The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2016, 03:21 PM   #1
salvadore

Steel pins

So my latest method o f cleaning brass is a sonic cleaner with a Lyman product cleaner. My question can I use my old tumbler with steel pins and whatever the liquid medium is used? My last question is what is the drill, where do you get the steel pins, and what liquid is used? Thank you.
Old January 31, 2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I have no idea what kind of tumbler your old one is, so I can't answer that part of your question.

The pins can be had from several sources. 5 lbs, the amount used in a Thumbler B type rotary tumbler, are sold by many of the usual reloading supply retailers. Midway, Sinclair, etc, but they all seem to want nearly $10/lb. This place is a little less. They can also be bought from the manufacturer, but IIRC, you have to order 25 lbs or so from them. They got tired of packaging small orders for shooters, so you'd want to interest your friends in getting into the hobby for that, but it is cheaper per pound.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 31, 2016, 06:48 PM   #3
brasscollector

I use the stainless pins and the Thumbler model B. I got my pins from http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com, they were $40/5lbs and they sell 2lb "touch-up" refresher kits. Good little pins which do not rust but ARE magnetic which helps when you tip your tumbler barrel on the floor . I use cold water, dawn dishsoap and Glisten (similar to Lemi-shine).
Old February 1, 2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Kevin Rohrer

I just started using the same setup as Brasscollector. Lemishine is ridiclously expensive, considering it is nothing more than citric acid, which is dirt cheap at women's hobby stores. We bought a large tub of it for $10-15.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old February 1, 2016, 02:01 PM   #5
54 guns

If your “Old Tumbler” is the vibrating type then SS pins will NOT work. They are to heavy and barely even move in those tumblers.
Old February 2, 2016, 02:00 PM   #6
cw308

When cleaning brass with SS Pins, a wet tumbler has to be used. Check out Harbor Freight , the first unit I used was a H F. I use the HF for 50 308cases or less. Works very good, makes brass look like new inside & out.