The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 6, 2014, 03:34 PM   #1
RAfiringline

Home defense, mounted gun lights - any opinions?

The context of this is a home defense gun (handgun, shotgun, compact M4 type, whatever) with a mounted light - is it a good or bad idea?

For a long time my thought was that I didn't want a light right in front of my body that if accurately fired at was going lead to me being hit. But, I've recently tried one out, and I have to say that it's obviously easier and more controlled than holding a flashlight away from the body, and the gun in the other hand.

Is a gun mounted light by being more controlled, better at avoiding an unnecessary or accidental shooting?

Thanks

Last edited by RAfiringline; December 6, 2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old December 6, 2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Carne Frio

I am using one on my AR. I actuate it with my
left hand. My trigger would be pulled with my
right. I am not in favor of using the same hand
to pull the trigger, actuate the light and hold the
gun. For me, it is too risky for an accident to
happen on my handgun. If you have a light on
any defense gun, you need specific training, just
like police/military.
Old December 6, 2014, 04:14 PM   #3
skizzums

the name of the thread just showed....home defense mounted gun, I had to see that.
Old December 6, 2014, 04:46 PM   #4
psalm7

I pictured a turrent mounted LMG on rails running thrugh the house . But as to the weapon mounted light we just had that discussion and we decided to dissagree on the subject .
Old December 6, 2014, 05:13 PM   #5
jmr40

I used to think it a fad. I now believe the idea is proven. I have lights mounted on a couple of handguns as well as a shotgun and one of my AR's now. You don't have to use them if not needed. If used correctly they can be a huge advantage.
Old December 6, 2014, 06:28 PM   #6
psalm7

True that .
Old December 6, 2014, 08:17 PM   #7
teejhot.40cal

Have one on my shotgun. It was a police trade I got and the light is integrated into the forearm. I love it but I wouldnt of paid extra for it. I would not that i have it.
Old December 6, 2014, 09:16 PM   #8
hartcreek

Didn't we just do this thread a week or so ago but with pictures. I sure remember taking a photo of my 624 with its Aimpoint Lazer mounted under the grip and posting it. I have this little slip on diffuser that takes some of the Lazer light and converts it to a red flash light with a red dot in the center.
Old December 6, 2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Snyper

Here you go:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553273
Old December 6, 2014, 09:37 PM   #10
JERRYS.

"night lights" strategically placed throughout the house work well for identifying people in your house. they also saves your toes when you get up to rummage through the fridge or go to the bathroom. of course an alarm system is paramount.
Old December 6, 2014, 11:17 PM   #11
Mobuck

Both light and laser w/hand guard switches on my bedside AR. If/when I click them on, someone is about to have an exceptionally bad day.
Old December 7, 2014, 12:37 AM   #12
hartcreek

Thanks Snyper

Thanks Snyper.....I am up at the cabin with only dialup so I could not go digging for the thread.
Old December 7, 2014, 12:40 AM   #13
skizzums

I have a 300lumen light on my AR, but it won't ever come out to play for home defense, I don't even keep the bolt in it. but it you focus that as tight as it goes, you can see clearly out to 50-75yards for critters
Old December 7, 2014, 05:43 AM   #14
wojtekimbier

I feel like there were dozens of threads on this exact topic and people create a new one every few weeks instead of searching forums...
Some folks think it's bad to point muzzle at something just to see what it is, thus it's better to have a separate flashlight in your other hand.
Some people believe it's beneficial to have a mounted light so you can use your free hand for other tasks such as calling 911, opening doors etc.
Many good arguments are always brought up so I'm never fully convinced to either side, but it doesn't hurt to have a mounted light just in case you need it.
Old December 7, 2014, 09:29 AM   #15
psalm7

I have a inferred lens on my pentagon light to go with night NVD , Im going to look into that deffuser lens .

Last edited by psalm7; December 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old December 7, 2014, 11:41 AM   #16
Theohazard

Ha, on the "last post" column on the main page, this thread is listed as "Home defense, mounted gun". I honestly expected this thread to be about a gun on a pintle mount looking out a front window or something.
Old December 7, 2014, 12:46 PM   #17
Jim243

Some like them, some don't. I always have one attached, You don't always have to turn it on, but when you do it will help you hit your target.

Just my 2 cents, stay safe and shoot straight.
Jim
Old December 8, 2014, 08:22 PM   #18
DannyB1954

I would go with night lights in the house. preferably with battery back ups for power failures, ( both caused by the power company or the intruder).
To me, the fewer accessories that I have on the gun, the more reliable the weapon is. What happens if they do not work and you are used to having them?
I would also prefer that the intruder not know for certain what direction that I am coming from.

Last edited by DannyB1954; December 8, 2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old December 9, 2014, 02:25 AM   #19
Gun Slide Guy

better to have the option and not need it. Short bursts of light to acquire target, make sure it's a threat, and keep moving until if/when you need to engage it. Its your house, so you should be able to find your way around in the dark better than the intruder.
Old December 9, 2014, 02:28 PM   #20
45_auto

With proper training, it can be an asset.

Unfortunately, the first three words of that previous sentence make the last five words inapplicable to the vast majority of gunowners. The vast majority will see zero training, and very little practice beyond the first few minutes of playing with their latest toy.

If the light is actually needed in a life or death situation, the manipulations required to utilize it (improperly at that) will distract them when they can least afford any distractions.
Old December 9, 2014, 06:54 PM   #21
Panfisher

My AR has a very basic Tr1 I think mounted so that I can either activate it or not with left hand comes in very handy at night out in the country. Don't have one on .45 and probably wouldn't if given a choice. YMMV. Honestly don't believe there is a right or wrong choice simply preference.
Old December 10, 2014, 08:47 AM   #22
g.willikers

An often discussed subject.
My 2 cents is:
Always be very familiar with your equipment whatever it is.
Otherwise it's a hindrance and not an asset.
A light on a long gun - yes, but not on a handgun.
In one's own house, just turning on the lights and quickly finding good cover might be best.
No giving away of position and possibly confusing for the intruder.
If you're going to be roaming around the house looking for possible trouble, better be prepared for it.
It's an area of skill all its own.
Old December 10, 2014, 09:38 AM   #23
riflemen

I think a lot of thought should go into a designated purpose built "home defense" firearm...

I have tried holding the flashlight manipulating a firearm at the same time, and while it is not impossible, its just not as smooth and efficient as a rail mounted light {for me}. Also it seems like my follow up shots improve a noticable amount with the light mounted, the weight helps with recoil and keeps the front of the gun aimed...

IMO a full sized 1911 rail gun with a strobe light and a laser of some sort is the best HD weapon for me, I have tried many things and I like what I came up with in the end...

It all boils down to what you like, I think a light of some sort should be incorporated into all home invasion defense scenarios, just how you want to do it is up to you, weapon mounted, hand held, head mounted lol, what ever makes you feel comfortable and can efficiently function...

After we had the hd class at our local range a bunch of members built guns {me included}, there were some pretty impressive models and out of 7 guys only 1 didn't have a light {it was an older large grip revolver with a laser}, one of the most impressive IMO was a another member who had our smith add a rail to a sw governor ct, he also loaded it with that 410 hd ammo that seemed to be pretty cool, {not completely sold on the effectiveness but looks good on the box}...
Old December 10, 2014, 09:40 AM   #24
johnelmore

Just turn on the lights.
Old December 10, 2014, 01:43 PM   #25
locnload

I have a weapon mounted light on the Glock 30 in my bedside safe. Right next to it is a good bright handheld flashlight. Because the light is attached to the gun doesn't mean you have to use it but having it there is a nice option. You have to make the right tactical decision based on what you know at the time, generally speaking I would use the hand held light to search. If the bump in the night is your teenage son raiding the fridge for a nighttime snack, you dont want to have to point a gun at him to identify the noise. On the other hand, If I'm throwing the door open on a small bedroom and all the homes ocupants are accounted for, I have no problem with using the weapon mounted light and having a two handed grip on the gun ready to do what is needed. Options are good. "War game" some senarios, and safely practice diffrent tactics to deal with them. The ability to think on your feet is paramount in a good defensive strategy.