The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2019, 10:15 AM   #1
mrdaputer

Decapping off the press

I shoot a lot of 9mm at my outdoor club. When I am done I use a ammo broom to collect the brass. Usually I shoot with brothers or friends so I get a lot of spent brass. The problem I had was decapping on my Hornady lnl press got so dirty with the sand from the club. I could wash them dry them decap but I like clean primer pockets.
What I did was drill a hole in a piece of flat stock put in a small 9mm shell holder and tacked welded the bottom. Then mounted it to my small drill press. I use a Squirrel Daddy hardened decapping pin in my drill press. I don't even turn on the drill press. It is fast and easy to load and slide the empties into a bucket in front of me. Now I can decap a few or a lot at a time. I put 7lbs into my fart tumbler so I will always have a ton of clean brass to use. For those that do decapping on the side you have to check out the Squirrel Daddy hardened decapping pins. Those things are awesome
Old April 15, 2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Chuck Norris

I use a Lee decapping die,it helps keeping the crud out of my dies.
Old April 15, 2019, 06:05 PM   #3
PA-Joe

I use a lee hand press and decapping die.
Old April 15, 2019, 06:56 PM   #4
BBarn

I use a decapping die in a hollow ram press. Keeps most of the mess away from press wear surfaces.
Old April 15, 2019, 07:11 PM   #5
Marco Califo

The Lee decapping die is great. Even better, use it on a Lee hand press, and you can deprime while watching TV. The die does not touch the dirty brass, and deprimed brass cleans up very well in hot/boiled water. I like to use dishwasher machine pods in very hot water and agitate with a dowel.
I also recently bought a Frankford Arsenal hand decapper. It works and maybe faster.
After depriming I tumble in walnut. I like to use a primer pocket uniformer to break up any primer residue before tumbling.
I think the FART is the best way to clean brass and if using SS pins you do not need to worry about the primer pockets.
I also prime off the press with an RCBS hand primer. Trying to do everything at once on a progressive press does not make sense to me. I prefer to do each step separately, then load clean primed brass: powder, bullet, done.
Old April 16, 2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Old 454

I tumble in walnut... then decap on the press... then wet tumble... very very clean brass
Old April 16, 2019, 08:17 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Side note: If you get into cleaning brass in boiling water in a pot or methods involving other kitchenware or appliances like dishwashers and washing machines, be aware of the water-soluble lead compounds in primer reside are toxic and contaminate water and the equipment. The use of citric acid (the principal ingredient in Lemishine) mitigates lead toxicity by chelating it (bonding it into a larger molecule that doesn't easily let go of the lead again). I recommend adding it to whatever wet cleaning routine you may have.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 16, 2019, 08:37 AM   #8
jmorris

I made this automated decapping machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgU3-OXuUU
Old April 16, 2019, 09:13 AM   #9
mrdaputer

Quote:
I made this automated decapping machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgU3-OXuUU

That is awesome how long did it take you to do that bad boy?
Old April 16, 2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Marco Califo

Unclenick that is certainly true. I only use repurposed plastics, only in the garage, and only ap garage washtub drain. There is also a significant risk in and around dry tumbling areas.

Last edited by Marco Califo; April 16, 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old April 16, 2019, 11:08 AM   #11
mikld

I don't need pristine primer pockets, but I agree, I don't want all the junk on my press, and I think the carbon and burned primer compound can be abrasive. So, I tumble then I decap on a dedicated single stage "C" press with a universal depriming die. My Co-Ax stays clean...

FWIW; I had my tumbler in use and didn't want to get my wobbler out so I washed some brass like I did many years ago; 1 gal water. 1 teaspoon Dawn. 1 tea spoon lemishine. Shake & soak for 1/2 hour and the brass came out really clean and no primer residue...

Last edited by mikld; April 16, 2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old April 16, 2019, 11:56 AM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo
There is also a significant risk in and around dry tumbling areas.
Yep. It's one of the reasons I had for switching to wet cleaning.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 16, 2019, 01:47 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

I use a dedicated decapping press and universal decapping die.
It lets me decap properly without getting the garbage in/on my good presses.
The Lee press was so nasty and rough when new, that all of the dirty and grime from range brass is probably beneficial...

I mounted it to a 2x4, in order to be able to clamp the press in my vise (away from the reloading bench), and so that I could attach a primer collection jar.
A few minor modifications were required for primers to be captured reliably, but it works well now.

The little baby food jar holds about 1,600 small primers, or about 800 large primers.

Old April 16, 2019, 02:12 PM   #14
Targa

I have been tumbling first, then decapping on my press. I ream out the primer pockets with a Lyman tool attached to my drill and then reload. Seems to be working well but I havent been reloading long so my method might change.
Old April 17, 2019, 12:05 AM   #15
markr6754

I do a bit of all the above. Lee hand press with Lee Universal decapper, Frankford Arsenal hand decapper, on the press with the Lee Universal and a jig I got off eBay that directs spent primers and debris down a long tube. Lately I’ve tied a used disposable glove to the end of the tube, then when done or full I tie a knot in the glove and throw the captured primers in the trash. No method is as fast as the auto decapper shown above, but I don’t have the mechanical skill to build my own.
Old April 17, 2019, 08:02 PM   #16
Old 454

Hot damn... lolol you should sell that depriming system... I want one!!
Old April 17, 2019, 09:27 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
I use a Lee decapping die,it helps keeping the crud out of my dies.
Quote:
I use a lee hand press and decapping die.
Quote:
I use a decapping die in a hollow ram press.
Quote:
I use a dedicated decapping press and universal decapping die.
And another vote. I decap using a Lee universal decapping die in a single stage press that's used only for that purpose.