The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Claims Rep.

Shooting slugs-what choke to use in an 1187???

So, what choke do I need to use to shoot slugs out of a Remington 1187? Also, is there such a thing as a slug choke?
Old December 2, 2010, 12:03 AM   #2
MD Redneck

Yes, as a matter of fact there is actually a rifled choke............ I'm too tired to look them up right now, but they are out there and pretty common as well

I would recommend using this type for slugs, as that is what it is designed for, but nothing tighter than I/C is recommended
Old December 2, 2010, 08:46 AM   #3
fxdrider

It also depends on the type of slug you're using. The rifled choke tubes are best with sabot-type slugs, while non-rifled tubes (Cyl., I/C or whatever) tend to work best with traditional slugs (Foster-type, Brenneke, etc.).
Old December 2, 2010, 09:21 AM   #4

Totally agree with fxdrider

He is absolutely correct about smooth bore versus rifled and the types of slugs used in each style barrel. I would like to add to what he's said. I remember years ago that Browning made a bolt action slug gun. The gun came with two types of barrels. One was fully rifled and the other was either rifled in the last few inches of the muzzle end or had a choke tube (don't quite remember...long time ago). Anyway, I was strongly considering a purchase of one and did a fair amount of research. I came across an article in a shooting magazine testing the gun. The author asked Browning why two barrels and they had stated the barrel with the rifling in the last few inches was the better of the two when they conducted their testing. However, as it often happens marketing of a product comes down to what the buying public will swallow and the buying public wanted fully rifled. So, what's the point? Your gun+sabot slugs+rifled choke tube= possible deer slaying machine.

My neighbor bought a 6" rifled choke tube for one of his pumps (don't remember which brand). Now the thing has a 30" barrel to start with and looks like a Kentucky long rifle with choke tube. Man that thing throws a nice slug though.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old December 2, 2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Claims Rep.

All,

Thanks for the info.

CR
Old December 3, 2010, 08:12 AM   #6
LSnSC

The Winchester foster slugs shoot very well out of my rifled barrel and tubes. Not quite as accurate as the BRI sabots but pretty close and a good bit cheaper. The barrel is a factory 870 barrel and the tube is a Carlson. Millet makes a good saddle style mount for the 870/1100/ 1187.