The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 14, 2014, 10:16 AM   #1
TacticalJackal

Accurizing Smith and Wesson MP15 Sporter?

Earlier this year I picked up Smith and Wesson's MP15 sport, and I flipping love it. Currently, I have it set up with a Bushnell TRS25 red dot and a MOE fore end with a MOE VG and a flashlight.

I'm considering stripping the red dot, flashlight and VG in favor of a 3-9x42 optic.

Does any body have any experience with how accurate these guns are at 100 yards with an optic? I would like to convert this platform into a SPR style rifle if I can. I figured it isn't the WORST candidate, but I also have my reservations with such an inexpensive gun.

Thoughts? Is it worth throwing an optic on it? Or should I start checking dedicated SPR uppers?
Old June 14, 2014, 10:22 AM   #2
jeager106

I have 4 AR rifles in 5.56 (.223) caliber & with prefered handloads I can
achieve groups of 5 shots at 100 yards of 0.5 inch on a good day.
Mine all have Nikon Buckmaster 6 X 18 with A.O. glass mounted.
The rifle is a good candidate for a good optic.
My sons DPMS M-4 type has a 16" barrel and with handloads I get 0.5 inch groups at 100 with the shorty tube, and that with a Burris 3X glass.
Old June 14, 2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalJackal
Thoughts? Is it worth throwing an optic on it? Or should I start checking dedicated SPR uppers?
I have a friend who bought a S&W M&P-15 Sport as a cheap truck gun. He was surprised with its accuracy, so he decided to see what it was fully capable of. He free-floated it and threw on a Nightforce scope he had, and he said it was just as accurate as his Larues.

However, my friend bought his Sport back in 2012 when they still came with a 1:8 5R barrel. Back in early 2013, S&W started shipping the Sport model with a regular 1:9 barrel and (as far as I know) never went back to the 1:8 5R barrels. In theory, a barrel with 5R rifling will be more accurate than a barrel with traditional rifling, but in practice it probably doesn't make that much difference.