The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 30, 2018, 08:12 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Sometimes you can get them back.

In 2009 I sold my minty S&W Model 29-2 to a friend for a killer price in order to have more money for skydiving.

Tomorrow I get to buy it back from the same friend, for the same price.

Sometimes, you can get them back.
Old March 31, 2018, 12:49 PM   #2
jetinteriorguy

You got real lucky. Sounds like a good friend.
Old March 31, 2018, 02:11 PM   #3
Minorcan

A very good friend in deed!!! I would at least buy him a beer or stout Whiskey.
Old March 31, 2018, 02:43 PM   #4
moosemike

I never do.
Old March 31, 2018, 03:10 PM   #5
lamarw

I don't either simply because I have never sold one.

You are fortunate indeed.
Old March 31, 2018, 03:43 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Lesson learned! But don't count on getting one back if you make the same mistake again!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 31, 2018, 08:24 PM   #7
moosemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
I don't either simply because I have never sold one.

You are fortunate indeed.
I've sold close to 150.
Old March 31, 2018, 08:39 PM   #8
lamarw

That's a bunch.
Old March 31, 2018, 09:17 PM   #9
Rangerrich99

Nice.

The closest I ever came to that was about eight years ago, when I found an almost mint SIG P229 at the LGS, complete with the extra .357 SIG barrel and four 12-rd mags for $600. Well, at that moment I didn't have the money for it, but I was getting paid in two days. My buddy who'd come with me to look at it intercepted me and bought that SIG right in front of me.

Fast forward to two years ago. My buddy decided he wanted a brand-new SIG 1911 Nightmare, and graciously offered to sell that P229 to me for $500.

It shoots better than I thought it would.
Old March 31, 2018, 11:48 PM   #10
In The Ten Ring

Well guys, I got her back! I was even short $15.00 but he said "pay me later." He threw in 3 speed loaders, a box of shells, and the new Hogue grips plus the original grips. *I had given him 3/4 a box of shells when I sold it to him.

The gun survived his parents' house burning down, it was in the safe. They bought that safe after I bought my safe, no doubt, encouraged as my friend helped me move the safe in.

We each shot her a few times today, the grips really helped to make shooting the full power Norma loads easier, but recoil was still stout.

I showed it to my dad and he was impressed. The cylinder line is still just as hard to see as it was the day I got her in 2003. My friend had barely shot her any and kept her very well oiled.

Good idea on the whiskey! I'll get him a bottle of something premium and take it to him.

I plan to contact S&W for their original serial number research on their letterhead.
Old April 1, 2018, 05:50 AM   #11
crazy charlie

About 1990 I bought a Colt Mustang +2 from an acquaintance who need money for about $200 thereabouts.
I took it to the range once and couldn't hit -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- with it.(probably the ammo)
About 15 yrs. ago a relative came to me and wanted a small pistol and I sold it to him for $100.
About 2 yrs ago his wife suggested he get rid of it. He never fired it and it was in the original box sitting in a closet gathering dust.
To make a long story short I bought it back from him. I ran a patch down the bore, bought some ammo for it, installed some safety device that Colt mailed to me for free. Took it to the range and at 5 yds. it was a tack driver.
Cleaned it, put it back in the box with a new owners manual and haven't touched it except for periodic inspection.
By the way, I paid him back the $100.
Old April 1, 2018, 08:19 AM   #12
CajunBass

I don't know how many guns I've bought and sold over the years, but it's been a bunch. I can't say I've missed any of them, because (1) I don't get emotionally attached to guns, and (2) there is always another one just waiting to turn up, so they can be replaced.

I think I have on at least two occasions bought the same gun twice. One I know for sure. I traded it in, then a couple of weeks later, my wife saw it in the case, and liked it, so I ended up buying it again. I figure it cost me about the same as a pawn fee.

The other one, a Dan Wesson 22, just looked familiar due to a slight blemish on the right side of the frame, but never could say for sure.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 1, 2018, 09:21 AM   #13
moosemike

Guns are great but some of them are a whole lot more fun in theory than in actuality. And some just get boring after awhile. I like using guns that I'm "done with" to fund guns that are calling to me to come get them. I figure I'm richer for the experience because I've owned so many and that means I know my way around so many different guns and platforms. With that said there are some I miss badly. Especially my Colt Detective Special, King Cobra, and both my Official Police .38's. I'd buy any of those back for the money I sold them for. Which ain't ever gonna happen.
Old April 3, 2018, 07:24 AM   #14
Hal

Sold it to go skydiving eh?

Was it worth it?

Old April 3, 2018, 09:58 AM   #15
lockedcj7

That's awesome. I've bought and sold several guns between friends and we always have a gentleman's agreement that if the other ever wants to sell one of them, the original owner gets first right of refusal at the original price.

I have bought and sold many guns over the years, most because I liked the idea of them more than the reality, and I can't afford to keep everything. I try not to sell things that are rare, hard to replace, or have sentimental value. Guns that are common are easy to replace so I can always buy another one if I end up regretting the sale.
Old April 3, 2018, 03:09 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

I've had a couple come back to me.
The only one that really mattered was my '93 Super Blackhawk. I traded it for a rifle, regretted it instantly, and kept hounding the owner for several years.
Eventually, he gave in and let me have it back as partial payment of a debt that he owed me.

It won't give it up voluntarily again.