The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 13, 2019, 09:09 PM   #1
reteach

Indoor range in Austin

Howdy. My adult daughter and I are going shooting in Austin in a couple of weeks. She has shot before (and was good at it) but hasn't handled any guns in a long time.

So, looking for recommendations for a good indoor range for handguns in Austin, TX. I have checked the internet and read reviews. Just want to hear from you folks.
Thanks.
Old January 14, 2019, 07:44 AM   #2
TxFlyFish

Recommended: Shady Oaks in Cedar Park, Reds indoor pfluggerville
Not recommended: The Gun Range (for poor customer service and price), eagle peak (overzealous safety officer but cheaper)

Shady oaks is a little more expensive than reds but safest and newer facility, and generally feels like a more relaxed atmosphere. Very friendly folks.
Old January 14, 2019, 04:23 PM   #3
Armybrat

Shady Oaks is well run with a helpful staff.

Too many bullet holes in the shooting lane overheads at Red’s to suit me. The clientele can be a bit sketchy at times, but maybe they think the same about me.
Old January 14, 2019, 07:39 PM   #4
TxFlyFish

Yea reds tend to draw the “Groupon” crowd and first time “look I have a shotgun” selfies, but ah I can’t say much bad about them they have been solid and customer friendly through the years. The RO will actually kick out people who are unsafe
Old January 14, 2019, 07:41 PM   #5
reteach

Thanks. I liked the look of Shady Oaks from the web reviews. I appreciate the confirmation.
Old January 16, 2019, 04:27 PM   #6
tmlynch

Quote:
eagle peak (overzealous safety officer but cheaper)
Eagle Peak is all outdoors.

Haven't been to Shady Oaks, so I can't offer an opinion on it. You would pass it about 10 minutes before you got to Eagle Peak.

I've never had a problem at either of the Red's locations, but I don't get there frequently.

Good luck!
Tom
Old February 3, 2019, 02:36 PM   #7
reteach

Our trip to the range got postponed a bit but the daughter and her boyfriend and I went to Shady Oaks this past Friday. Excellent experience for the two of them. For me, too. Friendly, welcoming staff. Clean, well-ventilated, well-lighted place. Nice wide lanes. I was watching both of the younger people shoot but couldn't see everything and RO's pointed out a couple of things to me so I could tell the newbies. I appreciated that. I would definitely go back to Shady Oaks if I needed a range in Austin.
Old February 3, 2019, 03:00 PM   #8
TXAZ

FYI Austin is very-anti firearms and has outlawed ranges in the city.
But I had a reasonable experience at Reds a few years ago.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes