The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 27, 2019, 10:24 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

CZ VZ 50

Been a long time since I made a purchase on my C&R and have sort of been looking into one of these. Im primarily considering Classic Arms, and have read that reviews have been mostly positive. Anybody purchased one and how did you find it?

As an afterthought....32 acp, yet another caliber to buy...ughhhhhh. But its historical and of the Cold War, so, permissible.
Old March 28, 2019, 03:41 AM   #2
armoredman

CZ50/70 is a really neat little pistol, had two of the 70s back in the day. Lots of features that don't normally come on cheaper guns. One word of caution - the two I had had LONG tough trigger pulls.
Old March 28, 2019, 05:32 AM   #3
ks_wayward_son

armoredman...was that long trigger pull in DA or was it also pretty bad in SA too?
Old March 28, 2019, 08:08 AM   #4
ligonierbill

I bought one years ago when I was browsing a gun shop. They had one pretty cheap, and I am a fan of 32 Auto. (Lots of classics in that caliber.) It's the eastern bloc knockoff of the Walther PP, a bit crude but sturdy and functional.

I am not particularly trigger sensitive, but as I recall the single action is fine. All of those early SA/DA have a long strong double action trigger. The Walther is more pleasant to shoot, but I enjoy the old CZ. When I was working up loads (yes, I load .32 Auto), I used the CZ. I'm not selling mine.
Old March 28, 2019, 09:02 AM   #5
loknload

I purchased both the CZ 50 and the 70. They are unique little guns and enjoyable to shoot. I still have them but haven’t had them to the range in a long time. Bought them more just as collectibles and I’m not a big fan of the .32.
I have an E. German Makarov that I enjoy more!
Old March 28, 2019, 04:19 PM   #6
mr bolo

I had a CZ50 / 70 , the .32 acp is not very enjoyable to shoot and the trigger pin use to work it's way out during firing

your better off with a MAKAROV, much more fun to shoot, more powerful

the .32 acp feels almost like your firing a pop gun , kinda like a .22 , gets boring fast
Old March 28, 2019, 06:14 PM   #7
ks_wayward_son

I might get one someday...I have a CZ 82 which as lots of people know is sort of the Czech version of the Makarov. 9x18 is an adequate round with a little oomph. Been out of that ammo for a long while. Better git me some of that too.
Old March 30, 2019, 04:59 AM   #8
armoredman

The long gritty was DA. I liked the little gun, had safety/decocker, loaded chamber indicator, spare mag fit into an old Leatherman leather belt holder. I used one as a BUG when I worked armored trucking.
Old March 30, 2019, 05:27 PM   #9
ks_wayward_son

Well I went ahead and ordered the little gun yesterday; didn't go for hand select so it will be interesting what I get. Primary focus is as a shooter, but if the finish is good, all the better. I don't know how far CF is into their batch. Hopefully it will be in one piece at least
Old April 3, 2019, 08:16 AM   #10
Ricklin

Like those CZ pistols

I bought 2 of the CZ 82's when they were cheap. I like them a lot. Best double action trigger of any milsurp pistol. 9X18 is very plentiful and there is at least one SD loading.
If you load the cases can be made by just trimming 1 MM off the 9mm Parabellum case. No need to tho, the ammo is plentiful.

I also have a CZ 52. They were lots of fun, esp. at dusk! The old 52 does not come out to play much, the ammo has gotten pricey since the bulk of the surplus stuff is gone.

Both are very solid handguns, the 52 is kinda fun with it's Buck ROgers look and it's velocity, the fireball is icing on the cake.
Old April 4, 2019, 01:29 AM   #11
ks_wayward_son

Ricklin, I have a Yugo M57 that fills my role as the Tokarev shooter. It seems like only yesterday I remember the SOG ads advertising around 400 rds of 7.62 x 25 for less than 100.00 or so (or was it 800 rds)...man what a golden age that certainly was...much like going through Shotgun News for milsurp deals. Still have a mostly unused tin of Tokarev ammo unfired. I wonder how much I could get for putting a hundred rounds or so up sale on GB....but the stuff is meant to be shot and I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna shoot it. Good times, good times. I still have gobs of old SN publications that I could look through and just reminisce...probably the same as a bunch of other crufflers do.

I kept thinking to myself, "Ehhhh, I'll get that one later on." I bet a bunch of other people kick themselves for that too.
Old April 4, 2019, 10:50 AM   #12
noelf2

I bought two CZ-50s at the Army rod and gun club in Augsburg Germany, when I was stationed there in the 80's (but I was Navy). Czech republic was dumping their old police pistols. Both were stolen from my household goods shipment back to the states. We had to declare them back then, and the box they were in had to be marked as containing firearms. That made it real easy for them to get stolen en-route... I planned to give one to my father. Having no import marks would have made them a little more valuable, perhaps. Oh well. I really don't have the desire for one now, but I enjoyed them when I had a chance to shoot them back then. They are little tack drivers. I was shooting at a German Luftwaffe qualification rage near Augsburg and the Germans saw my little old .32 and chuckled. I then proceeded to score better with it than they did with their 9mms. Fun times.