The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 20, 2009, 03:43 PM   #26
kle

Hmm...a Master score is, what, 95%? So he'd need to pick up just 5 more points (855) to make the cut.

You can do it!

So anyways, OP--I'm certain that any hardware you choose with decent length (longer sighting radius == good) and with adjustable sights (not having to apply any Kentucky Windage == good) will be good enough to get started, and even get you to shooting Master scores. A semi-auto makes things easier (faster reloads, more time to aim between shots) and is inherently more accurate (no barrel/cylinder gap for the bullet to jump before it hits the rifling).

I prefer revolvers for their reliability and their balance/feel. If a round doesn't light I can hold the trigger down and cock the hammer for a second try or I can just move onto the next round and take an alibi. I usually get a couple dud rounds in each 550-round brick of Federal #750 wally-world bulk ammo I use in my 617-4. I haven't taken an alibi since I started shooting Bullseye last year. Plus, I need something to do (cocking the hammer) between shots on timed and rapid =)

I'll echo melchloboo's statement that if you're going to do Bullseye competitively, you're going to need a lot of trigger time (thousands of rounds of live-fire + thousands more dry-firing), whatever platform you choose.

Though now I kinda wanna get a 22A or a Neos or a Buckmark and see how good I can get with one; maybe next season, or maybe I can shoot my revolvers for record and shoot other stuff for practice at the weekly matches--my league allows shooters to do that, if there are open slots on following relays.

Last edited by kle; January 20, 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old January 20, 2009, 04:06 PM   #27
ZeSpectre

Thanks KLE,
I have started thinking I might actually be able to make a "go" of it if I try bullseye because I've recently managed a few targets very similar to this one (25 yards "bullseye style" with a CZ-75 in .40 S&W).

The target certainly isn't official but the dimensions are close enough to give a good approximation and I feel okay if I'm at the "78 of 100" point to start. I haven't tried anything at 50 yards yet though.

(We'll kindly skip what my targets looked like on the bad days )

Last edited by ZeSpectre; January 20, 2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old January 20, 2009, 04:23 PM   #28
kle

http://www.flat5.net/shooting.htm -- at the bottom of this page are the B6 (50 yard slowfire) and B8 (25 yard timed/rapid-fire) targets I use to practice/train on. I print out a bunch of these at work, and then take them to the range and put holes through them. Then I take them down, and tape four of them together to make a square, and use the (all white) back of that for the next range visit to simulate the size of a real B6/B8 target (so I can practice sight picture as well), repairing the center with a fresh print-out after every 20 shots.

In my house, I have a long-ish section (my living room -> dining room -> kitchen -> kitchen table area) that I use for dryfire practice; I cut black circles a little smaller than the B8 target to aim at (since it isn't quite 25 yards long, I have to compensate by making the circles smaller), making doubly sure the gun I'm practicing with isn't loaded with live ammo.

I use red-dots on my target guns, which help me see how the gun twitches as I squeeze the trigger, both at home and on the range--during matches, during the initial slowfire stage, my first few trigger pulls will be dryfires to help me settle down before doing it 'for real'.

I hope this helps you get started!
Old January 20, 2009, 05:53 PM   #29
kle

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=331167 -- actually, this thread has a ton of good info, too. I particularly liked what melchloboo said:

Quote:
5. Right gun. You're not getting married to it. If you want to get serious in Bullseye then get used to the idea of trying a gun out for a while and selling it or shelving it if it doesn't work out. Rugers hold their value well, and most shooters keep their old ruger around no matter what, even after they move on to other target pistols. Maybe if you take up the .45 (required for NRA CP) then you'll want to go with a marvel conversion kit... Lots of maybes down the road. Again, you're not marrying the gun. Its like a golf club or tennis racket as far as you're concerned.
(emphasis mine).

The key is to get started, and then figure out what works for you.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:02 PM   #30
darkgael

good

ZeSpec:
Quote:
25 yards "bullseye style" with a CZ-75 in .40 S&W).
You are shooting that with iron sights, one-hand unsupported with a CZ 40.....good for you. You'll be fine. Now get a target pistol and practice. Go to some Bullseye matches and see what guns are on the line. Watch how it works.
All of you guys.....think Camp Perry next summer.
Pete
Old January 20, 2009, 07:07 PM   #31
kle

Can I do .22s only or will I need to get something in .45? (and can I use .45 Colt, if I go that route?)
Old January 20, 2009, 07:35 PM   #32
darkgael

.22 only

I believe that you can shoot the .22 stage by itself. There is a separate .22 championship award.
You may shoot a 45 Colt revolver if you choose.
See http://www.bullseyepistol.com/rulebook3.htm
Look at sections 3.2 and 3.3.
The 2008 .22 championship was won by Brian Zins with an 891/900 - 52x. Third place was 889.
For full results see http://www.nrahq.org/compete/champ3.asp#1
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; January 20, 2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:37 PM   #33
kle

Excellent! I'd like to shoot a real 2700 match someday; just gotta get the hardware now...
Old January 20, 2009, 08:57 PM   #34
ZeSpectre

kle,
maybe we should "buddy up" and go find some matches
Old January 21, 2009, 04:51 AM   #35
darkgael

perry

I knew an old lady - older than me at the time - who used to shoot Bullseye with two guns, a .22 and a .38. She didn't own a .45. When she went to a 2700 match, she'd leave after the CF stages.
Every summer, until she couldn't drive too well, she'd get in her car and drive from NYC to Camp Perry, Ohio (at 45 mph), shoot the .22 and CF matches and then drive home.
Pete
Old January 21, 2009, 10:28 AM   #36
kle

Sure, and maybe we can get TinyGnat in on this, too...if he'd just come back; I haven't seen him at the MPL in ages...
Old February 10, 2009, 01:32 AM   #37
Big-O-2

S&W 22a is a great gun for shooting and learning to shoot it also has the full rail for mounting a scope. The one I bought from Academy shoots a little over 1" groups at 15 yrds. I can not shoot that good, but I think 1" at 15yrds is ok for open sites. I paid $220 for the pistol and I know the club I am a member of always look for people wanting to shoot Bulls Eye. If you do not have the money right now get the S&W 22a and dont look back you can shoot all day long for $14.00 and learn to shoot good doing so.

David