The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 31, 2019, 04:06 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

Recent CMP Special Field Grade/Service Grades

Has anyone purchased a special field grade Garand recently from CMP? I was considering either the original service grades or the field special. CMP states there is considerable pitting on the field receivers, but I am really just looking for a shooter so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, as the specials have new criterion barrels ready to go.

Can anyone show pics of a Special Field or Service grade rifle they recently purchased? I know that the cream of the crop is probably done, or could there be Philippine M1s in the future that might be wise to consider?

Thanks.
Old March 31, 2019, 07:56 PM   #2
Rimfire5

A fellow RO at our range bought a Special grade rifle recently and it was a beauty.
It was my understanding that the special grades are rebuilt with new barrels and stocks at the very least. His certainly looked like it had been.

After a bit of breaking in, I watched him shoot a couple of 5 round groups at 100 yards with iron sights. He astounded me and himself by shooting right around 1 inch groups.
I barely could see the target and he shot tight groups with CMP Creedmoor ammo.

I was really impressed.
That is the second Special grade M1 that I have personally seen at our range. Another RO bought one and his also looked pristine and it also shot well, but he was testing it out at 50 yards.