The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1
gibble

nickel plated brass problems

i have had alot of trouble with the copper on the bullet peeling when seating the bullet in nickel plated brass, don't know why, have tried lubing bullet, extra chamferring of the case etc with no success. ready to toss the nickel in the trash. please help
Old January 2, 2009, 10:40 PM   #2
rn22723

handgun or rifle?

if handgun they you need to flare the case mouth more!
Old January 2, 2009, 10:47 PM   #3
gibble

rifle
Old January 3, 2009, 01:05 AM   #4
10 Spot Terminator

Any chance this is with The Barnes bullets ??? If so I too have got this to occur with both nickle and brass cases on 2rifle calibres I load for . Even by chamfering the inside of the case necks which reduced this greatly here is what I ended up doing and worked for these as well as for seating .311 diameter bullets in my 7.62x54R cases. I went to the local hardware store and bought me a nice new center punch with a fast taper tip. I will take the punch and by hand insert it into the case neck and give it a couple of turns while applying moderate pressure which tends to put an ever so slight belling in the mouth of the neck that is hard to even measure with a mic. This took care of the copper stripping from the sharp edges of the brass. I also use this to take the dings out of the necks of brass fired through auto loaders before I resize them. It works great and I have done this to hundreds of cases. Unlike trying to do something like this on a press where there is the tendancy for the brass case length to vary slightly and the amount of case neck flare to vary as a result I find this to be the better way.
Old January 3, 2009, 01:22 AM   #5
Shoney

Measure the expander ball in your sizing die. They sometimes put undersize expanders in.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111