The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2009, 06:26 PM   #1
savage_03

.308 military brass

I just started reloading about a year ago and have been making loads using Remington brass. I was just given some old Canadian military brass, don't have a clue where my dad got it. Luckily it was boxer primed.

My question is if it is ok to use the loading data I use for my usual load. I have read that it can be dangerous to use a compressed load in military brass but i don't use a compressed load.

If not what is the proper way to load military brass?
Old January 1, 2009, 06:33 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

my understanding from most reloading data i have seen is that you can load them ok just like commercial brass... just that the charge needs to be one grain less for military brass than for commercial
Old January 1, 2009, 06:44 PM   #3
noyes

some links

.308 Winchester Cartridge Guide

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

7.62x51mm NATO or 308 Winchester? What's the Difference?

http://www.303british.com/id36.html
Old January 1, 2009, 11:40 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

brass is probably a little thicker, thus higher pressure. therefore 1 or 2 grains less should put you in the ballpark.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 2, 2009, 07:15 AM   #5
the_right_reverend

Canadian brass........ this is safe to reload.... just reduce your starting load by 1 or 2 grain......

I have cans full of IVI headstamps and the only problem with it is the extreme spread on the case weight as much as 20 grains so don't expect to achieve match accuracy (I average 4 inch groups with IVI) except if you weight every case, and sort out to within a grain or 2..... thank god for digital scales

load it up and shoot it remember to remove the primer crimp if it is the first time reloading