The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2005, 07:59 PM   #1
.308win

Reloading for the .40S&W

I am planning on getting an XD40 Sub Compact and will be reloading for it. Does anyone have any experience reloading for this cartridge for this pistol? What bullet/powder/OAL combinations do I have to be cautious of? Any pet loads for CCW?

Thank you.
Old January 15, 2005, 09:50 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

safe and tested (over one hundred guns)

Sized case, CCI500, Rainier 180g TCJ-FP, 6.0g Alliant Power Pistol, OAL 1.130" +/-.005".
Av = 916fps

For "SD" stuff please e-mail direct........
Old January 15, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3
HSMITH

WESHOOT2 gives a great load. I run a lot of this same load with jacketed 180's and WW primers. I also run some quite a bit faster. As far as I am concerned Power Pistol is the best 40 powder on the market.

I use a lot of Universal Clays too. BE CAREFUL with it in the upper end of the loading data, it spikes pressures dramatically with small changes in OAL or charge weight. I had over 12 pounds of it when I started loading 40's, and am down to about 2 pounds now. I wouldn't specifically buy more for 40.

SR 4756 is another good choice for 40, as is Winchester Super Field and good old Unique.

I do not like the fast powders for 40, a little setback and blown cases are a reality. Tite-Group falls into this category IMO, it shoots well and is very economical but it is just a little too fast for me.

For CCW handloads I like the Nosler 135 with Longshot, but I am also playing with Gold Dots as I fear the Nosler will be pretty much blowing up when it hits. I think the Gold Dot is one of the best bullets on the market. For factory ammo the Ranger T and the Gold Dot factory loads are what I buy.
Old January 15, 2005, 11:00 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

all blowed up

The 135g Nosler is 'sufficient'.
Some prefer the medium-weight 155-165g range; can ditto Gold Dots.
Old January 15, 2005, 11:00 PM   #5
Nnobby45

I use commercial plated bullets by Western Nev. 155 and 180 semi-flat point. No guess work, just seat the bullets to the exact point where the bullet begins to taper. My favorite powder is Win Action Pistol (WAP), now discontinued. Someone said it is now manufactured under a different name and company. I also use W231 with good results. One thing to watch for in .40 cal. is to be sure your bullets are seated properly and SECURELY. This round is noted for being one of the worst for pressure rise when a bullet is seated too deeply, or the bullet is forced back into the case bouncing off the feed ramp. Taper crimp firmly, but don't get carried away. Too much crimp can actually loosen things up.
Old January 16, 2005, 10:56 PM   #6
drinks

.40S&W

As you are reloading for this cartridge, perhaps you can help me.
I bought some .40S&W cases for another project, looking at several of the once fired cases, I saw some were much more expanded just ahead of the base than some others, I put the mike on some and found from .002 expansion to .026 expansion, the .026 really looked bloated, I would hate to resize cases that had to be resized that much, would make me very nervous, expecting head seperations.
Is this a common problem with .40's or is it confined to one brand of gun?
Thanks, Don
Old January 17, 2005, 05:54 AM   #7
.308win

Some autos - glocks for example - do not support the case in the six oclock position and the case may bulge when fired. In extreme cases the case may rupture. These cases should not be reloaded because if the case were to feed with the weakened part in the insupported position again the chances of a kaboom are much greater.
Old January 17, 2005, 06:05 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

WAP = Ramshot Silhouette