The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 16, 2018, 04:43 PM   #1
Tjplush84

Purchasing a handgun issue

Will make this as short and simple as possible. I live in Kansas and purchased a handgun this past Saturday. Background check and everything was fine and left that day without issues. Yesterday (Monday) I went back to the same store to purchase a different handgun that I had also had my eye on. My background check came back "delayed". I have no issues with the law, no felonies, military, or anything that could bring this back as delayed. My research gave me mixed results on purchasing multiple handguns within a short period of time. Some said you can purchase multiple the same day no problem and some said 1 per week. Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old January 16, 2018, 05:40 PM   #2
625TC

I do not know KS law but there is no federal law against multiple handgun purchases. The FFl is required to report multiple handgun sales to the ATF that happen within 7 days of each other. However would expect your delay is more due to s system problem those are very common
Old January 16, 2018, 06:15 PM   #3
lamarw

I recently purchased a revolver in my home State of Alabama. Took a total of about 10 minutes. During the process I saw a nice used Norinco SKS at a very good price on their used sales rack. I drove around the block, went back and bought it. Not an issue in my purchase.
Old January 16, 2018, 06:18 PM   #4
shootniron

No big deal...they will call you to come get it.

Delays happen from time to time...for no apparent reason.
Old January 16, 2018, 06:43 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Shootniron has it exactly right. Just a glitch in the system.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 16, 2018, 07:21 PM   #6
bn12gg

My checks go thru almost instantaneously ---- clean living !!

.02. David.
Old January 16, 2018, 07:31 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Don't sweat it, delays happen occasionally.
Old January 16, 2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Green Lantern

Monday

Holiday for Martin Luther King.
Old January 16, 2018, 10:18 PM   #9
Blindstitch

Just a delay don't worry.
Old January 17, 2018, 12:31 PM   #10
mrdaputer

I have been delayed before it is that they are very busy is all. You will get a call soon if you haven't already
Old January 17, 2018, 03:46 PM   #11
dogtown tom

Quote:
Tjplush84 ........ I have no issues with the law, no felonies, military, or anything that could bring this back as delayed.
When FBI NICS runs your background check it may have returned records of prohibited persons with the same or similar name as yourself. The NICS Legal Document Examiner often needs to do additional research to see if any of those records apply to you.

Quote:
My research gave me mixed results on purchasing multiple handguns within a short period of time. Some said you can purchase multiple the same day no problem and some said 1 per week. Does anyone have any insight on this?
No Federal law restricts the number of firearms a single buyer can acquire at any time.

Quote:
625TC ....The FFl is required to report multiple handgun sales to the ATF that happen within 7 days of each other.
Not true.
Multiple sale of handgun reporting is required when the same buyer acquires more than one handgun from the same dealer in any five day period that the dealer is conducting business. The five day period only counts the days when the dealer is conducting business.

Example 1:
Buyer purchases his first handgun on Monday, Jan 8th, then returns on Saturday Jan 13th to buy another.....no report required.

Example 2:
Dealer is only open weekdays. Closed weekends and holidays. Buyer buys his first handgun on Friday, January 12th. Buyer returns and purchases the second handgun before Saturday, Jan 20th....a Multiple Sale report is required.

Example 3:
The dealer is only open Saturdays and Sundays.
Buyer purchases his handgun on Saturday, January 6th. If he returns to that same dealer and purchases before Sunday Jan 21st a Multiple Sale report is required.

Quote:
However would expect your delay is more due to s system problem those are very common
Doubtful

Quote:
Green Lantern Monday Holiday for Martin Luther King.
Very likely.
When multiple records return to the FBI NICS customer service rep, they forward the call to an FBI Legal Document Examiner who has the authority to decide if the records are that of the OP or that of a prohibited person. Often the record is a state or local document that may not be immediately accessible to the Examiner due to a state holiday. They will give a status of "Delayed" while they continue to research records.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 17, 2018, 04:56 PM   #12
Prof Young

I too have experienced a "delay" twice. It did seem to happen when I as buying more guns more frequently, but I didn't keep exact records. In both instances I had the gun in less than a week's time.

Life is good.
Prof Young