The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2019, 09:09 PM   #1
reynolds357

Data for 62gr Gold Dot 224 Valkyrie

Anyone have any data for that bullet?
Old April 13, 2019, 10:35 PM   #2
lordmorgul

Curious why you would? Just to use stock?

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old April 14, 2019, 06:54 AM   #3
reynolds357

1. Just to use stock. I have a pile of them.
2. It's a wonderful hunting bullet for deer.
Old April 14, 2019, 07:04 AM   #4
Mobuck

"It's a wonderful hunting bullet for deer."

Maybe in a 16" .223 but how's it going to act @ 400 FPS more velocity?
Old April 14, 2019, 08:39 AM   #5
reynolds357

Since I have been using it in a 24" .22-250 I am not sure how it will act at the slower velocities of the Valkyrie. I started a simple thread about loading data, not a debate about bullet choice.
Old April 14, 2019, 10:51 AM   #6
lordmorgul

Data for 62gr Gold Dot 224 Valkyrie

It’s still a relatively new caliber, any variations from how it was introduced are interesting discussions, and your thread got visibility from interest.

I think that Hornady having the 60gr Vmax in Valkyrie out there makes the case for it, I was not aware of it until your thread, only saw the 90gr before.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old April 14, 2019, 11:10 AM   #7
hounddawg

since Speer does not list any data for the bullet online you are down to three choices

1. use a different bullet until Speer publishes data
2. look at the powder manufacturers site and hope they have published data
3. google Sierras online data for .224 Valkyrie and look for similar weight bullets and use common sense when working up your loads looking for pressure indicators. Or use your powder manufacturers data for similar weight bullets

I think that sums it up, the choice is yours
Old April 14, 2019, 12:12 PM   #8
reynolds357

Quote:
since Speer does not list any data for the bullet online you are down to three choices

1. use a different bullet until Speer publishes data
2. look at the powder manufacturers site and hope they have published data
3. google Sierras online data for .224 Valkyrie and look for similar weight bullets and use common sense when working up your loads looking for pressure indicators. Or use your powder manufacturers data for similar weight bullets

I think that sums it up, the choice is yours
Unfortunately, Gold Dot is not interchangeable with traditional jacketed data. I can work up loads for it, but I try to avoid working up loads for autoloader. Not as easy to read pressure signs and much smaller margin for error.
Old April 14, 2019, 06:01 PM   #9
hounddawg

Quote:
I can work up loads for it, but I try to avoid working up loads for autoloader. Not as easy to read pressure signs and much smaller margin for error
I guess you will just have to go with a different bullet or wait on Speer to publish data

BTW a good portion of the posts on this and most other reloading forums is by and for people developing loads for their AR's so I have no idea where you came up with the second part
Old April 14, 2019, 06:12 PM   #10
reynolds357

Quote:
BTW a good portion of the posts on this and most other reloading forums is by and for people developing loads for their AR's so I have no idea where you came up with the second part
Really?
How strong is an Ar15 action vs a 700 Remington? It would be almost physically impossible to blow up a 700 Rem with 224 Valkyrie using proper powder type. It would be easy to blow up an AR. All the stray marks and random brass damage, make reading pressure a little harder. Your stating the absolute obvious is of absolutely no help. I asked if anyone had load data. I didn't ask how to work up loads.
Old April 14, 2019, 09:07 PM   #11
hounddawg

Quote:
I asked if anyone had load data. I didn't ask how to work up loads
why did you even bother asking if you already knew Nosler had no load data and that is the only data you will accept?

Anyway don't worry about me posting in any of your future threads
Old April 14, 2019, 09:47 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
why did you even bother asking if you already knew Nosler had no load data and that is the only data you will accept?

Anyway don't worry about me posting in any of your future threads
It's Speer, not Nosler. You provided no data. You simply stated the obvious. I would welcome data, that is why the thread was started. Unfortunately, it provided everything BUT data.
Old April 14, 2019, 09:52 PM   #13
hounddawg

Speer, Nosler whatever. Just wondering where this data would come from if you knew the manufacturer had no data and manufacturer data is all you will accept? That makes no sense at all to me. Also developing for a gas gun is the same as developing for any gun, use common sense and err on the side of safety.
Old April 14, 2019, 10:04 PM   #14
reynolds357

You said data from a manufacturer was all I would accept. I never said that. I knew that Speer had no data, that's why I asked. I didn't ask for work up instructions. FYI, work up for the Gold Dot is not the same as for other jacketed bullets. There is one more factor you have to deal with that you don't have to deal with in a conventional jacket.
Old April 15, 2019, 08:41 AM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Reynolds357,

Hodgdon has lots of data for the 62 grain Swift Sirocco in the 224 Valkyrie. It is likely to be very close to cross-compatible. The starting loads will certainly be good with both. Work up from there.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 15, 2019, 12:30 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

You do not need bullet manufacturer specific data. You need 62 grain Valkyrie data. That's on Hodgdon's site.
"...work up for the Gold Dot is not the same...Gold Dot is not interchangeable..." Yes it is. You use the data by bullet weight for a Gold Dot just like you do for any bullet. There's nothing particularly special about a Gold Dot.
Old April 15, 2019, 01:12 PM   #17
reynolds357

Quote:
You do not need bullet manufacturer specific data. You need 62 grain Valkyrie data. That's on Hodgdon's site.
"...work up for the Gold Dot is not the same...Gold Dot is not interchangeable..." Yes it is. You use the data by bullet weight for a Gold Dot just like you do for any bullet. There's nothing particularly special about a Gold Dot.
With all due respect, you need to educate yourself on the Gold Dot rifle bullet. The data is NOT interchangeable. There is something "particularly special about a Gold Dot."
Old April 15, 2019, 01:49 PM   #18
reynolds357

Quote:
Hodgdon has lots of data for the 62 grain Swift Sirocco in the 224 Valkyrie. It is likely to be very close to cross-compatible. The starting loads will certainly be good with both. Work up from there.
I am thinking start a touch under starting. The Gold Dot is the renamed Deep Curl and most remember the horrors of that bullet. What I was told happened with the deep curl was that rifles blew with no pressure signs. What was happening was the bullets were being pushed to the pressure at which they leak lead. Then almost immediate lead depositing shot the pressure up astronomically in a matter of a few shots. Supposedly, it's pressure, not velocity that causes them to deposit lead.
Old April 15, 2019, 03:27 PM   #19
ed308

People have been shooting Speer's 90 gr GD out of 6.8 SPCII for years and haven't experienced problems. But you might want to call Speer and discuss your specific concerns.
Old April 17, 2019, 04:45 PM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

The principal difference is the Gold Dot has a plated jacket rather than a cup formed jacket. I was told by a Speer tech who has run the plating machine that some of the Gold Dot published load ranges for pistol are well above jacketed loads because of the lower start pressure due to the GD jacket being softer. Sort of halfway between cup formed jackets and lead. The rifle bullets do seem to run lower than jacketed bullet loads by approximately 5% in many instances, so maybe that's where you'd feel better starting them out.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle