The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 22, 2018, 12:08 AM   #1
Northrider

New to me K 98

I am now the proud owner of a 1943 Mod 98 Mauser. From what I have learned so far, it was made in Germany (byf factory) and captured by the Russians. Stock and receiver have same serial #, but the stock is most likely not the original one. Receiver and barrel, trigger guard and trigger are all painted black and stock is heavily shellacked. Bore looks good and there are a couple of stamped Nazi Eagles with the swastikas that aren't peened out on the receiver in the proper spots. I spent a lot of time cleaning it yesterday and hope to go out and shoot it soon.
I know, I know, this post is worthless without photos. Will try to rectify that tomorrow, if I can remember how to do it.

Shoot Safe and Often
Old March 22, 2018, 12:41 AM   #2
10-96

That sounds pretty cool. I don't know that I've seen more than one or two black stocks like that. Does it appear to be a finish that would date back to the 40's or 50's?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 22, 2018, 01:33 AM   #3
In The Ten Ring

I used to be a serious K98 collector. "byf" is the code for Mauser.

The Russians took every K98 apart, melted down the bad parts, removed all the cleaning rods and melted those down too, and put them back together with the best parts. The only things they didn't remove were barrels from receivers.

1943 date is correct for a laminated stock. If yours is solid walnut that's a bonus actually as those are more rare. Cupped buttplate is a bonus too, depending on who you speak with.

You can remove the shellac with denatured alcohol (if I remember correctly) and then refinish. Some guys use motor oil, some tung oil, I don't recall what is proper. You can find out I'm sure.

The Russians were bad to put daily quotas on everything and failure to meet those meant Siberian salt mines. That's why the peens often missed the Nazi markings (and we are happy about that). Intact swastikas mean higher value.

What are your plans? I used to compete in a match where only 98's were allowed.
Old March 24, 2018, 05:54 AM   #4
hooligan1

Mauser rifles are so cool, I cannot quit picking them up when I find a bargain.
If they are in full military config, I leave them like that, but when I get recievers only I get some custom work done and build hunting rifles. My favorite full military configured mauser that I own is a 1908 Brazilian, all parts matching with a pristine barrel and trigger, I put an Instamount on it so I could see to shoot it a little better, its a 7×57 mauser that handloaded 175 grn Sierra BTSP shoot less than moa at 100 yds....I really dig that rifle, mostly because its an ole Mauser....
Old March 24, 2018, 11:21 AM   #5
emcon5

If you want, you can remove the shellac with denatured alcohol and 0000 steel wool, it should come right off. I did that to mine, then cleaned as much dirt and Soviet filth off it as I could, and gave it a couple coats of Boiled Linseed Oil. Turned out OK, but much darker than it would have been originally:

The red "grain" is actually the glue used to make the laminate stock.

Here is a good thread to read:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...an-capture-98k

On edit: I also made printable versions of the original German acceptance targets, scaled for 50, 75, and 100 yards that work pretty well for the standard K98k sights. Details, and download links here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ptance-Targets
Old March 24, 2018, 11:34 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

Do not put motor oil on wood. It has all kinds of other stuff in it that can damage wood. Use BLO or Tung Oil. The latter requires correct application over several days. Thin coats rubbed in with 24 hours drying time between coats and a clean, lint free, cloth, every day. Isn't exactly historically accurate though.
Old March 24, 2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Dufus

My Dad got me one of those for my 14th birthday. He paid $14.95 for it at Monkey Wards.

I have acquired 2 more since that time.

I stripped the stock, sanded, and re-stained it not long after I got the first one. BC Tru-Oil gave a decent finish.

The other two are still original.

I can get good 2" groups at 200 yds with them with hand loads.

Shot my first deer with it many years ago.
Old April 1, 2018, 02:40 AM   #8
Northrider

Thank you all for your replies and words of advice and links to more information. I have been traveling for work and then training this past week and had no time to express my thanks until now.
Have a relaxing Easter and stay safe.
Old April 1, 2018, 07:18 AM   #9
std7mag

Does the bolt match the serial number on the receiver?

Had to ask...
Otherwise nice find!
Old April 1, 2018, 09:46 AM   #10
emcon5

Quote:
Does the bolt match the serial number on the receiver?

Had to ask...
Otherwise nice find!
Russian capture, so the stamping won't match, but the bolt should be electro-penciled with the rifle S/N.
Old April 1, 2018, 06:15 PM   #11
SaxonPig

I recently acquired a "Russian Capture" M98. I will leave it as is for historical perspective. These are usually missing the locking screws and cleaning rod but I replaced them.