The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 5, 2014, 07:13 PM   #26
Pahoo

Not Navy ???

dstryr
Gees, for a minute there, you had me thinking you were a "Tin-Can" Sailor. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 5, 2014, 07:44 PM   #27
fastbolt

Ah, and here I thought that the collaboration of Murphy & Sapir still had some lingering fans from the early days.

I bought the first copy of the first book in '71, and collected them as they were released into the early 80's. I sold off all the original first printings for a tidy enough sum at a used bookstore, but it was nothing like they paid me for the first printings of the Gor series. The appraiser going through the boxes of books I'd brought actually lunged and grabbed for a phone when the Gor paperbacks were revealed, telling someone at another store (out-of-state) that they'd finally found some. When I asked why they weren't buying them to sell in that well known (locally) used book store, the person sheepishly said that their store didn't normally handle the high end customers willing to pay that much for some out-of-print/original paperbacks.

Guess I ought not to have got rid of my original 60's vintage Doc Savage paperbacks with the Bama cover art, either.

But the KISS album was your inspiration?? Uh, ok ...

At least your choice of Mopar Scat-Pack cars is interesting and nostalgic. My dad worked for Dodge in those days. I grew up driving them.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:10 PM   #28
dstryr

The album cover was just a visual, the name called out on the radio was the inspiration. Vanity plates like 2FAST on a Corvette aren't interesting or funny. JKLNHYD on a plate leaves me wondering if the owner thinks the car is JEKYLL, the mild mannered doctor, HYDE, the sinister alter ego.

Most people would think that DSTRYR on a 440 6bbl Road Runner, a Plymouth- (Dodge had the Scat Pack program and started the marketing for the 1970 model year) is bragging about horsepower and has connotations of racing. It could be that, but it could be a reference to a rock band, Remo Williams, or some other thing. The beauty of vanity plates is that you can say something that makes others think beyond the first impression. JEKYLL was on my GTO, HYDE on the RR, and the intent was to point out that one of the most famously promoted muscle cars is truly in the shadow of a 6bbl Road Runner, among the quickest street racers of the muscle car era.

SITNSPN is one my brother had on his 67 Firebird years ago. There was a childrens' toy from the 70s called Sit-n-Spin, and it is also a polite way of saying 'go screw yourself', and the car had more than enough power to literally sit and spin the tires to ash.

CRUSH on a Carousel Red GTO could say I'll race you and beat your pants off, or because Carousel Red is bright orange(crush), there is more to it than most people think. Stating the obvious is ridiculously boring, vanity is bragging, but creativity provokes thought by way of subtle humor and in some cases double entendre.

You've piqued my curiosity on Remo Williams. I'll be checking him out.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old March 5, 2014, 11:48 PM   #29
ClydeFrog

True story....

A recent media report documented how a local woman with a long history of traffic & moving violations was killed(ejected from the vehicle) in a bad traffic accident. She too had a vanity plate(that I can't repeat here due to profanity). The TV news reporters all quickly made a point of it too. It was a vulgar reference to her "need for speed".
Old March 6, 2014, 11:35 AM   #30
Madcap_Magician

I don't put anything on my car... no bumper stickers, no vanity plates, nothing except for parking tags for my employer and gym.

I did briefly have one of those family decals. Mine were two AT-ATs and an AT-ST instead of stick figures.
Old March 6, 2014, 02:10 PM   #31
fastbolt

Quote:
... Most people would think that DSTRYR on a 440 6bbl Road Runner, a Plymouth- (Dodge had the Scat Pack program and started the marketing for the 1970 model year) is bragging about horsepower and has connotations of racing.
Dodge started the Scat Pack, had the SuperBee, Dodge Girl, the Sheriff, etc ... but the Plymouth cars were often lumped in (as a courtesy) since they were Mopar relatives. The original Road Runner, Hemi 'Cuda & SuperBird were the most popular of the Plymouth muscle cars (with the Hemi 'Cuda being more popular, even as a limited production model, than the Charger 500 Hemi or Challenger T/A). The Daytona Charger always had the premier place of honor in the showrooms, though.

I remember when dad brought home a '70 Challenger R/T convertible 440 Six Pack, with that funky looking Hurst pistol grip shifter. He kept it as a demo for a while. I think it was initially brought in to be used as a pace car for a local race (but I wasn't particularly a racing fan). Fun car.

I still have a bunch of advertising stuff from that time period, including some of the 3D cards/promo of the new '70 Challenger, in Plum Crazy, featuring the Dodge Girl. I also have the folder of black & white promo material & pictures for the Charger III that Dodge sent around with the loan of their Mock-up car.

As Far as the Remo Williams, The Destroyer paperbacks? Fun stuff written in the 60's that didn't see print until the beginning of the 70's. Light-hearted spy/martial arts genre of the day. Not as dark as the James Munro spy novels featuring John Craig, martial arts-trained assassin for MI-6. He (the character) also thought the Walther PPk and S&W M36 were hard-hitting weapons. I think I remember a description of "like a brick thrown through a plate glass window", or something to that effect. The books ran from the middle to the end of the 60's (4 paperbacks), with the last one being released a couple years before my formal introduction to Shotokan (helped along by the Craig novels, among others).

It was the John Craig character's use of a Lamborghini Miura that made me first decide it was the greatest mid-engined sports car of all time. Even the De Tomaso Mangusta (US version) couldn't dim my desire for a Miura. The first & only time I was able to sit inside a Mangusta, I understood some car writer's comment about the low height of the top of the windshield ... something about "safety by Gillette".

For the gun stuff, I think it was Asset in Black that had the character use a Colt Commander with the then-new all-lead 230gr Scorpion Hydra-shok .45 ACP ammo, which was sold in red Ammo Wallets. I think I gave my last box (wallet) of it to my brother many, many years ago. I don't have the book anymore, but I've been thinking about finding & ordering a copy. Interesting mid-80's spy stuff written with a bit more of an interest in the firearms used, as I recall.
Old March 7, 2014, 12:45 AM   #32
groverdill

Ssssoooooooo...........now I'm thinking my "NRA" and "Ted Nugent for President" stickers might not be such a great idea.
Old March 7, 2014, 12:21 PM   #33
serf 'rett

Shoot!

I was all set to get...BRASSRAT on my new tags

Burst my bubble.
Old March 9, 2014, 06:49 AM   #34
dannyb

I learned a long time ago that bumper stickers can tempt the brainless to show how brave they are by attacking your helpless car. Happened to a friend. He was very political and had at least 5 bumper stickers supporting his causes. He got a brick with "Commie" printed on it through the back window (I told you it was years ago). I don't hesitate to speak my mind, but my car is just a stationary target when it's parked and I'm away from it.
Old March 9, 2014, 11:43 AM   #35
Cheapshooter

No advertisements to potential thieves on my vehicles. Vanity plates about guns, NRA member stickers, manufacturers logos, even cameo or archery logos.
No need to put a sign on my truck "Potential firearms treasure trove, criminals please break in"
Well beyond the small children "family" stage, but I don't think the cutesy stick family advertisements to the pervs, and child molesters out there is a good idea either!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 9, 2014, 02:11 PM   #36
James K
Member In Memoriam

Bad guys are bad, but sometimes those plates or stickers attract unwelcome attention from the cops. It is illegal to base a stop and search on a sticker or license plate (even plainly anti-police ones), but a lot of cops will do it anyhow, saying they thought they saw an occupant of the car with a gun, or some such excuse. And in some places, police have been so brainwashed against guns that the law doesn't matter to them any more than it does to their political bosses, so even an NRA sticker will be considered evidence of criminal behavior of some kind.

Jim
Old March 9, 2014, 03:26 PM   #37
Skans

Why not just put a bumper sticker on your car that says "FREE 45 INSIDE". I'd rather have one that says "BAN GNZ"

Ehhh, not really.
Old March 10, 2014, 11:46 AM   #38
Glenn E. Meyer

Ratcheting up police apprehension when dealing with you isn't a good thing. You can't expect police to be gun positive in attitude. We reported that if you are stopped for a minor infraction, police looked more negatively at you if you had heavier firepower in the car (an AR vs. something more benign).

A suggestion of violence gun sticker - bad idea. I heard of how police should respond to things like sovereign citizens (don't discuss that ideology, please) and that was a warning sign. I imagine a gun sticker that is out of the norm would not be good. You can sue afterwards (great plan but I prefer to avoid).

The TX law I've dealt with have all been very professional but that doesn't mean all will be.