The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 13, 2020, 04:05 PM   #26
dyl

Didn't read the entire thread to see what's been recommended or not.

For me, the metal 9mm full size pistols that I consider classics and will keep their value are the all metal Beretta 92FS (or any related 92 series), Sig P226, and CZ75b or later.

I have the P226R: aluminum frame, grips can be wider (if yours didn't come with E2 grips and appropriate mainspring) or narrower if it is new or install the E2 parts. The factory single action is nice. Really nice, nicer than a factory CZ75b, or factory SP-01. I installed a Short Reset Trigger and it makes a noticeable difference in reset if you care about that, but it's just for enjoyment, probably wouldn't affect shooting if you practice. Some go with a lighter hammer spring to decrease the DA pull weight as they are over-sprung for reliability worthy of military service. The stock 3 dot sights are pretty big / wide and I like that. **(edit to add detail on the trigger, since I realize I don't like it when someone says something is "nice" without explaining. In single action, there is a distinct wall of resistance. The trigger does barely move pulling across this wall but the release is very crisp in my particular pistol. I can't actually feel the trigger move right before it breaks, I can only see it if I watch it with my eyes. All in all it makes for a satisfyingly crisp single action break that may be stiffer than a 1911 trigger, but crisp. Double action pull is stiffer than the CZ SP-01 but shorter.)

I have a CZ SP-01 Tactical (decocker). Steel frame. The full length railed dust cover does add more weight up front. If I could do it again, I probably would go with the version with the safety. Decocker would be nice for carrying, but I have more suitable guns for carry. The Decocker verison means adding competition parts from CajunGunWorks is more complicated. Factory night sights are like standard Meprolight, a little small / narrow, but pretty standard. Trigger is nothing to write home about, a bit of creep in single action. But single action is relatively light, just not crisp. The reach to the trigger in Double Action is better when placed in half cock. (Sig P226 doesn't have half-cock) It's a rolling double action break, not a distinct wall. But I have a couple other pistols like that so I'm used to that. I got it out of nostalgia and the design, the first pistol I ever shot was a 75b which I hear swings/handles better, but has no rail. The SP-01 is a nice looking pistol, in my opinion. The full rail gives it a pitbull high tech look. Like it should shoot lasers or something.

I don't have a Beretta 92FS, only shot a few. Aluminum frame. Just beware that racking the slide may take some adjusting to avoid decocking or putting the pistol in safe, since it's right where your thumb or index finger might be. The Taurus PT92 would be a very similar version with a frame mounted safety, and one of their better made pistols. Just a bit of risk with Taurus customer service though. I can't comment about the trigger since it's been a while. The 92FS doesn't have a replaceable front sight, it's milled into the slide. You would want a 92A1 to have a dovetail in front to replace the front sight to your liking.

Last edited by dyl; September 13, 2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old September 13, 2020, 05:29 PM   #27
kymasabe

Well, I looked into the Taurus 92....but my concern is the trigger won't be improvable if needed. And. I cant replacevthe front sight with a fiber optic.
But...price is attractive.
Old September 13, 2020, 06:02 PM   #28
gbclarkson

Have you looked into:

SAR arms?,
EAA?,
Magnum Research baby eagles?,
HK USP?
Old September 13, 2020, 06:47 PM   #29
dyl

Is there anywhere you could rent a PT92? I kind of doubt a pawn shop or gun store would have any left in the Coronavirus panic, otherwise that would be the first place to look. Then you'd get a feel for what a worn in stock trigger would feel like.

I think my Sig P226R came in at... 580 online when it was on sale (it was a while ago, but with FFL fee in the low 600's) The CZ SP-01 was a little less, like mid 500's. I understand the attractiveness of the price of the Taurus.

I forgot to mention, before the Coronavirus, I also picked up a used/surplus Israeli Jericho 941 which is based on a small frame Tanfoglio (Italian version of the CZ75), for $300. Steel frame, same slide inside frame design. But replacement parts is a little less straightforward. It started as a single action only, and I forgot exactly what parts I purchased to convert it. It shares parts with a current production pistol, Tanfoglio Stock 2 or 3 I believe, sometimes used for competition. But aside from the conversion parts I didn't do anything else. Similar trigger feel but cheaper. If this pistol is just going to be for fun you could keep an eye out for one, but if someone is going to seriously train with it and use it for home defense, I'd factor in parts availability and non-existent customer support. It takes CZ-SP01 mags and I've swapped the slide stop between the two and it functions.

The magnum research baby eagles are pretty much the current production Jericho 941's, but likely slimmed down. The Jericho 941 was supposed to be able to change barrels and recoil spring to be able to shoot a 41 caliber projectile but the ammo never became popular. Some Baby Eagles are steel frame, some are polymer frame.
Old September 13, 2020, 07:52 PM   #30
Average Joe

SAR B6, it's a copy of a CZ75B at half the cost, gets good reviews too !
Old September 14, 2020, 04:55 AM   #31
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
SAR B6, it's a copy of a CZ75B at half the cost, gets good reviews too !
Looks like B6 is polymer framed. I'm looking for either alloy or steel framed.
Old September 14, 2020, 09:54 AM   #32
jackstrawIII

CZ SP-01 is an amazing gun. I had one until my friend shot it and begged me to sell it to him. Since i have other CZ's too, I sold it to him.

Biggest question is the format. If you like DA/SA guns, then you can't beat the SP01. It's amazing. Perfect for a range or home defense gun.

If you don't like DA/SA, then I'd look at the Sig P320 Legion. Great ergos, great trigger.
Old September 14, 2020, 11:30 PM   #33
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe:
...I'm thinking....CZ SP-01 Shadow, Beretta 92x Performance, or Sig P320 X-Five Legion...
My personal choice would be determined by a range shoot-out between the CZ and the Beretta.
Old September 15, 2020, 05:17 AM   #34
Tygus.Shooting

On a more economical note...

...you may want to consider a Ruger P93DC.

Not overly large, but built like a tank. Soaks up recoil incredibly well.

15-round magazine capacity, DA/SA with decocker, available blued or in stainless steel.
Old September 15, 2020, 09:07 AM   #35
wild cat mccane

Don't discount Tunnel Rat's comment.

DA/SA trigger (generally) do not match reset of the striker fired P99/PPQs or VP9. My P30L had a mile reset. My P-09 had a mile long reset. My PX4 G converted had a longish reset.

So while people talk a lot on gun forums of CZ, my CZ experience hasn't found a better trigger really than a stock PPQ/P99. My SP-01 Tactical had a worse double action and single action than my P99. The single action wasn't amazing in anyway.

That a simple $5 d spring in the 92 improves better than the Sig SRT? That's a comment to think about as the non SRT vs SRT models basic vs big upgrades (E2 grips, etc).

Nothing much heavier or bigger than the 92.

Can go on the cheap and get the Taurus PT92 though price differences have gone down as the 92 has decreased and the PT92 has increased.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; September 15, 2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old September 15, 2020, 09:17 AM   #36
TunnelRat

It’s not the D spring that changes the reset, it’s the Langdon trigger bar. Sorry if that wasn’t clear. The trigger bar is $67.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 15, 2020, 03:23 PM   #37
blchandl2

You could also look at the Arcus 98 DA. It is one of my most accurate handguns.
Old September 15, 2020, 04:43 PM   #38
wild cat mccane

I admit, I thought the D-spring was weight on the double action but didn't want to look

92s are too wide for my hand, but you really have to hate them not to find them attractive if you want heavy. Or just hate a slide mounted safety
Old September 15, 2020, 04:47 PM   #39
doofus47

I had a sig p6 that was a joy to shoot.
From that basis, i would recommend their 226.
Old September 15, 2020, 07:30 PM   #40
CUBAN REDNECK

The Ruger P89 would meet your criteria very nicely, if you can find one.
Old September 15, 2020, 08:15 PM   #41
doctor j

I am the original owner of an ancient Taurus PT99AF in 9mm. It has the safety on the frame. It's large and fills the hands well. It is not as heavy as it looks as the frame is aluminum. Of course, a full magazine adds some weight.

I shoot a little better with it than with my Hi-Power. Recoil with the PT99 is very manageable. The PT99 has been reliable.
Old September 15, 2020, 09:18 PM   #42
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
So, suggestions? recommendations ?
Yeah, the minute you finally make a decision, start stocking-up on mags. Don't put it off for later.
Old September 15, 2020, 09:29 PM   #43
TheFlash

I have/had several Beretta 92's. Excellent pistols and they never have a FTF/FTE. (Some may not like the slide mounted safety/decocker. But if you don't want the safety, the 92G decock only works well.)

Also a fan of the Sig226 - very accurate and very intuitive controls and function.
Old September 18, 2020, 06:10 PM   #44
ballardw

Big and Heavy to me says AR pattern pistol at which point why settle for something as puny as 9mm when you can have .223, .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8, ...

By the time you get to .458 SOCOM you can be launching bullets that weigh four times the typical 9mm.
Old September 18, 2020, 06:14 PM   #45
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlash View Post
I have/had several Beretta 92's. Excellent pistols and they never have a FTF/FTE. (Some may not like the slide mounted safety/decocker. But if you don't want the safety, the 92G decock only works well.)

Also a fan of the Sig226 - very accurate and very intuitive controls and function.
92X Performance is on my very short list of possible guns, and has the safety on the frame.
Old September 19, 2020, 11:36 AM   #46
Arrowhead37

I had a Taurus 92 that never gave a bit of trouble but the grip was slightly large for my short fingers and I traded it off. I have been shooting a 9 mm Taurus PT1911 for several years now without any problem what so ever and it is a heavy gun weighing two ounces more than my 45 acp versions. It has a very good trigger and nothing needed slicking up. I shoot a lot of lead reloads and haven't found any bullet shape it won't reliably handle.
Old September 20, 2020, 01:02 PM   #47
FM12

Get a S&W 5906 aand be done with it. Or the lighter 5904. You can thank me later, Ken
Old September 22, 2020, 12:42 AM   #48
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
Well, I looked into the Taurus 92....but my concern is the trigger won't be improvable if needed. And. I cant replacevthe front sight with a fiber optic.
But...price is attractive.
I bought a gently used Taurus PT92 FS today. I haven't shot it yet but the SA trigger is quite nice. I can't comment on the DA trigger as I don't use DA on anything.
Old September 22, 2020, 08:02 PM   #49
wmg1299

If money is a concern, some of the Turkish CZ clones (especially any made by Canik) are great options. Tri-Star has a line of CZ-75 clones that are very reasonably priced, when you can find them. Girsan is another Turkish brand that gets good reviews and has a line of Beretta 92 clones. If you are a fan of the Beretta brand, one of the Px4 Storm line might fill the same niche as the 92, but for a lower price tag.
Old September 23, 2020, 06:36 PM   #50
joneric70

I’ll throw my two cents in with the recommendation for a Beretta 92FS.
I’ve gussied mine up with the LTT TJIAB, WC fluted guide rod & flatwire recoil spring, and the G-series decocker. It’s one of my favorites, and gets carried regularly. Absolute tack-driver!
"No no no, I went the other road. Six figures, doing business with leadpipe cruelty, mercenary sensibility. You know... sports, sex, no real relationships. How about you - how have the years been treating you?"