The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 7, 2018, 11:39 PM   #1
44 AMP
Staff

What is the most accurate 9mm ammo?

I'm looking for opinions and experience about what brand & load of 9mm Luger ammunition is the most accurate.

I'm not interested in the defensive use and ability, what I'm looking for is what ammo & load have you found to be the most accurate, overall, in your gun, or in several guns. Target loads are ok.

what commercial ammo have you found that shoots the smallest groups??

The point of the exercise is that a friend has acquired a new Sig P-210, a design with the reputation of being among, if not the most accurate semi auto 9mm there is. So, we're looking for recommendations for the best (most accurate) ammo to use for testing it.

In addition, we hope to compare the P-210's accuracy against the most accurate 9mm handgun I have, which is the decidedly non-service pistol class T/C Contender.

Again, the only object here is to see what size groups the guns are capable of, (and in human hands, not a machine rest) and we wish for a good, accurate factory load to use to "level the playing field" as far as ammo is concerned.

So, share, if you will, who's ammo, and loading you have found to be the most accurate 9mm Luger you have used, or know of..
Old April 8, 2018, 02:01 AM   #2
marine6680

I have never noticed any difference between brands of quality ammo...

Don't really see much difference with cheap FMJ either, but maybe you would at 25yds.
Old April 8, 2018, 02:07 AM   #3
Rob228

I'd think Federal, but honestly when it comes to 9mm if I'm not buying carry ammo I buy whatever the cheapest brass-cased ammo is.
Old April 8, 2018, 04:05 AM   #4
Brit

The Sig 210 I was lent, just joined a Gun Club, in the UK, when I was 18 YOA 1953.

The owner was a retired Army Officer. All I had fired a lot, prior to this pistol, Webley Air Pistols. The range was twenty yards long. The group I shot, incredible. Little brown box 64 rounds in the box. Sten Gun Ammo. That bullseye target hung around for a long time.

I think Winchester 147g Ranger T is incredibly accurate. Try it.
Old April 8, 2018, 05:11 AM   #5
Black Wolf

I've been paying a lot more attention to accuracy, lately. I'm really trying to dial my game in and I want to make sure I can NOT out shoot my equipment, otherwise, I can not improve.

This is going to sound insane, but - I found Tula to be more accurate than Federal. Who'd have thunk it.

Now I pretty much just shoot my own loads, which I lined up against MagTech with better results, so I can not tell you anything other than (for me) Tula > Federal.
Old April 8, 2018, 05:25 AM   #6
cptjack

had an old friend who was a wwII Corsair pilot and still carried his 45 ,told me the secret was the barrel ,he would have the armorer change the barrel till was accurate to his satisfaction,, so accuracy has to do with the firearm
Old April 8, 2018, 05:31 AM   #7
Black Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjack View Post
had an old friend who was a wwII Corsair pilot and still carried his 45 ,told me the secret was the barrel ,he would have the armorer change the barrel till was accurate to his satisfaction,, so accuracy has to do with the firearm
There's truth to that, but it is not the only factor. Really you have: Gun (bbl is a big part of that), Ammo, Shooter. These are the three variable in accuracy. From what I've seen (from myself as well as others) SHOOTER seems to be the weakest link in accuracy. Putting a gun in a Ransom Rest tells a lot about the gun or ammo that folks call inaccurate.
Old April 8, 2018, 06:07 AM   #8
bbqncigars

I would personally rate trigger over barrel. My new P-210A really likes the 115gr JHP HP-38 handloads, but I won't have the opportunity to try out some factory rounds until the weather improves.
Old April 8, 2018, 06:48 AM   #9
Jim Watson

ASYM Action Match uses the Zero conical JHP which my PPC Master friend tells me is the leading choice for accurate 9mm.
https://asymammo.com/shop-ammo/handg...ammo/1911-9mm/

The most accurate 9mm I have shot from my P210 was a reload with Sierra JHP, but the Nosler FMJ was the best of its kind. Too bad they don't make that one any more.

Too bad you can't get the Swiss service ammo that my P210 was shot with at the factory.
Old April 8, 2018, 07:36 AM   #10
74A95

Here you go:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ho...er-match-ammo/

Atlanta Arms 115 grain JHP and FMJ ammo did very well in that article. The most accurate was Browning 147 FMJ ammo, with a 10-shot average of 1.38". Pretty good for off-the-shelf ammo. Another brand to look at is Wilson Combat. They have 115 and 125 grain Match ammo with an accuracy guarantee that also performs very well.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm-Com.../A9-115-HAP-C/
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm-Bil...fo/A9-125-HAP/
Old April 8, 2018, 08:45 AM   #11
tallball

I feel that it's the combination of gun and ammo. Some guns like Brand X better, some guns like Brand Y better.
Old April 8, 2018, 09:00 AM   #12
WVsig

There is no round that will universally be more accurate in every single gun. Even within the same model of gun, for example the P210, one gun might be more accurate with one round over another.

If you want to eek out every bit of accuracy from a particular gun the only way to do it is to reload ammo for that particular gun. You will have to experiment with bullet types and bullet weights. You will built the round to work best in that gun based on the chamber the length to the lands and the grooves. Its twist etc...

If you are talking strictly commercial ammo then it is trial and error and just because brand X is the most accurate today does not mean it will stay that way. Ammo manufacturers change stuff all the time based on market and availability or powders, primer types etc...
Old April 8, 2018, 11:20 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

I'm pretty well grounded in the differences between different guns and their preferences, as well as handloading for accuracy, and the variables of human vs machine rest.

What I'm looking for is general, like "brand A's 115gr never seems to do better than 3" for me, but their 147gr does 2" in my guns, Brand X's 124 does 2-3" in my guns but their 115 only manages 5" patterns...."

things like that. And, "I just shoot what's cheapest, they all seem about the same to me" is a valid answer as well. Like wise "white box generic does well in 3 of my guns and shoots like crap in #4".

All answers are helpful, some are more useful than others.

We will be testing a variety of things, I'm just looking for general trends and if you know of anything that generally out performs the rest by a little, or a lot, if such a thing exists, to use as a baseline for comparisons.
Old April 8, 2018, 11:39 AM   #14
sigarms228

For my self I would have to say Federal American Eagle 124 and 147 as far as reasonably priced range ammo. There is a great review of the American P210-A on SIGforum by a member there and he had excellent results with American Eagle 124 in his P210-A. I will see if I can find the link.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/4320043434

I have never tried it myself but remember reading threads where those looking for about the best accuracy you can get from manufactured ammo were mentioning Atlanta Arms ammo.

https://atlantaarms.com/

Again I have no experience with it but remember being impressed with seeing Black Hills Ammo often having best groups for a pistol when tested for accuracy from a bench or rest with a variety of ammo. Midway has some of their 9MM offerings of box of 20 in stock.

http://www.black-hills.com/

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...ItemsPerPage=0

Last edited by sigarms228; April 8, 2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old April 8, 2018, 12:11 PM   #15
WVsig

For factory ammo I like Swiss Greco 124 gr. It is very consistent and well made. Shoots nice groups in Sigs, CZs, 1911s & Glocks.

Mem is high quality NATO ball. Outstanding German quality. https://www.sgammo.com/product/surpl...-germany-men9b

For me what separates avg plinking ammo and good target ammo is consistency lot to lot. You just don't get that with WWB, Blazer etc.. but then again I don't shoot for tiny groups very often so take my info with a grain of salt.
Old April 8, 2018, 01:22 PM   #16
Hammerhead

Winchester USA 147 JHP was very accurate for me in several guns and affordable.
Old April 8, 2018, 01:49 PM   #17
gnystrom

After 55 years of shooting I have come to the conclusion,

the accuracy of the ammo is directly proportional to the skill of the trigger puller.
Old April 8, 2018, 02:11 PM   #18
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom:
the accuracy of the ammo is directly proportional to the skill of the trigger puller.
Yep! The Indian not the bow & arrow, the whole bit! Federal American Eagle 124 grain FMJ’s put nice tight groups on targets when I do my part!
Old April 8, 2018, 03:07 PM   #19
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
Yep! The Indian not the bow & arrow, the whole bit! Federal American Eagle 124 grain FMJ’s put nice tight groups on targets when I do my part!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom
After 55 years of shooting I have come to the conclusion,

This is so true. I do not own a gun that I can out shoot. I do not believe that I out shoot the ammo either. It does not matter if it is my reloads or Tula.

To the OP the "NEW" P210 is really just a 210 in name and look. Most of the things that made the P210 made in Switzerland and even later in Germany is not what you are shooting today if you are buying a SIG P210-A. Either way I really doubt that the ammo or the gun will be the weakest link in the chain.
Old April 8, 2018, 03:21 PM   #20
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
Quote:
gnystrom After 55 years of shooting I have come to the conclusion, the accuracy of the ammo is directly proportional to the skill of the trigger puller.
Ransom Rest results tell a different story. There can be a huge difference in accuracy between different loads.
Old April 8, 2018, 03:30 PM   #21
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
Ransom Rest results tell a different story. There can be a huge difference in accuracy between different loads.
Yeah that is true if it is a steel pistol and if that is your thing. I personally have never understood the love of shooting off a rest of any kind especially a ransom rest. It takes all the skill and the fun out of the exercise. Who cares if the guns shoots 1" groups at 50 yards out of a machine? YMMV

It is another thing if you can shoot that 1" group at 50 using your hands not a rest but most of us can't do that.
Old April 8, 2018, 03:38 PM   #22
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig View Post
Yeah that is true if it is a steel pistol and if that is your thing. I personally have never understood the love of shooting off a rest of any kind especially a ransom rest. It takes all the skill and the fun out of the exercise. Who cares if the guns shoots 1" groups at 50 yards out of a machine? YMMV
Are you saying that non-steel guns (aluminum, polymer) don't have a difference in accuracy with different ammo if fired from a Ransom Rest?
Old April 8, 2018, 03:52 PM   #23
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
Are you saying that non-steel guns (aluminum, polymer) don't have a difference in accuracy with different ammo if fired from a Ransom Rest?
Ransom rests are best for steel framed guns. Polymer framed guns need to be set into a rest before they are giving accurate results. If you have not properly setup your ransom rest for polymer framed guns it will not give you "true" results because the frame flexes. It is much hard to get accurate results from a polymer gun in a ramson rest. You have introduced a lot more variables which can skew the data. I am saying that more variables come into play with a polymer gun. Alum guns in general are the same as steel. So maybe my statement should have been "metal pistol".

I think the general sentiment stands. Who cares if X ammo shoots better out of Y gun off a machine rest that takes the shooter completely out of the equation. It has ZERO meaning the the real world because the variance you are going to see from one round to another is going to be nothing compared to the variance you are going to introduce shooting that gun out of your hands which lets be honest is a lot more fun.

Hey if your thing is building a plywood base custom fitting inserts to properly vise a gun into a Ransom Rest to see which round shoots tighter groups knock yourself out. IMHO it is meaningless and a total waste of time. YMMV
Old April 8, 2018, 04:06 PM   #24
74A95

There are three factors that contribute to accuracy. They aren't the same and should not be confused with one another.

1) The accuracy potential of the ammunition. Not all ammo is equally accurate. That is the subject of this thread, if I'm reading the OP's post correctly.

2) The mechanical accuracy of the gun. Not all guns are equally accurate.

3) The skill of the shooter. Not all shooters are equally skilled. Your comments appear to be directed to this factor.
Old April 8, 2018, 04:16 PM   #25
rock185

44 AMP, I've found accurate 9MM pistols to be very forgiving as to the type of ammo used, with JHP ammo generally displaying the best accuracy. A factory load that has performed very well in my SIG, and other 9MMs, has been the Federal "9BP" 115 JHP. I've also found that 147 grain JHP ammo also tends to shoot very well in any of my 9MMs. My best accuracy results with reloads used the old Sierra 115 JHC. I am not good enough to determine what pistol or load is most accurate shooting freehand, so I do shoot from the bench over some sort of rest to remove as much human error as possible. I do this because I am interested in what the gun and ammo is capable of, regardless of how steady or shaky the shooter might be on that particular day. I suspect a competently utilized Ransom rest would sort out some of these questions relatively quickly. The three factors cited by 74A95 are consistent with my experience.........

But, different guns will undoubtedly perform best with whatever ammo that particular gun likes best. It would be fortunate if both guns performed best with the same ammo, but that might not be the case. I'd be surprised to learn that the 210 with it's best ammo, would outperform your Contender with it's best performing ammo. Within my humble experience, 210s are certainly accurate pistols, whether of Swiss, German or US manufacture. But the Contender with it's fixed barrel is reportedly capable of rifle like accuracy. Can a semi-auto pistol compete with that level of accuracy? Especially if your Contender is scoped, and the 210 utilizes iron sights. Hope you'll share some of your results with us.