The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 9, 2021, 01:15 AM   #26
Hawg

For somebody only going to have one I can't recommend building one. I went with a S&W Sport II. it's a pretty basic package that will do everything I want it to do but I let my wife shoot it and she decided she wanted one. Being the cheapskate she is she went with the Ruger AR 556 because it was 100.00 cheaper. Then she decided she didn't like it so I swapped with her. The Ruger is a good rifle and very accurate but the trigger sucks big time. Now I'm going to have to spend another 100 or so putting a trigger in it.
Old May 9, 2021, 04:23 AM   #27
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
For somebody only going to have one I can't recommend building one. I went with a S&W Sport II. it's a pretty basic package that will do everything I want it to do but I let my wife shoot it and she decided she wanted one. Being the cheapskate she is she went with the Ruger AR 556 because it was 100.00 cheaper. Then she decided she didn't like it so I swapped with her. The Ruger is a good rifle and very accurate but the trigger sucks big time. Now I'm going to have to spend another 100 or so putting a trigger in it.
No ya don't. Try the jp enhanced reliability spring kit. It's like $11 on midway. Will reduce pull weight by 2lb. Just put one in a co-workers rifle. Took it from just under 7lb, down to just under 5lb. Helped reduce creep. And if you clean while your in there it will get rid of most of the grit too.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; May 9, 2021 at 04:45 AM.
Old May 9, 2021, 07:33 AM   #28
Bfglowkey

Grains of Salt

While a avid crusader for the 2A community and a funny guy to watch on the YouTube, Colin is still performing a "paid Advertisement" with this video ( perhaps he isn't but it feels that way). ARs are modular, making it easy to have multiple rifles in minutes due to swapping Uppers. When I went to build/purchase my first AR after being a avid bolt guy, I went with some sound advice that I will pass on:

Purchase or assemble a good Lower, install the best trigger you can afford and then build or purchase your uppers based on what the purpose will be for when you join that Upper to the Lower. If you are plinking on the range or putting rifle near in arms reach for home defense, you simply put whatever upper on and press on. Eventually you will want to have multiple lowers, but do not rush.

Using that I have a solid BLK, 556 and ARC config and started building my 2nd lower. All shoot respectable and were very affordable.
Take your time and enjoy the system. Its fun, practical and may prove necessary in the months to come
Old May 9, 2021, 10:38 AM   #29
jetinteriorguy

My best all around AR is a PSA upper, 16” govt. profile barrel, FN machine gun steel barrel, flash hider, 5.56x45, with a Zero Fail BCG, Carbine length with an H2 buffer, on top of an Anderson lower using Mil Spec parts, a Nickel Boron fire control setup using JP springs. Magpul furniture with Magpul MBUS rear sight cowitnessed with a Vortex Strikefire II and normal military front sight. I’ve run this setup bone dry no lube for 500 rounds one afternoon to test the BCG claims and was satisfied with no FTF’s of any kind. I’ve shot this out to 200 yds and it’s a 2 MOA shooter if I do my part. If I had to do it again the only thing I’d change is from carbine length to mid length in order to use a standard buffer. My all up cost when I put this together about 10 years ago was around $800.00. I have other AR’s that are better at many other things, but this would be my gun to run with.
Old May 9, 2021, 05:21 PM   #30
44caliberkid

My best utility AR, that is stored ready to rock, is a 16 inch carbine, 5.56, carry handle upper and A frame front sight/ gas block, no optic, Michulek muzzel comp, which are awesome, by the way, a light weight BCG, I think by Voodoo Innovations, JP captured spring buffer and Houge furniture, no rails. CMC trigger. Very light, fast handling, sights stay on target through the shot for fast follow up, thanks largely to the comp and light recoil. No bells and whistles, just a reliable, accurate carbine.
Old May 9, 2021, 07:29 PM   #31
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
No ya don't. Try the jp enhanced reliability spring kit. It's like $11 on midway. Will reduce pull weight by 2lb. Just put one in a co-workers rifle. Took it from just under 7lb, down to just under 5lb. Helped reduce creep. And if you clean while your in there it will get rid of most of the grit too.
JP's website says ignition isn't reliable with NATO primers.
Old May 9, 2021, 07:47 PM   #32
Shadow9mm

Quote:
JP's website says ignition isn't reliable with NATO primers.
The JP Website, for the "JP Reliability Enhanced
Spring Kit
" States

Quote:
Application: Use of this spring kit allows for use of ammunition with low-sensitivity primers such as those found in NATO-spec and various foreign-manufactured ammunitions, but in the case of large-frame ARs and duty/defense rifles, domestic-manufactured ammo is strongly recommended to ensure 100% ignition reliability.
They have 4 spring Kits that I can see.
1 JP Reduced Power Spring Kit (domestic primers only)
2 JP Reliability Enhanced Spring Kit (nato primers ok)
3 JP Tactical Spring Kit (mil spec)
4 JP CMP Service Rifle Spring Kit (mil spec)

I have used the Reliability Enhanced kit in 3 rifles. I have fired 5.56 nato ammo, my own reloads with CCI #450 small magnum rifle primers, and my reloads with CCI #41 Nato Primers all with 100% reliability.

Enhanced reliability kit
https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5T

JP spring kit over view
https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.3_spring.php

Last edited by Shadow9mm; May 9, 2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old May 9, 2021, 07:56 PM   #33
Hawg

Ok I misread it. It says "designed specifically for JP trigger parts, however - is still compatible with other brands". I missed the compatibility to other brands part.
Old May 9, 2021, 09:03 PM   #34
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Ok I misread it. It says "designed specifically for JP trigger parts, however - is still compatible with other brands". I missed the compatibility to other brands part.
I have installed the JP reliability enhanced on 3 different mil spec trigger group without issue. colt, PSA, and S&W. Gave me a nice predictable 2lb reduction from wherever it started at.

If you really worried about reliability get the tactical spring kit. Based on my understanding it will probably give you a 1.5lb reduction in pull weight. It appears to use the light weight trigger return spring with a mil spec hammer spring.

Or you could get the reliability enhanced kit, and if you have problems drop your mil-spec hammer spring back in. with the JP trigger return and disconnect spring and it would probably be similar to the tactical spring kit.
Old May 9, 2021, 09:20 PM   #35
berettaprofessor

Why would I possibly choose only 1 AR? I chose one 14 years ago. Now there are more.
Old May 10, 2021, 06:41 AM   #36
mehavey

Rabbits...
Old May 10, 2021, 07:27 AM   #37
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
So, saw a vid from Colion Noir titled "The Best Bang For Your Buck Do Everything Rifle?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AXW9NA0fps

At about the 45 sec mark the criteria is stated as (pharaphrased)
1, In the market, just 1 AR, to do it all
2, a relatively decent amount of money, but not an amount that will break the bank.

He proceeds to recommend a DDM4-V7 pro 18" which is a $2000 rifle, with a $2000 optic and a $400 micro red dot.

This seems way out for me both on the use and price side. For me These are my thoughts
Price
rifle, max 1200
optic, max 400
size
I feel a 16" mid length gas is a better choice. 18" has the benefit of a rifle length gas system, however if you add a muzzle device I personally feel it is getting too long for indoor defensive use.

If you could have only 1, what do you choose?
Rifle price?
Optic price?
barrel lengh?
Other criteria I may have missed
If I could only have one, I'd go with the 20" barrel. If you know how to defend yourself in tight areas, four more inches will not be a factor.

Buy a standard rifle made by a reputable company to start with; you don't need all the expensive after-market add ons.

For an optic, I'd invest in something at least $300 on up.
Old May 13, 2021, 09:00 AM   #38
Houndog

To me a single "do it all" AR is by definition a jack of all trades, master of none. And while I own a couple of Daniel Defense uppers and really like them, I think there are more budget friendly alternatives.

I think for less than half the cost of what this guy is recommending I can (and have) put together a very nice AR.

Start with LaRue UU. Guns are reliable, well made and generally offer very good accuracy. I'd go with either a 16" barrel or a pinned and welded 14.5" barrel. The LaRue kit comes with everything you need except the receiver. It includes an MBT trigger (and to me a good trigger is a prerequisite to having an AR that's enjoyable to shoot). Buy an Aeroprecision/Spikes/PSA stripped lower. If you can find a blemished one, buy it and save an additional $30-50.

Add a SWFA 1-4 or 1-6 LPVO. Or buy a Primary Arms/Sig Romeo/Holosun red dot with a 3x or 4x magnifier.

Done. Use extra cash to buy 30 round mags and XM193 ammo.
Old May 13, 2021, 09:30 AM   #39
SR420

Quote:
Only 1 AR, how do you choose?
You look inside your safe and decide what is the best tool for the current situation.

It's just that easy.
Old May 15, 2021, 03:50 PM   #40
armoredman

I love listening to Mr Noir, but it's the same as the last magazine article I read that had a "working mans" AR-15 build advertised that was well north of $2000. If you make less than $70K a year you are looking at an entire paycheck for this device. Right before the panic started I bought a PSA AR for my son, an MOE+ lower for about $140, and a Freedom mid-length upper that I think set me back $220. The MBUS rear sight was $30, IIRC, and the SIG Romeo5 ran about $120. So, all told, $510 plus shipping and a flat $10 receive fee. It has been flawless, dead nuts accurate and reliable. Even now the prices are coming back down slowly. For a working man's rifle, that's more likely, especially if you aren't someone who has to constantly tinker with the thing.
Old May 15, 2021, 04:56 PM   #41
MarkCO

Influencers have to have clicks and views to get paid. The more controversial, the more clicks. He was successful in getting most of you to click and view. He is doing his job.

One rifle to do all...it would not be a .223, so the basic premise is flawed, but it is maybe fun to sit around and discuss with your friends, as long as it gets one thinking and not mad at each other.

I've considered what I would do if I lost all my firearms in a fire, theft, boating accident. I could make do with a lot less than I have, but the leftists would still call me a whacko with an arsenal. I'd probably have at least 4 ARs in that new arsenal. One in .223, one in 6mm, one in 10mm. and a blowback in 9mm.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:50 PM   #42
HWS

"Do it all" should be translated as "maximum flexibility". An AR is a flexible weapon if you set it up that way. Or it can be a spoiled, unreliable, undependable, little bitch. The choice is yours.
Old May 16, 2021, 02:10 AM   #43
raimius

So, any "do it all" rifle really can't do everything well. The key is to do the likely and/or important things well, and do the less important/less likely things OK.

As that compromise rifle, I would argue that .223 or .300blk are decent starting points, if you don't expect much beyond several hundred yards (value close/medium range more than long range). If you value longer range, .308 or 6.5 (Grendel or Creedmoor) is probably a better starting point. All of those can be had in an AR-15 or AR-10 platform.

Useable rate of fire is also a consideration. Personally, any rifle with potential for self-defense uses should be capable of semi-auto fire. Bolt/lever/pump action is just a little too much compromise there, in my opinion. Jeff Cooper may have disagreed--he really liked the Scout Rifle concept.

Optics are another issue. I like the low-power variable optic idea. A 1-x optic is pretty versatile. Some decent 1-4x are pretty cheap now. 1-6, 1-8, and 1-10 all have some advantages though. Again, which areas do you prioritize? If you plan on mostly shooting 100m and in, a 1-4 or even a red-dot may work. Red dot with magnifier is also a decent compromise that favors close range, but still gives limited medium range capability. (I wouldn't recommend it for long range, as they usually don't have any way to dial or hold for windage and elevation.) There are a few decent 1-4x and 1-6x under $400. That is really favoring low price over capability though. A lot more good options open up in the $500-1000 range.

I really enjoy suppressed SBRs, but with .223 and a 11-12in barrel, practical effectiveness beyond 300m is a bit questionable. With the right ammo selection and appropriate optic, you could push it a bit farther, but that starts to get even more expensive! I would argue that with .223, a 16in barrel is a good compromise. With .300blk 8-16in barrels are all viable. I probably wouldn't go shorter than 16-18in with .308 or 6.5creedmoor.

Any rifle meant to be carried should have a sling. Any rifle you might fight with should have a light. Make sure you don't forget those, if those are potential use cases (which they probably should be for a "general purpose" rifle).

So, personally, if you are looking for a cheap-but-decent rifle for use between 0-500m, I would say a .223 AR-15 from any of the reputable manufacturers, a 1-4x or 1-6x optic (probably Vortex Strike Eagle, for your $400 budget), a sling, and decent white light (I like Streamlight and Inforce for low/med price point). I also like the Viking Tactics and Vickers slings.
Old May 16, 2021, 04:17 AM   #44
stagpanther

I still have an old plain Jane Core 15 (sorry, got it mixed with another rifle) 16" barreled AR that is next to the bedstand along with a 45 acp, it's my "one that does it all". It is an old rifle I bought maybe 15 years ago and was prided on being made by vets to "real world" mil specs featuring a chrome-lined 1:7 twist barrel--otherwise thoroughly "unimaginative" by today's standards. Originally had an eotech on it which I thought was garbage and got rid of, now it sports an RT3 which comes closest to a "do it all" optic that I've ever used on an AR. The rifle is ugly and beat up as sin, but I know it's going to run no matter what I use and will get it done whether creeping between rooms or picking off a zombie at 300 yds.

My early warning detection/deterrent system is a Belgian Malinois.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4873.jpg (193.7 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; May 17, 2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old May 16, 2021, 12:38 PM   #45
pete2

Decide whether you want a rifle or carbine. I bought a 20" first, too heavy, then bought the carbine. I bought a RRA 20" rifle. Then a RRS 16" upper and a Ruger lower. The Ruger lower has a 2 stage trigger, about like the RRA. I do like the carbine best. What ever sight suits you, I put a scope on the 20" and a Vortex prism on the short gun. Both guns are accurate. I'm not real fond of the AR rifle but we need to have them on hand just in case.
Old May 17, 2021, 09:10 PM   #46
DATL

I would probably go with a 16" Saint or Tread. If price allowed I would throw a Radian Charging Handle and a nice trigger. Those two things make all the difference. BUT does that get you to DD territory? Optic- I'm easy, just toss a Romeo on there... 5 or 4T, OR a Primary Arms 1x4 or 1x6.
Old May 19, 2021, 09:04 PM   #47
HWS

An AR is a weapon, Raimius. It has to be able to do multiple things to a satisfactory level. It is not the most accurate or the most rapid firing, or the largest caliber. But it is accurate enough for battle, fires rapidly enough both in semi and auto for military uses. It's round flies straight and flat and its impact is destructive enough for battle. It is a machine and a machine is always a trade-off.

But you can specialize. This is easier if you have specialty ARs and can shoot two or more at the same time.
Old May 20, 2021, 08:01 AM   #48
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
One rifle to do all...it would not be a .223, so the basic premise is flawed, but it is maybe fun to sit around and discuss with your friends, as long as it gets one thinking and not mad at each other.

[..] the leftists would still call me a whacko with an arsenal. I'd probably have at least 4 ARs in that new arsenal. One in .223, one in 6mm, one in 10mm. and a blowback in 9mm.
Hey Mark you cheated, you kept 4 and we are only allowed one in this thread, you arsenal owning whacko.

Would you choose the 6mm if you had to marry just once?

I like cheap and my forever one would be in 7.62x39.
Old May 20, 2021, 09:30 AM   #49
MarkCO

Quote:
Would you choose the 6mm if you had to marry just once?
Yes! The 6x45 uses all .223 parts with just a barrel change, so economical. Also legal (not best by any stretch) for big game and works well for varmints at the same time with lighter bullets. I also compete, and it would work in both 3Gun, and DMR style matches. I just think, in the AR15 pattern, it is the most versatile caliber available today. And no, I don't have one. I do have a 6.5 PCC, which is close, but carries a heavier bullet and, in the lighter bullets, does not have the BC the 6mm offers.
Old May 20, 2021, 10:17 AM   #50
stagpanther

Despite all the derivations of the AR 15; including the latest "mochacito latte with sprinkles" cartridges--the 5.56/223 remains a viable and very accurate all-around cartridge of choice for the AR 15--and is what I choose for my "do it all" even though I have many of the other designer flavor de jours in my inventory.