The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 16, 2019, 02:57 PM   #1
CAPMJUSTICE

Charter arms boomer(44spl) vs ruger lcr(327)

So I'm considering getting a pocket revolver and I haven't been happy with the common 38 spl products out there. I'm not recoil sensitive, and I have, and have shot several full size revolvers. Trying to stay 20oz or less, My logic in these options is that if I'm gonna be limited to 5 shots I want the largest caliber possible, within reason for weight, and if I want six shots I like the reviews and research I've seen on the 327. If anyone has insight into these, or recommendations I would appreciate it. I'm really having a hard time deciding between them. I like the multiple caliber options of the 327 and the ballistics I've read, but not the ammo cost, and I like the versatility and class of the 44spl and the fact that boomer just fits in my weight preference. feel free to get picky. I've over analyzed the decision myself and am coming to you for how other minds and experience might look at this. I'll provide links to them:

https://charterfirearms.com/products/boomer

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5452.html

Last edited by CAPMJUSTICE; April 16, 2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old April 16, 2019, 03:04 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

Might want to look at the Kimber K6 because it's the same size as the LCR and holds 6 rounds of .357. I can pocket carry it, but today working around the property, I am carrying it in a belly band and hardly notice it's there any more than my LCR or even lighter 3" LCRX.

Expensive but worth every cent.
It's not any larger than the LCR .327 and the ammo is more avaiable and cheaper.

The charter arms cannot shoot the really hot BB .44 special woods loads.
Old April 16, 2019, 03:17 PM   #3
stinkeypete

Here is a different perspective: there is a lot to be said for the tradition and history that resonates with you.

My opinion is you will never fire your handgun in a combat situation and if you did even .22 LR would do the job. But that’s no fun.

.44 Special is “the hammer.” It has a rich and fabulous history and story. There is nothing intrinsically great about the Charter gun. Except it’s made in the USA, made by a company with a long history in the business, and since it’s a belly gun all it really need do is go bang. If someone gave me one, I would never sell it. It’s a cool lump of steel.

I often identify myself as a “ruger guy” and the history of the .32’s is fabulous. The LCRs don’t have history, they are “what if Ruger made radical space age revolvers in the middle of the “gotta have a Glock” era? A little bit of ancient history and a little bit of hypermodernism in the anachronism of being a revolver. I want one. I want a 3 inch lcrx in .327 but unless Talo orders some up it will never happen.

Both are cool. Neither ever said “failure to feed”.

If you can’t have both today, why not get the one that gives you the warmest fuzzy feeling and make plans to save up and get the other.. use them both... see if one becomes “your go-to” gun?

I like your dilemma, man! You are stuck on the wide ends of the revolver options... biggest most traditional hammer or smallest fastest newest scalpel. How can you pick?
Old April 16, 2019, 03:25 PM   #4
CAPMJUSTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
Here is a different perspective: there is a lot to be said for the tradition and history that resonates with you.

My opinion is you will never fire your handgun in a combat situation and if you did even .22 LR would do the job. But that’s no fun.

.44 Special is “the hammer.” It has a rich and fabulous history and story. There is nothing intrinsically great about the Charter gun. Except it’s made in the USA, made by a company with a long history in the business, and since it’s a belly gun all it really need do is go bang. If someone gave me one, I would never sell it. It’s a cool lump of steel.

I often identify myself as a “ruger guy” and the history of the .32’s is fabulous. The LCRs don’t have history, they are “what if Ruger made radical space age revolvers in the middle of the “gotta have a Glock” era? A little bit of ancient history and a little bit of hypermodernism in the anachronism of being a revolver. I want one. I want a 3 inch lcrx in .327 but unless Talo orders some up it will never happen.

Both are cool. Neither ever said “failure to feed”.

If you can’t have both today, why not get the one that gives you the warmest fuzzy feeling and make plans to save up and get the other.. use them both... see if one becomes “your go-to” gun?

I like your dilemma, man! You are stuck on the wide ends of the revolver options... biggest most traditional hammer or smallest fastest newest scalpel. How can you pick?
Great insight into my heart and soul! Are you a psychiatrist or minister? I might have to get both, but then I still have to decide which one do I get first. ahhhhhhhh
Old April 16, 2019, 05:16 PM   #5
74A95

The 44 special ammo is no less expensive than the 327.
Old April 16, 2019, 06:07 PM   #6
David R

I have a bulldog. It fits in some J frame holsters. Its a fun gun. I am a handloader. It has never shot factory ammo. Accuracy is great if you can shoot it. The factory grip caused me trouble, so I replaced it with a Pacmayr. This made a huge difference.
I like the 44 special. Its a 240 grain bullet around 800 fps. I have had it pull bullets that were not crimped properly. Only once, but it happened.

I also blew the top off one by using some unknown reloads. I called Charter the next day. The girl that answered the phone was the daughter. I told her exactly what happened. It was only a few days old. She sent a label and they replaced it. No charge. That was a few years ago. I still carry it now and then.
While riding my bicycle, I pulled into my own yard. A dog charged me. I pulled the bulldog from a shoulder holster and put a round in the dirt right in front of it. Between getting sprayed with dirt and the BANG made it exit my yard in a hurry.
I also have a 3" Smith and Wesson 624 from the custom shop. Its a whole different gun. Too big and heavy to carry, but its a blast to shoot bowling pins with .

I have shot steel pins with the Bulldog a couple times. Slow and steady, it will hit them at 30 feet.

Deciding between 327 and 44 special is your decision.

A K6 is in a whole different league.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Old April 16, 2019, 10:34 PM   #7
Dan-O

If you don’t reload, neither one is really a best option.

That being said I have both. Well, not the boomer, just a regular one.
Old April 17, 2019, 03:40 AM   #8
Carmady

You might like the Ruger LCR in 9mm. Ammo is cheap and everywhere, 17.2 oz, comfy stock Hogue grip, and there's a smaller Hogue Bantam grip which helps with pocket carry for about $20+.
Old April 17, 2019, 01:31 PM   #9
rclark

Really your choice.

I prefer the .44 Special myself (I reload) and have the Bulldog just for concealed carry and house gun. It is a gun that, IMHO, is not meant to be shot a lot. Just handy. I have other .44 Special revolvers for practice. I used to bring it to the range once a month for a few (10 or so) rounds down range, but now it rarely gets out at all. Can't comment on LCRs as I don't have any of those revolvers.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 17, 2019, 06:29 PM   #10
dgludwig

Quote:
Might want to look at the Kimber K6 because it's the same size as the LCR and holds 6 rounds of .357.
Are you certain about that? I've never weighed or measured either revolver but I've hefted and handled them side by side at a lgs and the Kimber seemed to be significantly larger and heavier than the Ruger. Or so it "seemed".
Old April 17, 2019, 06:42 PM   #11
JERRYS.

if the gun was for me only, I'd opt for the bulldog if I could check the cylinder and crane/toke slop wasn't there as usual.
Old April 17, 2019, 08:43 PM   #12
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Are you certain about that? I've never weighed or measured either revolver but I've hefted and handled them side by side at a lgs and the Kimber seemed to be significantly larger and heavier than the Ruger. Or so it "seemed".
I have them both. The Kimber is just slightly larger because it has a 2.5" barrel and the LCR is 1 7/8 and the cylinder is just a tad larger in diameter. The LCR weights in at 17 to 18 ounces empty and the Kimber at 23 to 24 so about 7 ounces heavier.

But for all practical puposed, I can pocket carry both easily, both feel the same size in AIWB and carrying IWB or OWB, the weigh difference doesn't feel that much. In the photos the LCR has very tiny grips I made and the Kimber oversized so don't go by the grips, just the frames.
First pic, side by side:

Second pic, LCR on top of Kimber K6 (hiding it) You'll notice that the trigger guard is larger on the LCR as well. The LCR will not fit into the desantis holster for the Kimber K6 as the guard is too large.

Third pic, muzzle to muzzle comparison. Look at the frames, not the grip size which can be changed around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05902.JPG (242.8 KB, 959 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05903.JPG (224.2 KB, 976 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05905.JPG (225.2 KB, 961 views)
Old April 17, 2019, 09:21 PM   #13
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
I have them both. The Kimber is just slightly larger because it has a 2.5" barrel and the LCR is 1 7/8 and the cylinder is just a tad larger in diameter. The LCR weights in at 17 to 18 ounces empty and the Kimber at 23 to 24 so about 7 ounces heavier.
Your Kimber has a 2.5" barrel? It looks like a 2.0" barrel. Which model is it that has a 2.5" barrel?
Old April 17, 2019, 09:26 PM   #14
HighValleyRanch

You're right, I had a brain fart. 2' it is!
Old April 19, 2019, 05:57 PM   #15
dgludwig

Quote:
The LCR weights in at 17 to 18 ounces empty and the Kimber at 23 to 24 so about 7 ounces heavier.

But for all practical puposed, I can pocket carry both easily, both feel the same size in AIWB and carrying IWB or OWB, the weigh difference doesn't feel that much.
Thanks for the information, HighValleyRanch, but a revolver weighing almost a half a pound heavier than one weighing 17 to 18 ounces, is six or seven ounces heavier than I want in a gun being carried in my pocket. Just my opinion, of course.
Old April 19, 2019, 10:09 PM   #16
the Black Spot

I've always wanted a boomer with wood stocks and a tyler t-grip
Old April 20, 2019, 10:14 AM   #17
Tactical Lever

Charter Arms doesn't have a great reputation for quality, or at least durability. That gun will kind of limit you to fairly pedestrian loads, at low speed which doesn't really put in the same category as the faster rounds that reportedly "stop faster". Not sure the porting will do you any favors if you need to shoot in a dimly lit parking lot, or in an enclosed space for that matter.

I ignore the sights and just rip up a target at typical confrontation ranges, but it doesn't help you pull off an accurate shot at a target that just took cover when you have no sights at all, and a long DAO trigger.

I'd give Ruger the edge for quality, the sights, and an extra round.

But I'd also give the SP-101 in .357 a look. I like the option of cocking it, and having the extra power.

I'd prefer a .44 Special for a woods gun, and I think it would be hard to beat the GP-100 with a 3" bbl. for that. Or an old Rossi. But both of those are probably a little heavier and bulkier than what you're looking for right now.
Old April 21, 2019, 11:09 AM   #18
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Charter Arms doesn't have a great reputation for quality, or at least durability. That gun will kind of limit you to fairly pedestrian loads, at low speed which doesn't really put in the same category as the faster rounds that reportedly "stop faster". Not sure the porting will do you any favors if you need to shoot in a dimly lit parking lot, or in an enclosed space for that matter.

I ignore the sights and just rip up a target at typical confrontation ranges, but it doesn't help you pull off an accurate shot at a target that just took cover when you have no sights at all, and a long DAO trigger.

I'd give Ruger the edge for quality, the sights, and an extra round.

But I'd also give the SP-101 in .357 a look. I like the option of cocking it, and having the extra power.

I'd prefer a .44 Special for a woods gun, and I think it would be hard to beat the GP-100 with a 3" bbl. for that. Or an old Rossi. But both of those are probably a little heavier and bulkier than what you're looking for right now.
I did some investigating before I recently ordered a Charter Arms revolver. The early ones apparently were well regarded and a change in ownership caused a quality drop before they were bought back and their quality and reputation were restored. Their current revolvers (that's all they make) have a lifetime warranty and their reputation to take care of issues is good. I chose a Charter Arms 22lr because the cost was about half of what a Smith or Ruger costs.
Old April 21, 2019, 11:06 PM   #19
Safestuffer

I like to shoot my revolvers frequently, which would rule out the Boomer. I've already shot one Bulldog loose with about 200 mild 240gr. loads. Also not impressed with the internal parts and design of the Charter Arms revolvers.
Old April 22, 2019, 08:16 PM   #20
rclark

Quote:
I like to shoot my revolvers frequently,
I do too... But the Charter Arms Bulldog works well for that shelf gun or CC pocket gun. Just tucked away for that hopefully never needed incident. I have plenty of other .44 Specials to shoot 'frequently'. Buy a Ruger .44 Special GP-100, or .44 Special Flattop, or even some other brand if you want a gun to shoot a lot.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 26, 2019, 02:34 PM   #21
Safestuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
I do too... But the Charter Arms Bulldog works well for that shelf gun or CC pocket gun. Just tucked away for that hopefully never needed incident. I have plenty of other .44 Specials to shoot 'frequently'. Buy a Ruger .44 Special GP-100, or .44 Special Flattop, or even some other brand if you want a gun to shoot a lot.
If I am going to carry a gun or trust my life to it as a defensive handgun, it needs to have a lifespan longer than 200 rnds of mild handloads. 200 rounds isn't even enough to become familiar with a gun, let alone proficient.
Old April 26, 2019, 09:32 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

I'd go with the Charter, primarily for two reasons:
1. I like putting bigger holes in things.
2. I value my hearing.

That second one is a secondary factor to many people, since firing a handgun in a defensive encounter is going to be a problem no matter what. But, firing some of the high pressure cartridges, like .357 Mag, .327 Federal, etc., in enclosed spaces is a whole 'nother ball game. I have experienced multiple discharges in enclosed spaces, with 9mm, .44 Mag, .22 LR, 12 ga, .223 Rem, 7.62x39mm, and .357 Mag (and probably more). Depending upon the location and cartridge, it ranges from very unpleasant to deafening and almost crippling.

.327 Federal is not something that I want to experience in an enclosed space. I do, however, own a .327 LCR. So, I carry it loaded with a moderately hot .32 H&R load. Easier on the ears. Theoretically almost as effective as .327 Federal.

...But sticking with .44 Special's lower pressure means you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Old May 5, 2019, 08:41 AM   #23
kozak6

How set are you on weight?

If you are interested in Charter Arms, the Pitbull in .45 acp is only a few ounces more, except you get real sights. Since ammo cost is significant, .45 acp can cost almost half that of .44 special.

Just throwing that out there.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:09 AM   #24
Carmady

^^^
That's a good idea. Only 2 oz more, and you also get higher velocity from cheaper (and much easier to find) ammo. They have a DAO hammer that's an easy replacement for the spur hammer.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:04 AM   #25
gnystrom

Kimber K6s. Smooth trigger, solid build, and six shots.