The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2019, 07:17 PM   #1
HappyTrap687*

Ruger GP100 .22 LR

My Ruger has an estimated 1000 rounds thru it. About 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 shells do not fire. It has the original hammer spring. No other mods. The holes where no firing occurs are random. The cylinder seems to be very tight with not more than .005 movement. Visually there is no dirt or other problem. It seems to me the rims have a very small dimple in them when fired. Based on the observation of my Trailside or High Standard it is a wonder any of them fire at all. I have used Remington, Winchester, And Aguila run of the mill cheap ammo. Can anybody give me any ideas on how to fix my non-firing problem.
Old March 14, 2019, 07:20 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Try better ammo. Clean it. Dirty guns don't work well. Could be a burr somewhere. However, if it works with good quality ammo, it's the cheap ammo your Ruger doesn't like.
Old March 14, 2019, 07:20 PM   #3
weblance

Send it back to Ruger
Old March 14, 2019, 11:46 PM   #4
ballardw

Did you try a second time to fire any of those with apparent light strikes without removing them from the cylinder? A close to minimum spec chamber diameter and near maximum spec diameter ammo sometimes means that cases do not quite seat as deep as they should into the chamber. The first attempt to fire may seat the cartridge deeper in to cylinder and the slight movement means not enough energy was transferred to ignite the primer. If the second attempt has them fire this becomes one likely scenario.

A small amount of un-burnt powder or fouling build up might cause this. Hence the suggestion to clean it.

I know that some brands of ammo I have noticed it sometimes takes a little push to seat into my Ruger Single-Six chambers, not just "drop in" like you might want.
Old March 15, 2019, 08:46 PM   #5
berettaprofessor

That was a known problem with the GP100's when they first came out. Sending it back to Ruger seemed to be the only real solution. I traded mine when I finally came to the realization that I didn't want a 22LR that heavy.
Old March 16, 2019, 02:56 PM   #6
Scorch

I bet it happens primarily when shooting single action. One problem I've encountered with Ruger revolvers is the transfer bar being a little short and not reaching completely over the firing pin. When shooting double action, people tend to follow through pretty well, but in single action they tend to just pull the trigger enough to barely enough to release the hammer, so the transfer bar isn't always up over the firing pin when the hammer strikes.