The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 2019, 09:39 AM   #1
ndking1126

Savage Bolt Front Baffle

I'm hoping to confirm that the front baffle that is listed as for Savage long actions will also fit the short action bolts.

I have a baffle that looks like this (I don't know how to confirm it's exacly the same - also, mine is stainless) on a short action bolt that was originally chambered for 223.

I've found this baffle, but it is listed for long action bolts. Will this be a direct replacement for the baffle my short action savage 10 that is now chambered in 243? I need to be able to bring the bolt back farther in order to be able to push the bullets out of the internal mag.

Last edited by ndking1126; March 25, 2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old March 25, 2019, 10:36 AM   #2
RC20

Just a caution, you also need a new bolt head as the rim size for .243 is 308 derived.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-savage-bolts/ Go down a bit and it shows the bolts on a 223 and 308.

The baffle for the 223 is modified to make a shorter stroke. So a standard baffle works for 243 - I have both short and long action bolts and the baffle is the same.

You can also cut the old baffle down but you may not want to get into metal work.
Old March 25, 2019, 10:55 AM   #3
ndking1126

RC20, thank you for the confirmation. I know they aren't expensive parts if one accidentally orders the wrong one, but the hassle of the return, lost time, etc is annoying. I'd rather get it right the first time. And you guessed it, I don't care to modify what I've got. I've tested my hands at that kind of stuff in the past with reasonable success, but this particular rifle I really want done right, not half way or even a little bubba'ed.

Good looking out on the bolt head. I already replaced it and the gun's shooting great. I mentioned that in my post originally, but ended up rewording just about the whole thing and forgot to put it back in.

Thanks again!

Last edited by ndking1126; March 25, 2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old March 25, 2019, 01:50 PM   #4
RC20

You are welcome.

I had missed the 223 type baffle adapter if you will so I learned something as well.

I have been shooting my Savages for 4 years now, still have to wrap my mind around the baffle / bolt head as its not standard for vast majority.

I did open up the face of a 06 base bolt head to accommodate a 7.5 Swiss as they have a that cartridge only rim size (between 06 rim and a magnum rim)

I have done pretty good with that sort of thing but it was purely circular open up, I was amazed it came out right the first go.

I do like the Savage setup for flexibility. Lots of people offer parts.