, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old June 1, 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
Actually, its the small J frames that have a recoil spring, so it could have either, one would have to look, as you didn't give the model. S&W shows both types in the parts diagram. Either, or, that's where the weight mostly comes from, for double action, plus the small trigger spring weight, and the slight amount added by the cylinder stop spring.
What is the recoil spring, and what J-frames have one? Also, what is the trigger spring on a S&W J-frame?

I admit I've only taken a few J-frames apart, but I'm not familiar with those springs.
Old June 1, 2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Zhillsauditor;

Sorry about that, I must have still been thinking about that guys 1911 when I was typing that, but I meant to say, coil spring. I call the rebound slide spring, the trigger spring, as it performs the same function, and its sometimes easier for the gun owner to understand. However, it actually is the rebound slide spring.

I wanted to add that the chief, etc, all use coil springs, but the J frame diagram at Brownell's show both the flat, and then coil on "small" models.

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; June 1, 2013 at 07:09 PM.