The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2007, 09:59 PM   #1
RedneckFur

Knives. What do you carry?

I'm sure most of you here CC a handgun of some sort or another.

I'm willing to bet its safe to say that most of you cary a knife too. Not so much for self defence, but for general, day-to-day utility use. If so, what brands/styles do you like?

I uasually cary either an assisted opening buck with a spearpoint blade. It sharpens easily and it comes in handy all the time. I also have a number of Kershaw Vapor's that i cary at times. I consider these my 'work knives' because although quality knives, they arent too expensive to replace, so i dont mind abusing them a bit.

Ive got a number of large hunters and 'tactical' knives, but those are more for show than use, as a big blade just doesnt seem very pratical to me.
Old January 26, 2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I carry a CUDA Maxx 5.5 'cuz a 7" blade on a folder is just a little big. . . . and we wouldn't want to overdo it.
Old January 26, 2007, 10:48 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I keep things simple. I've carried my "old reliable", a Buck 110 Folding Hunter for decades. It does everything I need.

On duty though, my knife has to be a little more defense oriented, so I've opted for a Cold Steel Ti Lite. A bit pricey, but it's incredibly tough, and incredibly sharp.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 26, 2007, 10:57 PM   #4
rantingredneck

I've got a Buck Odyssey that goes with me quite a bit. Also have a CRKT folder that I like. I work in a semi industrial setting and carry one of those little folding box openers. Even though I'm the administrator I sometimes have to get more hands on and hate looking for a box cutter or using my carry knife for it.

I've actually started hand forging some blades of my own here lately. Nothing real fancy yet but so far I've made a skinner out of a circular saw blade, hammer-forged a skinning cleaver out of a lawnmower blade, and hammer-forged a kitchen cleaver for a friend. Gonna make myself a general purpose fixed blade hunter before next years deer season.
Old January 26, 2007, 11:05 PM   #5
FS2K

Benchmades are my favorites.

"Old Faithful" is my Mel Pardue Auto but I have since swapped it out for Blackwood 610 Rukus. (Plain blade of course).
Old January 27, 2007, 12:11 AM   #6
skeeter1

The law in Ohio is rather vague, regarding carrying a knife. According to an attorney friend, I'm fine carrying a 2" blade, but sometimes I like to drop an Italian 4" switchblade Stilleto into my pocket. From what I've been able to make out of the law (THR has a good thread on this), it's OK for me to own it, and probably carry it, but not sell it. That part is OK with me. If I need to dispose of it, I'm guessing one pop with the 16lb sledge hammer and that should be the end of it. It's just so nice for cutting the end off of a nice cigar.
Old January 27, 2007, 12:30 AM   #7
TexiCali Slim

I use a Smith and Wesson Homeland Security

I got it at a swap meet, it was pretty cheap and has a sturdy long blade and all in all has a good feel to it. It is pretty heavy for a knive too wich actually is a good thing surprisingly, and it looks cool too.
Old January 27, 2007, 12:32 AM   #8
rantingredneck

I've got a Smith and Wesson SWAT that's a good blade. A bit heavy for everyday carry for me, but it holds an edge real well and would do well in edged combat.
Old January 27, 2007, 12:39 AM   #9
tomh1426

I mostly carry a Kershaw whirlwind
Old January 27, 2007, 12:53 AM   #10
robc

Daily use - Gerber multi-tool. It has a surprisingly sturdy and sharp blade.
Hunting - Gerber fixed drop point. About 5.5 in. Again, surprisingly sturdy and sharp. Awsome feel on the handle. Whatever it's made of, I like it.
Old January 27, 2007, 12:56 AM   #11
oldbillthundercheif

Old January 27, 2007, 01:08 AM   #12
raggededge

I have a ton of cheaper knives that I've accumulated over the years. I don't believe in carrying the real pricey ones for fear of damaging and/or losing them. I like my Gerber Paraframes, a "Winchester" folder that I'm told was made by Gerber that I got for $8 at Walmart (very surprisingly nice for the money), and my Camillus Lev-r-Lok. Came very sharp, holds a nice edge for what it is, and I love it's opening mechanism. I just wish it had a clip. Lately, though, I've forgone all of the above and have been carrying one of those lockback folder/utility knife hybrid looking things. I like being able to just toss the blade when it dulls, and you can't argue with a razor blade being sharp. I didn't like it at first (it's a Craftsman one) because it was very difficult to open with one hand, but I took it apart and ground down a ridge on the opening ramp and now it opens as smoothly as one could hope.
Old January 27, 2007, 01:36 AM   #13
skeeter1

Come to think of it, I carried a Leatherman tool for years to work, and no one thought a thing of it, except when I had to help them out. They thought it was nifty that I had pliers, screwdrivers, etc. in one little kit. I never pointed out to anyone that it also had a 3" knife blade in it.

Sometimes, some places, it's better to keep quiet about what you have.
Old January 27, 2007, 01:39 AM   #14
Stiofan

I carry the knife below, a J.A. Henckel stockman 4 blade, except mine has natural buffalo horn handles instead of the stag shown.

Old January 27, 2007, 01:45 AM   #15
RedneckFur

Ive never been a big fan of Gerber's myself. They hold an edge well, but they're nearly impossible to sharpen for me. It gives me the impression that the blades are brittle.

As far as big folders go, the biggest i cary is a Buck Alpha. I love that knife.
Old January 27, 2007, 03:08 AM   #16
oldbillthundercheif

If mine was brittle it would have broken by now. It has seen hard use.

They are easy to sharpen if you have some refined tools for the task.
Old January 27, 2007, 03:12 AM   #17
dixierifleman

i carry these 3 on me and 3 in my truck. the fixed blade pictured has its sheath taped to my shifter in the truck. i also have a Beretta knife in my glove compartment, and a folder with an LED light in it in my toolbox.

Old January 27, 2007, 09:42 AM   #18
WESHOOT2

wear

I 'wear' a Leatherman Micro; it has a knife blade.

But I 'carry' a Glock field knive, a Cold Steel folder, and a no-name 420 stainless boot knife.
In my purse.
Along with another gun.
And my Scorpion.
Old January 27, 2007, 12:18 PM   #19
stephen426

I have owned quite a few knives and the one I am carrying has been the best one by far. I will take a picture of all the other knives and post them when I get a chance. The knife I am currently carrying is the Benchmade 710 by McHenry and William.

The blade can be had in several different steels (which are described on Benchmade's website www.benchmade.com. The quality and design of this knife is incredible and the opening is super smoothe. The Axis lock is excellent and it pemits easy opening and closing with one hand. This is especially handy if your other hand is occupied.

I really like how the 710 fits in my hand (This is the full size by the way. The smaller knife is the 705.). The knife has a nice heft to it without being too heavy. When closed, it can served as a striking weapon (kubaton). The G-10 laminate scales are slip resistant without being abrasive. The knives come very sharp and resharpen easily. You can always send the knife back to Benchmade to resharpen for only $5 shipping and handling. The knife can be found on Ebay for about $110 or my favorite knife site... www.knifeworks.com

I do not work for Benchmade nor do I have any ownership in their company. I just wanted to share one of the best knives (hands down) after going through over a dozen knives. Those include 6 other Benchmades, 3 Cold Steels, 2 Gerbers, and a few others.
Old January 27, 2007, 12:22 PM   #20
rangermonroe

Benchmade "Infidel"
Old January 27, 2007, 01:35 PM   #21
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Benchmade makes neat stuff and they also sponsor Team Quest and Randy Couture. So if you've ever enjoyed watching Randy Couture, Matt Lindland, Chael Sonnen, Nate Quarry, Chris Leben . . . those beatings were brought to you in part by Benchmade.
Old January 27, 2007, 01:46 PM   #22
gfen

Lotsa fancy knives here, but I carry a 10 year old Victorinox brand Swiss Army "Engineer" knife everywhere I go.

Wow, it would appear they no longer make this model, either. Which is sad, becuase it has the phillips head screw driver in it. Wow, NONE of them have a phillips in them, anymore. Lame. Really now, who needs a cork screw when we have fortifed wine with screw-off caps?!

Anyways, there you go. It cuts. It unscrews. It rescrews. It punches leather. It picks teeth. Its the Swiss Army Knife.
Old January 27, 2007, 01:53 PM   #23
Charles S

Mostly a Spderco Miliatary, but more recently I find myself carrying the Waved Delica by Spyderco.

I really like the Benchmade Presidio.

rangermonroe,

That is a neat knife. Not one I would use, but I really like it. I bet you hope you never have to use it!
Old January 27, 2007, 02:07 PM   #24
rangermonroe

Quote:
That is a neat knife. Not one I would use, but I really like it.
Realistically, it is a fighting knife, not a work knife. For daily pocket carry I have a Benchmade folder. It is a working knife.

The Infidel is for dressed up, special occasions. Like weddings, family reunions and such. And church.

Don't use it for a toothpick.

As far a recommending, probably not. I have several handguns that cost less and are far more useful. But, damn this thing is sexy. And it pisses off CAIR.
Old January 27, 2007, 03:29 PM   #25
IZHUMINTER

I've carried a Benchmade 942 (Warren Osborne Axis lock) every day since my birthday in 2001. I had commissioned a custom knife from Mr. Osborne but had to cancel the order when I moved; I thought the production knife would make an acceptable substitute and I was right. It's been to Korea, Iraq and many field exercises, and while the coating is pretty dinged up the knife is still going strong.

I also usually have a Victorinox Rambler in my pocket. It's much more capable of delicate work than the Benchmade.

Unless I'm in a suit I have a Victorinox SwissTool on my belt. I've purchased or been issued over a dozen Leatherman and Gerber Multi-Tools but all of them have broken. On a deployment to Kuwait back in 2000, every last multi-tool in the company broke except for my buddy's SwissTool: I bought one at the PX the first chance I got and it has never failed me. For what it's worth, it's the same multi-tool used by Les Stroud on the show Survivorman.

For times when I can't carry concealed (like, oh, pretty much all the time here in Maryland) I keep a HideAway knife on my belt. It's small and nondescript, wickedly sharp and amazingly handy.

In colder weather I usually have a knife in an outer pocket of my jacket or on a lanyard around my neck (either my old faithful Boy Scout model Victorinox Huntsman, a Spyderco Kiwi or a Cold Steel Spike), since they're much easier to get to than one under layers of clothing.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water: A Gulf Stream Letter

Last edited by IZHUMINTER; January 27, 2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added another knife I forgot about