The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2010, 11:48 AM   #26
VA Gent

Silence is GOLDEN! I have the advantage of knowing my layout best. The sound of a gun cycling or any sound for that matter gives away my position and betrays my plan of action... STEALTH...

Since not every one is going to defecate in their spiderman under-roos at the sound of the gun cycling, I am not going to risk it...

We are on the same page here! The guest sitting in "HIS" house has already premeditated visiting "YOUR" house. I feel sure New_Pollution1086 would agree but I'd like his or her input. The uninvited is already light years ahead of the homeowner mentally while they work their plan. You have to come up to speed and pass this jerk- (and this is my whole point of being quite as possible) - get your self together while considering your loved one, take his element of surprise and throw it in his face before he or she greets you. Keep them off balance best possible. That means many things happening pretty fast. Keep your cool though and keep the end in mind. Theres always a cup of coffee, beer, whatever you like when it's over. This isn't hollywood, things can go either way but it's your house, everything there is yours...keep it!
Old September 12, 2010, 01:44 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

VA, I wrap my hand around the ejection port to insure the slowly cycled round won't fall out... Your hand around the receiver also adds a bit of muffling to any metallic sounds. Then I cycle it slowly... I guess "silent" isn't 100% accurate but it is VERY quiet and nothing about the sound is familiar as that coming from a gun action.

Brent
Old September 16, 2010, 04:09 PM   #28
Pezo

I'd say leave safety off and alone. Have magazine downloaded a round or two so the shells don't bulge over time. Chamber empty. If you have time to get the shotgun, racking it doesn't take long. Short stroking shouldn't happen especially if you practice and shoot it regularly
. Safety only good for securing weapon after you have used it maybe. I say rack and fire is the best.

Last edited by Pezo; September 16, 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old September 16, 2010, 08:18 PM   #29
SigP6Carry

I never even thought of rounds bulging. Now I'm afraid.... truly afraid.... I might down-load my tube, now.
Old September 16, 2010, 08:26 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Thomme, if you ain't using a HEAVY mag spring, don't even worry with it... Left loaded for years and no issues... I think it was heavy springs in guns carried in vehicles where vibrations and bumps could exaggerate the problem...

I don't know if modern hulls would even be susceptible... ever...

Brent
Old September 18, 2010, 05:49 PM   #31
VA Gent

Brent, I cleaned & lubed that Mossberg 500 the other day. It's been in the box since new...bought it 12 years ago. Guess it was a bit dry. Cycling noise reduced a good 50% or more. Still louder than I would prefer but it is what it is. I picked up a single shot 410 pistol with 11" brl. It's black also and dead quiet! Between the 2, I'm good to go.
Old September 18, 2010, 05:57 PM   #32
VA Gent

Pezo - I have no idea what you mean by short stroking. The original intent was to leave a round in the chamber at all times. This Mossberg ( maybe other brands will also ) readies the hammer if the lever is pulled back a mere 1/4" or less. THATS a short stroke to me. Takes a fraction of a second with a fraction of the noise....yes...the noise that lets someone know where your located. As Brent mentioned, "silence is golden and in most cases, very rewarding".
Old September 25, 2010, 02:42 AM   #33
therealdeal

I might have to rethink my position and/or speak to some of my buddies again after reading these posts. I was told not to leave one in the chamber due to expansion over time or something of the sort?? I also can fit 7 in the tube(mag) but the 7th doesn't make it by much, and I was told that you can store 7 in the tube(preferrably 6), but like a semiauto you need to empty the weapon every now and then instead of allowing it to sit for long periods of time since the spring is not relaxed. va gent said he might let his sit. anyways, I don't doubt the posts here; this is just what I heard(ex:my buddy doesn't let his semiauto sit for long, long periods of time like he does with his revolvers+same thing for shotgun he said. I have firearms fully loaded and ready to go but I have revolvers and had been curious about his semis so thats how it came up(I was also asking about my shotgun because mine too might sit longer than some other peoples might).I guess he was wrong, but he has been around guns his whole life. I have other weapons fully loaded, but my shotgun at the moment has the rounds next to it ready to go in a jiffy

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old September 26, 2010, 07:15 PM   #34
VA Gent

therealdeal, I guess it depends on your gun. Mine wont let a round sit in the chamber without the hammer/pin resting on the shell. I have a sawed off that will though. It has been loaded for many years with no problems. My home defense is a Mossberg 500. I put 4 rounds in the mag and left it at that with spares in the night stand. That keeps the spring compressed but not by much. The sawed off is a 12G Stevens. Between the 2, someones gonna wish he went elsewhere.
Old September 26, 2010, 07:30 PM   #35
FairWarning

Chambering a round in a Mossberg 500 might be enough to end your conflict by itself.
Old September 26, 2010, 07:39 PM   #36
VA Gent

It could go either way. Chambering that thing will let anyone know where I am though.