The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 1, 2006, 03:36 AM   #1
choochboost

member ratings

A few weeks ago, I briefly saw a small icon next to the "report bad post" icon. I hovered over it which revealed that the icon correlated to the member rating. After I refreshed, it was no longer there. I know I'm not imagining this. What was that all about? Are the members rated?
Old February 1, 2006, 08:40 AM   #2
American4guns

I think members are rated on the amount of posts and threads they have.I dont think its like ,this guys a schmuck lol or this guys a gun God.
If you look under names in posts you see different member classifications.
Old February 1, 2006, 08:53 AM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

It was briefly visible during a software reconfiguration. It is a "feechur" of the software which we do not use. IMO, ratings for threads is bad enough, ratings for members would be a train wreck.

The thing that American4guns is referring to is the "Member Status" of which there are three. Junior Member, Member and Senior Member. These correspond only to the number of posts a member has made.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old February 1, 2006, 08:56 AM   #4
tyme
Staff

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=195625
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 1, 2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Barr

How many posts must a member have before becoming a "senior member"?
Old February 1, 2006, 12:54 PM   #6
tyme
Staff

25 for "member", 100 for "senior member"
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 1, 2006, 02:35 PM   #7
choochboost

Thanks BluesMan for the explanation, and Tyme for the link. That's exactly what I was talking about.

Barr, only 5 more to go before you get the senior member distinction!
Old February 1, 2006, 02:47 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Actually, tyme, I think it's currently set to 15 and 100.
Old February 2, 2006, 04:03 PM   #9
tyme
Staff

Oops, you're right. 15 and 100. (If you ask me it should be 100 and 800 or something. )
Old February 2, 2006, 04:07 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

Agreed.
Old February 2, 2006, 04:17 PM   #11
xjmox14x

On the bodybuilding.com forums, they have points (reputation). In other words, if your very helpful or answer questions well, or make a great thread, you reputation increases. Likewise, if you are nasty and are not helpful at all (This board is actually very good with this), then you get negative rep points. I'd like to see something like this installed.
Old February 12, 2006, 08:25 PM   #12
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

It's been discussed, but those rep systems tend to lead to people whining and playing ugly popularity games. I would not be in favor of introducing them here.

The idea is that you get positive rep for doing good things and negative rep for doing bad things. The reality tends to be that you get negative rep for not agreeing with people and positive rep for agreeing with them.
Old February 12, 2006, 11:27 PM   #13
choochboost

I agree.