The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 17, 2019, 02:30 PM   #1
Ignition Override

Just tried Seal One, a "CLP": first time. Question...

"A vow of silence", for the meek.
Using the liquid version, the question concerns the various reviews and the company founder's ads that it is designated as a "Dry Lube".

My decision was to order only the liquid, and after the previous stuff (Breakfree and a bit of Mobil One grease on rails) was removed with iso. alcohol, the liquid Seal was applied.

Although almost all of the excess Seal One was wiped off last night, the residue still feels a bit moist. It is non-toxic, by the way.

* Does anybody know how much (liquid) is needed on the rails to provide adequate lube for the handgun slides, and rifle bolt carriers?

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 18, 2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old January 22, 2019, 09:14 AM   #2
BobCat45

Have you shot the firearm since you used this stuff? If so, do you have any impressions?

I'm interested because, being pretty old-school, I know I'm behind the times and want to know what 'new' stuff seems good.

I use Lubriplate - 130 I think -on bolt carrier rings, pistol slides, and Garand op rod and so forth. I clean with Ed's Red, and often Hoppes #9 to remove any copper fouling I imagine there might be (usually none or minimal). But I know this is old-fashioned and want to get into the current century, hence my interest in this. Looked it up, Amazon sells it, lots of great positive reviews, but those may not be worth the electrons they're made of.
Old February 3, 2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Ignition Override

After just two-three weeks, a comparison might not be valid. A gun with nothing on slides/rails, i.e. No visible CLP and no Mobile One probably wouldn't feel this smooth.
Racking the CZ and other slides feels different, even when they look dry.

The mistake some people seem to make is not following directions: First using isopropyl alcohol to wipe away a previous petroleum-based cleaner, before using Seal One OR FrogLube (same chemical). And not using too much...

Two videos I recommend, which depicts recommended cleaning steps After the prev. products have been removed:
"Cleaning the 1911 With Seal One" by rbhusson.

"Cleaning And Lubricating the M&P..." by Darth Carlos. Both these guys' detailed videos along with a few others confirm that I made the right decision to switch products. They seem to be experienced users.

Both of these guys use it as recommended.

A major emphasis is to allow nothing to go into firing pin channels or firing pins. Using way too much can allow this to happen, as you realize.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 3, 2019 at 11:22 PM.