The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 15, 2018, 05:21 AM   #1
DUNITALL

Powder Coating for B.P.

Has any one tried Powder coated bullets with B.P. rifle and pistols? If so what are the advantages and disadvantages in using them? I use them in my 9 M.M. and they work well.
Old December 15, 2018, 10:06 AM   #2
noelf2

I only use them in cartridges, and with smokeless powder. But I do shoot them from my black powder pistols with conversion cylinders. Polymer helps stop leading up a barrel, but it does nothing to keep black powder fouling soft. Probably not a good idea if you intend to shoot black powder and polymer coated bullets without some other sort of lube as well, like a lubed felt wad or grease cookie under the bullet.
Old December 15, 2018, 04:23 PM   #3
Hawg

In revolvers the powder coating will be removed where the balls contact the rifling so no advantage there. With patched round balls in rifles the ball doesn't touch the rifling so no advantage there. It might work well with minies, it will add some diameter to solid conicals but might work ok once you get them loaded.
Old December 15, 2018, 04:31 PM   #4
TruthTellers

No advantage, disadvantage actually as the lube used for lead bullets in black powder is more to keep fouling soft than to actually lube the bullet.

PC is for smokeless only, it serves no purpose in black powder shooting.
Old December 16, 2018, 03:06 PM   #5
Hellgate

One observation I made at a SASS match is, if you get a squib, it is a muther bear to pound that coated bullet out of the barrel. I've seen lots of bullets stuck in barrels at matches but there were several bent ramrods after pounding out a couple of coated bullets. The poor guy had about 3 squibs and finally went home to pull his ammo. They were stuuuuuuuck!
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 17, 2018, 06:38 AM   #6
DUNITALL

Thank you all. I will stick to using wonder pads and not powder coating. Thanks