The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2020, 09:54 PM   #1
45flaco

Swaging 223 brass to 375 bullets, equipment needed?

Looking at making bullets for my 375 H&H out of 223 brass with a 30 cal lead bullet stuffed in it. Hoping for about 325 to 350 grains final weight.
From what I've seen, it looks like I'd need to:
Cut
Anneal
Press in core
Size to 0.376"
Form nose

Simplest way to do this?
I have machine shop access, and can make pretty much any dies necessary, as long as I generally know what they look like inside.
Any advice? Drawings? Ideas?
Old August 13, 2020, 10:47 PM   #2
big al hunter

I will start by saying that I have not swaged any brass into bullets, so take this with a grain of salt.

But I have studied the idea and will be producing some eventually. From my studies i would say you need a very hot oven so you can anneal in bulk.

I would then run a mandrel into the case to expand the sides out a smidge, as it tapers from .376 at the base. Then I would swab the inside of the case with plumbers flux paste, add the lead core and heat with a torch until the lead core melts. You would then have a bonded core bullet.

Then swage the whole bullet to .376. Then slowly form the tip, maybe 3 or 4 different dies. The shape is up for debate, but it is mostly what you like. I would try for a flat front with some exposed lead and a nice gentle ogive.

If you cut the rim off it may save you some effort in swaging, but it may be time consuming to make an accurate bullet. And it would lend itself to creating a boat tail.

And you may need to purchase or build a press that is up to the task. Your talking about a lot of force to swage the point in. Each swaging die will need a press attachment to push it back out of the die.

There are a few here that have made there own bullets. I am sure some will chime in. You can buy the press somewhere, but I can't recall where right now. There are a few die makers that will produce custom dies as well, but it sounds like you have that covered.
Old August 14, 2020, 02:08 AM   #3
ms6852

I was talking to a friend who has been thinking of swaging bullets as well, he stated that the equipment required was very expensive. Here is a link that could help out with some of your questions.
http://www.bulletswage.com
Old August 14, 2020, 03:05 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The force involved in swaging brass into jacketed bullets far exceeds what a regular reloading press can manage.

And, the larger the bullet, the more force is needed.

There used to be a company that made presses & dies for bullet swaging, I think the name was Corbin (Not Cor-bon the ammo company).

No idea if they're still in business, you might look and see...
Old August 14, 2020, 07:40 AM   #5
Old_School

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
The force involved in swaging brass into jacketed bullets far exceeds what a regular reloading press can manage.

And, the larger the bullet, the more force is needed.

There used to be a company that made presses & dies for bullet swaging, I think the name was Corbin (Not Cor-bon the ammo company).

No idea if they're still in business, you might look and see...
Corbin Mfg is still in business. http://www.corbins.com/

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Old August 14, 2020, 08:02 AM   #6
45flaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al hunter View Post
I will start by saying that I have not swaged any brass into bullets, so take this with a grain of salt.

But I have studied the idea and will be producing some eventually. From my studies i would say you need a very hot oven so you can anneal in bulk.

I would then run a mandrel into the case to expand the sides out a smidge, as it tapers from .376 at the base. Then I would swab the inside of the case with plumbers flux paste, add the lead core and heat with a torch until the lead core melts. You would then have a bonded core bullet.

Then swage the whole bullet to .376. Then slowly form the tip, maybe 3 or 4 different dies. The shape is up for debate, but it is mostly what you like. I would try for a flat front with some exposed lead and a nice gentle ogive.

If you cut the rim off it may save you some effort in swaging, but it may be time consuming to make an accurate bullet. And it would lend itself to creating a boat tail.

And you may need to purchase or build a press that is up to the task. Your talking about a lot of force to swage the point in. Each swaging die will need a press attachment to push it back out of the die.

There are a few here that have made there own bullets. I am sure some will chime in. You can buy the press somewhere, but I can't recall where right now. There are a few die makers that will produce custom dies as well, but it sounds like you have that covered.
That's an excellent point with the core bonding. I had assumed that the swaging process would bond the bullet to the case through pressure.
The oven isn't really an issue, we have a heat treat oven at work.
I hadn't counted on needing a different press, but I might try making a die set for the hydraulic press. I don't shoot more than 50 rounds a week from this rifle, so I won't really mind it being a slow process
I also hadn't thought of needing a part to press the bullet back out.
Thanks!
Old August 14, 2020, 08:04 AM   #7
45flaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
I was talking to a friend who has been thinking of swaging bullets as well, he stated that the equipment required was very expensive. Here is a link that could help out with some of your questions.
http://www.bulletswage.com
I haven't checked that company, but I will!
I did check Corbin though. They're still in business, but obnoxiously overpriced.
Since I have shop access, and my time is free, I figure I'd try to make the equipment. If it doesn't work, I'll just keep trying til it does
Old August 14, 2020, 08:58 AM   #8
Old_School

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45flaco View Post
I haven't checked that company, but I will!
I did check Corbin though. They're still in business, but obnoxiously overpriced.
Since I have shop access, and my time is free, I figure I'd try to make the equipment. If it doesn't work, I'll just keep trying til it does
Turns out both websites point back to Corbin. They are expensive, but they're known for their expertise.

There's a thread on Castboolits that discusses exactly what you want to do (223 to 375). Matter of fact, there are a number of threads on this subject, along with some very experienced machinists.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...from-223-cases

BT Sniper on CB has done a lot of work with the .375 H&H. You should contact him for specifics.

Old August 14, 2020, 10:11 PM   #9
45flaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
Turns out both websites point back to Corbin. They are expensive, but they're known for their expertise.

There's a thread on Castboolits that discusses exactly what you want to do (223 to 375). Matter of fact, there are a number of threads on this subject, along with some very experienced machinists.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...from-223-cases

BT Sniper on CB has done a lot of work with the .375 H&H. You should contact him for specifics.

I took a look at that thread, planning to create an account on that forum, seems pretty useful.
Also, I've tried a few very primitive versions of a jacketed bullet, by seating a 158 grain 0.358 lead bullet into a 380 ACP case. Not really swaging, but it stayed together at 3000 FPS, and was short enough to fit a mosin magazine.
Accuracy was alright. Main complaint is that it only weighed 210 grains, which is a little light for my taste.
I'll try getting in contact with BT Sniper

Tags
375 , die making , diy , swaging