The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 8, 2022, 09:45 AM   #1
SR420

Suppressor Metering

nfatalk . org put on a suppressor metering event an hour's drive north of me Saturday... it was 90 in the shade and I think the humidity was about 70% - miserable. My Smith Enterprise Wind Talker suppressor is an early Fisher can that was updated to WT specs some years ago, it has 4 baffles. We were not shooting for accuracy, they just wanted to record how each suppressor, gun, and ammunition worked together. They had 3 meters set up, one was placed a meter away, the other two were on the Left & Right of the shooters head. I was the only participant with an M14, a Daewoo, and a .30 caliber Wind Talker suppressor... the testers were excited to see two rifles and a can they had never seen or tested before.

Results will be posted HERE

Last edited by SR420; August 8, 2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old August 8, 2022, 11:40 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Interesting results. It seems like most suppressors are doing a decent job, with 3-5 db of most of their competitors, and then there are a couple that seem to do a good bit better and a couple that do a good bit worse.

Very little supersonic rifle ammo was below 130 db at the ear. Getting down into the 120s or 110s meant being the realm of subsonic for the most part.
Old August 8, 2022, 11:45 AM   #3
SR420

I wish I had taken subsonic .308 with me, those would have been interesting numbers.
Old August 11, 2022, 08:35 AM   #4
dogtown tom

What equipment was used to measure?

I ask because the numbers aren't close to what PEW Science has published.
(and sound is his business)

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 11, 2022, 09:14 AM   #5
SR420

The equipment used to measure