The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 6, 2019, 07:18 PM   #1
stagpanther

bipod vs front bag rest

Which do you prefer--and why? Thanks in advance.
Old March 6, 2019, 09:21 PM   #2
TXAZ

Bipod. More versatile and accurate.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 6, 2019, 09:22 PM   #3
reynolds357

Front bag. More accurate.
Old March 6, 2019, 09:40 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

For accurate shooting, bags are best. Out in the field hunting you might like the bipod because it's easier to tote around...it's on the gun. A soft bag will always be better for groups but a bipod may be good enough anyway. Just depends how much it opens the group. Usually, not all that much unless you're using it on a very hard surface like concrete or wood bench.
Old March 7, 2019, 12:42 AM   #5
stagpanther

I just recently decided to start using a bipod more often with my AR's, though I'm shooting off a bench. My precision/accuracy is very close to what I get with bags--but keeping the gun still seems a bit more problematic for me.
Old March 7, 2019, 04:51 AM   #6
std7mag

I have a front & rear bag for my accuracy shooting.
I have and use bipods on several rifles.
Realisticly i haven't had the opportunity to use a bipod while hunting.
I end up using a tree, or if time/ distance allows do a field expedient bench with my pack and a light weight folding stool, or worst scenario, free hand.
I've since started taking the bipods off unless i'm at the range.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 7, 2019, 05:31 AM   #7
stagpanther

Are bipods usually the preference of mostly prone shooters? I presently shoot like like 7mag as far as rests and in the field are concerned--but I too live in the east. Seems most the long range comp shooters shoot prone off of bipods.
Old March 7, 2019, 07:41 AM   #8
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Are bipods usually the preference of mostly prone shooters? I presently shoot like like 7mag as far as rests and in the field are concerned--but I too live in the east. Seems most the long range comp shooters shoot prone off of bipods.
I hunt a lot of woodchucks and I usually try to shoot prone. It's just steadier since you give the back of the gun some support with your elbows on the ground. Sometimes predator hunting I end up sitting up against a tree or something and watch for things coming in. At those times I usually put the bipod extended for sitting and try to rest my elbows on my knees if I can. It's not as steady as laying prone, but withing a couple of hundred yards it's usually good enough to connect on a fox, coyote, and sometimes even woodchucks. It's not that shooting sitting is terrible, it's just not as steady as prone. Bipods on soft ground are pretty decent for shooting groups, they're a problem shooing them off hard wooden benches or worse yet, concrete benches. Just too much "bounce" when you fire and the harmonics of the barrel are really changed.
Old March 7, 2019, 09:13 AM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
Bipods on soft ground are pretty decent for shooting groups, they're a problem shooing them off hard wooden benches or worse yet, concrete benches. Just too much "bounce" when you fire and the harmonics of the barrel are really changed.
Thanks for that--I have noticed the bounce on my hard surfaced bench; though I have soft rubber feet on the bipod I'm using. I'm interested in what you say about barrel harmonics bering changed--how does that happen using a device completely external of the barrel system? Prone with bipod seems to be the choice of extreme long range shooters--so I think they must choose it for optimal accuracy and precision enhancements?
Old March 7, 2019, 10:33 AM   #10
NoSecondBest

It's external to the barrel, but not to the gun. The entire gun moves differently when sitting on a hard surface and the barrel goes along for the ride. Don't just think about the barrel when you think of this.
Old March 7, 2019, 11:01 AM   #11
Pahoo

Bags on the bench; Bipods for field !!!

Quote:
For accurate shooting, bags are best. Out in the field hunting you might like the bipod because it's easier to tote around...it's on the gun.
That has been my experience and you can test it yourself, next time you go to the range. Keep in mind that we are referring to rifle mounted bipods. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old March 7, 2019, 11:04 AM   #12
armednfree

The answer is, it depends. With a bipod you get convenience and the ability to move the rifle. With bags ( which I often use) you are locked into a cone of fire. Outside that cone you have to move your body or the bags.
Old March 7, 2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Zen Archery

Bipod.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
But I do practice with my back pack on those occasions that a Bi-Pod just aint gonna cut it.
Old March 7, 2019, 12:39 PM   #14
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
I just recently decided to start using a bipod more often with my AR's, though I'm shooting off a bench. My precision/accuracy is very close to what I get with bags--but keeping the gun still seems a bit more problematic for me.
I've done this too. Bags are better, but they don't weigh mere ounces or fold up to stow in the range bag either.

A bipod makes getting down onto the concrete easier without getting the rifle and scope buggered up just because I don't need to find a good place to put it when getting down; pretty much anywhere that will support the three points of the tripod (bipod and buttstock) is good enough.
Old March 7, 2019, 01:58 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

No bipod will ever be as stable as a sand bag. Bipods are for hunting, not target shooting or testing loads.
Neither are "accurate" though. They're just rests.
"...most the long range comp shooters..." That'd depend entirely on the match. Lotta matches don't allow any kind of rest. Even 1,000 yard matches.
Old March 7, 2019, 05:52 PM   #16
ms6852

Bipods need to be loaded properly when shooting prone or any other position to stabilize them. Not every one know how to load the bipod properly and if you have to ask how to load it properly you are one of them. They are very convenient for hunting but off the bench a sandbag is best and provides more consistency in accuracy.
Old March 7, 2019, 06:34 PM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
if you have to ask how to load it properly you are one of them
I'm one of them.
I've heard that the further out the attachment point the more stable the set-up is--but am not familiar with how to load the rifle--is this an additional weighting thing?
Old March 8, 2019, 12:13 PM   #18
ocharry

i like them both

if im home shooting out the shop door on the bench,,working on loads,,,,i like the tack driver bag

if im hunting,, i have a BogPod (2 leg version)that i really like,,,it has a big o-ring type band that holds the rifle in the crotch and i can move it around ,,,its kinda fastened to the rifle,,,when i am moving i can take it off and put it in my pack,,,,really handy and make a good rest

ocharry
Old March 8, 2019, 12:54 PM   #19
stagpanther

One thing's for sure (to me anyway) the more you know--the more versatility you will have depending upon the circumstances.
Old March 8, 2019, 09:56 PM   #20
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I'm one of them.
I've heard that the further out the attachment point the more stable the set-up is--but am not familiar with how to load the rifle--is this an additional weighting thing?
Depending on how you mount your bipod where it folds towards the muzzle or towards the rifle stock loading means that if your bipod folds towards the muzzle than you lean forward so the legs lock into place. I f the bipod folds towards the stock than you lean back so that the legs lock in place. By doing this it just creates a firmer platform. This video explains very well and it is less than 4 minutes. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udn8dVSiVvc
Old March 8, 2019, 10:41 PM   #21
stagpanther

Very useful info--thanks for that.
Old March 9, 2019, 01:19 PM   #22
Don Fischer

Anybody know a competitive bench shooter that use's a bi pod?
Old March 9, 2019, 01:44 PM   #23
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I don't.
Old March 10, 2019, 10:49 AM   #24
Pahoo

Great reply !!!

Quote:
Best and simplest reply to the OP. …….

Be Safe !!!
Old March 10, 2019, 11:48 AM   #25
ocharry

nope

ocharry