The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 13, 2019, 06:27 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Sharon Barrels

HEY YA'LL,

A friends Grandpa passed some time back and he was a fellow muzzleloading enthusiasts. So the family is going through his stash and I have access to MANY Sharon Barrels. My question is, are they any good, and about what are they worth. They have no sights, breech plugs, etc. No dove tails cut or any of that.
Old April 13, 2019, 07:04 PM   #2
Pahoo

There is value !!!???

Quote:
I have access to MANY Sharon Barrels.
Greeting Slayer !!!
This posts take me back a few years and they use to be some of the best. There is value there but can't tell you how much. There are still folks out there that are putting SideLocks, together. You are going to have to do some internet searches and gather more information. Document what you have and I can ask around. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old April 13, 2019, 07:45 PM   #3
deerslayer303

Thank Pahoo,
There are a bunch of them. I may snag one of these and build me a rifle. There is a nice 1" .50 cal barrel that may just find its way in my stash. They have alot of other stuff to go through too. Stocks, Locks, etc. So I may just have to build me one.
Old April 13, 2019, 07:46 PM   #4
arcticap

Barrels are worth what people are willing to pay for them.
Sharon was known for making decent barrels.
Caliber, twist rate, length, condition, profile etc are all important.
But they're barrel blanks!
They require a lot of additional work.
They're probably considered to be mid-level or mid-tier barrels.
A premium gun builder probably won't pay as much for them as for a top tier barrel.
They may not want to use them at all since gun buyers expect certain premium brands of barrels.
But some individual builders may have a use for them if the price is right.

I think that one concern for any prospective buyer would be whether they were defective or rejected barrels or not.
And also if someone wants to buy the whole bunch of barrels then they would expect a wholesale price or a special discount deal.

Selling them at auction can also be costly since there are fees involved for both the buyer and the seller, the amount depends on the auction house.

Selling them on eBay could produce results but again there's the fees and the time involved with advertising, packing & shipping.
And the retail market sets their value.
So there are many variables as to their value.
Especially without any specific information, photos or anything.
Each barrel's value is a crap shoot since each barrel needs to become an individual's choice to build a gun around or to use as a replacment.
Sharon reportedly did make some barrels for Thomson Center I believe.
And they also made some of their own rifle kits.

Selling them as a wholesale lot to a vendor that's in the barrel or parts supply business may make a lot of sense if there's a large bunch of barrels.
The large names involved in selling muzzle loading parts would be the people to contact about selling the whole lot.
Then let the vendor deal with their retail sale, and let the family settle for their bulk wholesale value.

How many barrels are you even talking about?

Last edited by arcticap; April 13, 2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old April 13, 2019, 10:16 PM   #5
HiBC

I personally won't waste my time,materials,and other good components on a mediocre barrel.

Among the folks who mentored my muzzle loader rifle making experience,A Sharon was a good,worthy barrel to build a rifle with.

I built my Hawken on one. It shoots
Old April 14, 2019, 12:12 AM   #6
Hawg

Sharon barrels are definitely not mediocre or just decent. Yeah Rice, Colerain, Rayl etc are better but Sharon made damn fine barrels. I wouldn't sell them to a vendor unless you just want to give them away. You'd do a lot better selling them one at a time on ebay. http://grrw.org/sharon-rifle-barrel-co/
Old April 14, 2019, 01:16 AM   #7
arcticap

I agree but there's always potential problems.

1. Do they have any blemishes after so many years of storage?

2. I doubt they are worth as much as Green Mountain barrel blanks.

3. And we don't know how many there are or if there are any specialty calibers that have higher demand.

If there are 20 or 30 barrels then it's easier to sell them individually or in small lots.
But if there are 40, 50, 60 barrels then it could take 6 months to 1 year to sell that many barrels on eBay.
And by the time the seller pays 14% in fees to eBay and Paypal, and the cost for shipping materials and time spent managing photos and sales ads, then any additional money is going down the drain along with a lot of time and effort.

I can see selling them in small lots at a discount to entice people or small gunmakers to buy them.

But they must be almost 50 years old.
I don't want to guess what they're worth because I don't know enough details about them.
But I do know how much I wouldn't pay for one, unless it was something special.
That's mostly because I'm a realist, and I'm pretty much all set with BP guns.
Most folks are sending barrels to Bobby Hoyt to be re-rifled for about $140 or relined for about $175.
That includes breech plug, sights everything included to fit into a factory stock.
Buy an old TC barrel for $50 - $60, or buy a rust bucket and let Hoyt fix it up.
Turn it into a .54, .58 or .62, round bottom rifling, square bottom rifling, or whatever you want.
Even smoothbores.
People seem to love the quality of his work and his prices.

Last edited by arcticap; April 14, 2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old April 14, 2019, 05:48 AM   #8
Old Stony

I think the quality of Sharon barrels is just fine. I have had some in the past and still have one rifle built around one, and it's a dandy shooter. Among the serious muzzleloader folks...at least the older ones...those barrels are considered to be good quality.
Old April 14, 2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Pahoo

Wishing I was in your shoes !!!

Quote:
There are a bunch of them. I may snag one of these and build me a rifle. There is a nice 1" .50 cal barrel that may just find its way in my stash. They have alot of other stuff to go through too. Stocks, Locks, etc. So I may just have to build me one.
I have to admit that when I see posts like this, I start to get a bit excited. As I replied before, why don't you start documenting what you have and then start listing them. It's likely that you may wind up with a bunch of locks that are also desirable. The Sidelock market has bin a bit flat, around here but starting to pick up. You have a lot of options and even though one keep score by the money it's time to send this "stuff", to some good homes. Pretty neat what you have there !!! ……

Be Safe
Old April 14, 2019, 05:41 PM   #10
deerslayer303

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the replies. I posted this wondering about Sharon barrels as I've never heard of them because I consider myself still a newbie at muzzleloading. That and I was wondering what I should pay for one of them. I may make my friend an offer and buy the whole lot and maybe pass them off to some others. All of the barrels look great really Normal patina but in no way rust buckets. There are some small calibers too. When I get them I will post up more info.