The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 23, 2015, 12:16 PM   #1
wachtelhund1

Thought's on Crossfire II in 6X16 44mm Scope for New AR Build

Help, Trying to select a scope for a new AR build. I've always used Leupold's VAR X III's and VX2's and Nikon Monarch's. I have two Sightron's SIII's on my F class target rifles and a SII on a coyote rig. I'm older and the Leupold's are running out of rear objective eye adjustment for me. I have three VAR X III's sitting in a draw because of this, 3x9 and 3.5X10. Soon I'll send them back to Leupold for adjustment. I don't have this problem with the Sightron's. Or with several Nitrex TR-1 3x9 42mm purchased on close out for $99.00 each. Wish I had purchased a dozen of these. Nikon Monarch's don't have enough MOA adjustment.

I'm building another AR for hunting and long range target shooting, and trying to decide on the next scope. For hunting it will wear a VX2 3x9 mildot with the eye objective already modified by Leupold. Because I'm older and my eye sight isn't what it was; I want more power for 300 to 600 target shooting and load development for this AR.

I'm having a hard time deciding between a Vortex Crossfire II in 6X16 44mm and Sightron SII 6X24 42mm. I have one of these Sightron's. Can't complain about it, zeroed for 300 yards on a Sako .243. But everyone is talking about Vortex scopes and I'm thinking of trying one. Who has used the Crossfire II in 6X16 44mm and what are your thought's.
Old January 23, 2015, 03:37 PM   #2
precision_shooter

The Sightron is around $420-$480, depending on reticle chosen, for that SII model.

For that amount of money, skip the Crossfire (Bottom Line model for Vortex, comparable to the Rifleman or VX1 for Leupold).

Take a look at the Diamondback HP or Viper Line.

Diamondback HP 4-16x42 Side Focus - $330
http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x42-Diamo...pe-P67742.aspx

Viper 6.5-20x50 Side Focus - $469
http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x50-Vipe...pe-P13287.aspx
I have the 6.5-20x44 Viper on my target rifle with Mil-Dot reticle and I love it!

Not that the Crossfire is a bad scope, it's actually quite good, but the Diamondback and Viper are better like the VXII and VXIII are better than the VXI.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Last edited by precision_shooter; January 23, 2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old January 23, 2015, 06:46 PM   #3
tobnpr

I have one...
I'll preface by saying I'm a big fan of Vortex (Vipers), but I'm lukewarm on the Crossfires..."meh"...

The glass, as one would expect from the price point, isn't nearly as clear and eye relief isn't as forgiving.

Vortex has discontinued the 6-24 Viper HS...you won't find better glass for four bills:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper...pe-P78643.aspx
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 24, 2015, 01:50 PM   #4
wachtelhund1

Thanks for the input. Actually I think I'm going with a Vortex Diamondback 4-16 x 42mm. Found one on sale for $290.00.