The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 30, 2014, 11:49 PM   #1
powderedtoastman

Remington Model 11 barrels...

So I have a Model 11, basically a Browning Auto-5. I'm wondering if the Japan made barrels which are suitable for steel shot and choke tubes are compatible with the Model 11?
Old July 31, 2014, 03:27 AM   #2
gyvel

Don't believe so. I don't think any parts interchange between the two makes, except possibly the recoil spring, and I'm not sure about that.
SIFE
Old September 17, 2014, 09:36 AM   #3
StarM30

Rem Mod 11 Barrel swap with Browning Auto 5

The Browning barrel will not fit the Model 11 Remington. The Browning has a left and right ejector on the bolt and a two-pronged ejector on the left side of the rear part of the barrel extension. There is a double groove cut into the left side of the bolt to accommodate the left ejector mechanism.

The Remington has only a right-side ejector on the bolt and a single grove cut into the left side of the bolt for the single-pronged ejector on the rear of the barrel extension.

Remington Modell 11 and Savage 720 parts will interchange for the most part except the some Savage bolts and barrels don't have a radiused shoulder above the ejector and on the breech of the barrel. I have used Savage bolts in my Remington's to replace cracked bolts.

The following Browning parts have fit in my Remington 11's: recoil spring, bronze friction ring, lower or second friction ring (steel), the action spring assembly (spring and plugs at both ends), 3-shot magazine limiter, and 2-piece shell carrier for easy loading (dropped into my 1945 and 1924 Mod 11s).

Browning screws are metric, Remington's are SAE standard. Stocks are different in the tang area. The forearms can be pretty easily adapted to either gun maker's model.

Hope this helps