The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 2, 2001, 07:49 PM   #1
BlueOrbit

I have a small collection, which includes a Remington 870 Police Magnum with an 18-inch barrel.

I always clean all my firearms after every range session. But I hear that some people say that it is not necessary to clean an 870 that often.

Should I continue to clean the 870 after every range session or can it be cleaned less frequently?

============
P.S. By the way, that 870 Police Magnum with rifled sights, black synthetic furniture is a GREAT shotgun!!
Old May 2, 2001, 09:20 PM   #2
Fatcat

After shooting, I always at least break it down and re-oil it, especially if I was out in the rain (which I often am). I'll also clean the inside of the chamber, but I don't swab the barrel very often..
Old May 3, 2001, 03:30 AM   #3
sam3

as a police armoror i think i can say that one of the best ways to prevent firearms problems is regular cleaning. my depts. first 870's were trashed do to a lack of longterm cleaning , i now clean them when we shoot them(usually in the rain to) and take them out of the cars once a month and field strip them ,wipe any dust off and wipe them down with a sentry sol. tuff cloth.
Old May 3, 2001, 05:08 AM   #4
yankytrash

Whoever told you that a gun doesn't require cleaning after every shooting session is only being lazy. If you take care of your gun, it'll take care of you.
Old May 3, 2001, 05:37 AM   #5
K80Geoff

Cleaning

Clean My Shotguns after I finish shooting.

Usually clean the bore immediately after I finish shooting before I case the gun. Since I use O/Us a lot this is a simple procedure with a boresnake or tikka tool.

When I get home the gun gets a thorough cleaning.

870s take a little longer but keeping them clean insures longer life for the various components.

Put a gun away dirty and you will have rust and pitting.

Geoff Ross
Old May 3, 2001, 05:44 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Blue, while an 870 will function when dirty and underlubed, that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Here's how mine are cleaned, re scheduling....

My 870 TB trap gun gets used 2-5 times a week, up to a case of ammo. Bbl scrubbed with Boresnake every time, steel wool/dowel in drill about once a week. I take out the bolt and trigger group about once a month and clean/lube.While the bolt and TG's out, I wipe out the receiver.

The other 870s get cleaned after use, and at least once a year if they're not used. Example, my HD 870 is a dedicated tool, and it may go a year or more w/o being fired.BTW, it's 50 years old, been used a lot and has zero rust, very slight pitting in the bore. If you take care of an 870, it will take care of untold generations of your family.
Old May 3, 2001, 10:59 AM   #7
BlueOrbit

Thank you guys for great input, as usual.

I will continue cleaning my 870 after every session...

Thanks again!
Old May 7, 2001, 12:34 PM   #8
Romulus

This thread is by no means exhausted...I take down and clean my 870s every month even if I haven't been at the range - takedown being so easy. Flood with CLP and wipe up the excess...

An aside: my Ithaca 87 is not so easy to take down, but I did so this weekend - a work of art that puts the 870 to shame, massive steel receiver, thick-walled beauty, every part milled, no comparison....
Old May 7, 2001, 12:48 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Darn it, Rom, there IS no comparison...

The 870 was the equivalent of the Volkwagen Beetle. A "People's" shotgun with stamped parts. It was devised to compete with the Model 12 and the 37 for smooth shucking and durability, but while using stamped parts and less handfitting.

The Ithaca is a wonderful piece of engineering and craftsmanship. The 870 is also, but is sold for prices way more folks can afford.
Old May 7, 2001, 01:29 PM   #10
Correia

I once stripped and gave a thourough cleaning to an 870 that hadn't been cleaned for 40+ years. Amazingly it still worked. Not that I recommend that by any means.
Old May 7, 2001, 06:51 PM   #11
Romulus

Sorry, Dave, you are right of course. It's just that I'm still sore about my new 870 Police...I wouldn't be on about it if it were as nice as my 10 year old Express...