The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2014, 11:36 AM   #1
madmo44mag

Help - Need Good Used Shotgun

I am not a shotgun person at all.
On occasion I do go shoot skeet and trap but not all that often.
Just like other firearms, people have the favorite makes and models.
I’m looking for a decent auto loading shotgun.
Here are my questions.
#1 Shooting trap and skeet what would be the preferred gauge?
#2 What choke style would be best suited?
#3 What brand and model of USED shotgun would you suggest?
#4 What makes / models to avoid?
Old September 9, 2014, 11:55 AM   #2
pete2

I'd suggest a used 1100 rem. 12ga since you mentioned trap. You need a skeet choke for skeet and a full choke for trap. This means you'll need one with choke tubes.
Old September 9, 2014, 12:15 PM   #3
JWT

Agree completely with Pete. The Remington 1100 would be a very good choice. There are lots of good used ones in 12ga with choke tubes available. Check GunBroker as a start.

The 1100 has been around for a long time. Very reliable. Soft recoil. Choke tubes readily available
Old September 9, 2014, 12:32 PM   #4
mxsailor803

I too agree with the 1100. You can get choke tubes from about 15 bucks up to 70 bucks. I'm a cheapskate and usually use the regular RemChoke or Carlson's chokes. Last time I checked, I think I have 5 choke tubes (full, modified, improved cylinder, extra turkey full, and rifled). For more budget minded, find a 1100 with a synthetic stock. That will drop a fair amount off the price.
Old September 9, 2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

Caveat: Older 1100 barrels have fixed chokes. If buying used, check that one takes screw in chokes.
Old September 9, 2014, 02:12 PM   #6
BigJimP

12ga is the most versatile...and even if you don't reload ...its easy to find 1 1/8 oz, 1 oz, or 7/8 oz loads commercially ...in velocities from 1150 fps - 1200 fps - and 1250 fps....
--------------
On semi-auto shotguns...you'll get the most gun for your money from the "gas guns" ....and Beretta has owned that market for the last 15 yrs or so ...and there are lots of them around in the 390 or 391 series...used.

Remington 1100's and 11-87's are old technology ...still serviceable / but not my favorites ( and make sure you get a gun with changeable screw in chokes).

Browning has some gas semi-autos ( not the Auto 5's) - but the Gold series used to be made in 12ga...and there are still a lot of them out there /in their current semi-autos the Silver series is a good gun - new or used.
----------------
I would recommend a gun with a 28" barrel ...but 30" barrels are also common for the clay target games these days.
--------------
Skeet ....a Skeet or maybe Improved Cylinder choke...but Skeet is preferred.

Trap - for 16 yd singles....a Modified choke is as tight as you need.
-------------
Shells with a load of 1 oz of 8's or 9's ...will work just fine on Skeet or Trap 16 yd singles.
Old September 10, 2014, 10:23 AM   #7
madmo44mag

Thanks guys.
This gives me a great starting point.
Old September 10, 2014, 02:52 PM   #8
Panfisher

Make sure you test fit first. I can shoot trap or skeet fairly well with an 1100 or heavier 11-87, however give me a beautiful sleek Beretta 391 and I will shoot over every one. I have to aim low to hit them, for me and my fit it just doesn't have enough drop. I certainly wouldn't turn away a good condition (mechanical condition, don't care about the cosmetics) used OU such as the Berettas or Browning assuming it fits you. 12 gauge all the way.
Old September 11, 2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Dreaming100Straight

Having to aim low to my understanding is how most like a gun to shoot for trap (shoots high). I believe the conventional wisdom is a more flat shooting gun is desirable for skeet, but at least one coach wants my gun set so high that bead is well below the target.
Old September 12, 2014, 05:26 AM   #10
Virginian

If you stick with a good used Remington 1100 or 11-87, Beretta 39* series, or Browning Gold or Silver you should be okay. I can't think of any others off the top of my head that have not had some problem children somewhere along the line. Whichever gun feels best to you is the one you should get. 12 gauge is best for starters; you do not have to shoot giant killer loads. A 28" barrel with a ventilated rib is good. If you find a good deal on and older 1100, you may be able to get choke tubes installed cheaper than buying a newer gun with tubes. I have had tubes installed in several guns and the results have been completely satisfactory. You can get a quality job for $104 including shipping and one choke tube.
Old September 14, 2014, 11:20 AM   #11
MarkCO

I absolutely love my Browning Golden Clays. They are not cheap, but if you want to splurge and get one of the best, see what you can find. The Maxus is what I guess replaced the Golden Clays, but they are not nearly as nice. When I take someone to the range to try out shotguns, I take about 6 or 7 models, and the Browning is waht almost everyone prefers. One of my good friends fiance had to have one after she tried mine out and he found her one in about a week of looking.

Winchester SX series, Beretts 39_ series, Remington 1100s are all decent serviceable shotguns for the Clay Target sports.

Get a 12 gauge! Get a set of chokes.