The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 19, 2009, 11:34 AM   #1
hoser

"Carry in the woods" holster?

Is a shoulder holster or a standard pancake holster the easiest to carry a large frame revolver (629 snubbie) around the woods? Any first hand experience and input?
Old December 19, 2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Hog Hunter

its really how you feal comfortable carrying. i prefer to carry a large frame revolver with a shoulder holster, but most of the time i carry an auto on my side for back up on them hogs, they get mean when their wounded.
Old December 19, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
kinoons

Not a lot of first hand experience yet, as I just purchased one, but my first impression of the wilderness safepacker has been very good and it was designed with just such use in mind.
Old December 19, 2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Glenn Dee

I like a shoulder holster. El-Paso sddelry makes a nice military style shoulder holster for any frame. I wear one under my top garment.
Old December 19, 2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I prefer a bandoleer instead of the shoulder holster, its more comfortable than the shoulder holster, more accommodating to thick winter clothing and easier to shift out of the way than a belt holster. I had to make my own because I couldn't find a store model to fit my gorilla torso. Had a bad experience with my 41 mag falling out of a shoulder holster and getting its first scratch, now it is strictly belt holster for that gun but its only a 4" barrel. Since your gun is a snubbie I think I would just go with a belt holster but that's just me.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 19, 2009, 09:02 PM   #6
jal5

I bought a pancake style holster with harness from simplyrugged.com this year for my S&W M66, 6in. barrel and was very impressed. I could wear it comfortably all day and it was a very secure fit in cross chest carry. It fits fine over heavy hunting clothing and the harness has a lot of adjustment to it.
Old December 19, 2009, 09:28 PM   #7
bamaranger

My woods pistols all ride in some type of flap holster, either a GI leather (vintage), a new bianchi nylon, or a triple k leather for single actions.

My bearcat rides in my pocket.

I do have a GI shoulder holster for a b-hawk.
Old December 20, 2009, 05:23 AM   #8
moose fat

You will have to define easiest.

I carried my .44 MG for several years in a leather belt holster, strong side, while deer hunting and hiking. The gun and holster would bump and catch things. I still wear it in my boat.

Then I got an Uncle Mikes Shoulder Holster and wore it for many years, but the narrow straps would cut into my shoulders after wearing all day. Great for wearing under a coat, quiet, no bumping rifle stocks or catching on brush and back packs.

I've since got a chest style and wear it most, over my float coat and winter parka:

It is a D. Johnston Holster from Wild West Guns in Anchorage, AK. Wildalaska gave me a good deal on it too.

I also have a Mod 1941(?), WW II era flight, bandoleer type holster that distributes the weight very well. Except it is for my Taurus M96 .22 revolver. The holster is from El Passo Saddlery. They make very good leather holsters also.

Search is your friend. There are many holster makers out there. Pick one way of carry and try it for a while. Its an evolutionary thing.

I have an El Passo Saddlery pancake holster with floral carving that I really like.

Good luck!

Last edited by moose fat; December 20, 2009 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old December 20, 2009, 05:58 AM   #9
riggins_83

I've been using a Galco D.A.O holster crossdraw position. Great holster and a lot easier IMO than strongside with a long barrel.
Old December 20, 2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Doyle

When I am also carrying a long-gun, I really prefer either a shoulder holster or a crossdraw. The reason is that I found that if I carry on my right hip, the buttstock of my long-gun is constantly bumping against the hammer spur of the pistol. I put a nasty scratch in the stock of a very expensive Beretta over/under that way.
Old December 20, 2009, 12:30 PM   #11
hoser

Simply Rugged?

Anyone try the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake with the Chesty Puller system? Looks somewhat complicated, but versatile!

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/chesty_puller.html
Old December 31, 2009, 04:32 PM   #12
swcr

It depends on what I'm doing. When I'm working on my friends cattle ranch I prefer to carry my Blackhawk in a double loop holster on a cartridge belt.

While hunting I carry a Single Six for shooting grouse and like to carry it in a cross draw holster so that my rifle butt does not hit it when slung.

Many people like the chest style holster if they are going to be wearing a backpack. I still prefer a cross draw in this case but like one with a detachable belt loop that allows a wide belt loop to be used to fit the waist strap of the pack and then a narrow belt loop for when the pack is not worn.

Eugene
Old December 31, 2009, 09:16 PM   #13
langenc

Lots of possibilities. Check ebay. They have hundreds of holsters.
Old December 31, 2009, 09:19 PM   #14
rdmallory

S&W Model 66 4"

3 .357 rounds and 3 38 special

Been know to kill a squirrel or two during season with it.

Doug
Old January 2, 2010, 12:27 AM   #15
dmazur

El Paso Saddlery "Tanker" style shoulder holsters. These are surprisingly comfortable, even when worn with a pack.

The pack straps go under your armpits, of course, but the holster kind of rides on your lower chest, by your ribcage. Pack strap doesn't hit it.

I have used these (in different models, of course) for a Commander length 1911 and a 4-5/8" Ruger SBH. I don't know how they would work for a long-barrel revolver, but they work fine for me for mid-length.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:49 PM   #16
turbotype87

Icarry a shoulder holster for my 2 1/2'' ruger .454 casull.
Old January 4, 2010, 07:52 PM   #17
Survivor

Simply Rugged +1

Hoser,

I carry a 629 6" in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake either strongside on the hip or with the Chesty Puller system. Both are comfortable, easily accessable and made tough as the name implies. IMO it's the best. And Rob and Jan are great folks to work with!

Regards,
Lou
Old January 4, 2010, 08:04 PM   #18
hoser

Simply Rugged

Yeah, I heard about this chesty pully thing. I may look into this.

How does the pancake conceal an N-frame on the hip? Comfortable or does it dig into the bone a bit?
Old January 5, 2010, 03:14 PM   #19
Survivor

Simply Rugged

Hoser,

The Sourdough Pancake conceals very well considering what you're carrying - an N frame. There's a plus in that it has three slots so you can wear it strongside or cross draw. Mine does not dig into my hip and it is comfortable, weight is distributed evenly across the fairly wide spaced belt slots. You can get the inside out straps added and wear it IWB too. All in all, a great holster for a big gun.

Regards,
Lou
Old January 5, 2010, 03:40 PM   #20
azredhawk44

I have two woods carry rigs:

#1 - a Hunter brand leather cartridge belt and holster for my 5.5" Redhawk. Holds 25 spare .44 or .45 cartridges.

#2 - a Wilderness Tactical Products "Instructor" belt and Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster. I also have an Uncle Mike's dual speedloader carrier that rides on this for 12 extra rounds aside from the 6 in the gun. The Sidekick holster fits either my 4" Redhawk or my 4" Smith model 65 K-frame.

The Hunter rig has about 200 miles of back country hiking on it, and the second rig only has about 75 or 100 miles on it. But, I'm liking it better than the leather rig. It's a little lighter, and the cartridge loops on the leather one can sometimes create an irritating "shelf" that the backpack pushes down on.

I've got a Simply Rugged pancake for my 4" Redhawk and many other holsters for other guns... but out of everything I've tried so far, I like the above two solutions the best.
Old January 5, 2010, 03:44 PM   #21
azredhawk44

Quote:
Yeah, I heard about this chesty pully thing. I may look into this.
I wouldn't suggest it if you're anywhere warm. Your profile says "CA". Is that California, or Canada?

There's no way I'd use something like that in AZ, at least. It's a good idea for cooler climates, though. It stops the shirt from breathing and you're soon sweating and irritated where the leather straps pull tight.
Old January 5, 2010, 04:01 PM   #22
hoser

California.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:27 PM   #23
Rystan

I don't have a big frame but I just bought a simply rugged silver dollar pancake for my 3" model 60, i haven't used it yet but it's seems pretty well put together. Im also thinking about getting that chest conversion to use while backpacking...

Last edited by Rystan; January 5, 2010 at 07:38 PM.