The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 17, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Coach Z

5.56 supressor - too many choices???

So I've been fully bitten by the class 3 bug and now want a 5.56 suppressor to go on my soon to be SBR. Anyone have on in particular they like? I'm leaning towards the surefire brand one but it's REALLY pricy...
Old August 17, 2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

My dealer uses a Gemtech G5 on his HK 33. The attachment is super fast.

A friend of mine has a AAC M4-2000 on his 10.5" SBR. It takes a few seconds longer to attach but the 51 tooth mount seems pretty solid.

I went with a AAC Mini-4 and am already thinking about a SDN-6.

Never had the chance to play with a Surefire.

In my humble opinion, with all the top end cans it comes down to preferred mounting system and brand loyalty for most folks.
Old August 17, 2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Coach Z

Good point on the mounting

I hadn't really thought too much about the mounting systems, was really only looking at the cans themselves. One more thing to add to the flow chart!
Old August 17, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Theohazard

The advantages of a Surefire are a rock-solid mount, less point-of-impact shift, and less gas blowback. The disadvantage is they aren't quite as quiet as a suppressor like the AAC M4-2000 and they cost a LOT.

The military likes Surefire because of the lower back-pressure and smaller PoI shift, but some people prefer other brands like AAC for maximum quietness. If I were in the market for a 5.56 can I'd buy the M4-2000 or the Silencerco Saker.

But when I bought my last rifle can I got an AAC SDN-6. Even though I don't even have a .30 cal rifle at the moment, I got it for maximum versatility in the future. I've heard a lot of people who can't afford a bunch of cans talk about how they regret getting a 5.56 can and wish they got a 7.62 can instead.
Old August 17, 2013, 11:26 PM   #5
NESHOOTER

Can

This is what is more adaptable to several rifles, all is needed is extra flashhiders and put it on. I use a .30 on all my rifles .30 or smaller, and could down to .22 but use a .224 can on them. As long as your barrel could support a flashhider your in business.

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=306
Old August 18, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Willie Lowman

Just don't plan on shooting .22 rimfire through your centerfire can.
Old August 18, 2013, 11:57 AM   #7
NESHOOTER

Quote:
Just don't plan on shooting .22 rimfire through your centerfire can.
Why would that be willie? I shoot my 5.56 can with the .22 target with bull barrel all the time, have you come across a problem. When I shoot the .22 I find no more buildup than 5.56 as I use a sonic cleaner on it after use not rusting nor any of problems one may think he would run across. Now you should never use a rimfire can on a centerfire rifle as the pressures are completely different.
Old August 18, 2013, 01:07 PM   #8
Theohazard

Most 5.56 cans are sealed, meaning you can't take them apart. You don't need to clean a center-fire rifle can and they work better if they're sealed and can't be disassembled. The pressure is high enough that almost all the carbon fouling is blown right out of the can, and the thin layer that remains helps protect the baffles from heat and pressure and makes the can last longer, but this thin layer of carbon never gets too thick because of the huge amount of pressure going through the can with every shot.

But if you shoot .22 through it, the lead will build up and be almost impossible to remove. Eventually it will get thick enough to affect performance. Even with an ultrasonic cleaner, it's almost impossible to remove the lead from inside a sealed can. If you manage to do it, that's awesome. But most people can't and that's why most people shouldn't shoot .22 out of their rifle cans.
Old August 18, 2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I use a sonic cleaner on it after use
Most people don't have those things. Most folks also don't realize how much lead and powder residue will build up in a can after 1000 rounds of .22.
Old August 18, 2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman
Most folks also don't realize how much lead and powder residue will build up in a can after 1000 rounds of .22.
This. This times a thousand. Just take apart a .22 can after it has only a few hundred rounds through it, see all the powdered lead that showers off onto the floor, then see all the lead and carbon built up on the baffles, and you won't want to shoot .22 out of a sealed center-fire suppressor anymore.

Unlike center-fire rifle rounds, a .22 doesn't make enough pressure to push the carbon fouling out of the end of the suppressor. And .22 rounds are VERY dirty: Between the extra carbon fouling and the lead fouling that all .22 rounds - even copper plated ones - leave behind, I'd be very surprised if anything other than the highly toxic dip solution (half white vinegar and half hydrogen peroxide; it dissolves lead into highly toxic lead acetate) will get all of that fouling out of a sealed can.
Old August 18, 2013, 10:14 PM   #11
NESHOOTER

Thanks willie, I guess that as I acquire items I also increase the items needed to maintain them. thanks for the reply.
Old August 19, 2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

How dirty .22 makes a suppressor

Here is a pic I borrowed from another forum. It shows a mk-I Spectre's baffle stack after 500+ rounds of ammo. If your can is sealed so you can't get that stuff out, I wouldn't put it in there in the first place.

Old August 19, 2013, 02:32 PM   #13
Massan

First you need to ask yourself how much your willing to spend.

I got a Mk2K for my SBR and am pretty happy with it. Minimal POI shift, quiet, sturdy mount and not overly expensive. If I had more money/patience, I may have gotten one of the newer SOCOM suppressors from Surefire since POI shift is more important to me(and less back pressure) than decible reduction(last consumer testing showed AAC to be quieter). Course theres also plenty of other companies out there that are pretty reputable such as Silencerco and Gemtech.
Old August 19, 2013, 05:29 PM   #14
tmorone

I've got an M4-2000 and SDN-6 (purchased in that order) and love them both. For what it's worth, I'd get the SDN-6 if I were you. It will shoot .308 and down and is much more versatile than the M42k. It's really, really, really, reaaaally painful to wait for a .308 can and kick yourself for buying the .223 one first.

And, you may think to yourself- "I don't have any need to suppress anything in .308." You don't yet, but you will. Trust me. Buying and using silencers is like drugs.

I have also heard that the Saker's are fantastic and can be adapted to multiple types of mounts, unlike Surefire and AAC. Next up for me will be either a Saker just to try it out, or one of those 'mini' cans from Surefire or AAC- probably AAC since I've got hundreds sunk into their 51t mounts.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Coach Z

Willie I won't be shooting any .22lr out of the centerfire cans thankfully I already have a sparrow for that. And I agree I was SHOCKED the first time I shot the sparrow and then pulled it apart. The design of the sparrow seems down right necessary. I can't imagine trying to puund k baffles out of a tube after a thousand rounds.

I also have a silencerco 9mm osprey that I'm waiting on the stamp for so I certainly like the idea of sticking with a brand that I really like and getting the saker.
Old August 19, 2013, 09:22 PM   #16
tmorone

I have a couple Silencerco cans also, they're top notch.

There's YouTube videos that show the Saker being adapted to different mounts, imho that's one of the biggest selling points.
Old August 20, 2013, 10:22 AM   #17
Rikakiah

I'm sort of in the same boat for my 5.56 AR (except finances are still a few weeks out, if I decide to go through with one now). However, I'm also planning on an SBR .300BLK in the future so thinking on just getting one suppressor for both to save money.

However, I've heard the heavier .30 cans can really change your POI on the thinner 5.56 barrels (especially the lightweight versions). So, you'll probably want a titanium can to get the lightest one possible to minimize this. I'm actually looking at the Gemtech Sandstorm to fill my need. My SBR plan puts the mount inside the rail system, so I need a thread-on mount, which takes the myriad of mount options out of my decision quagmire.
Old September 5, 2013, 03:17 PM   #18
HopeandChange

I liked it when the choices were M4-1000 or M4-2000.

Now there's cans out there I've never heard of.
Old September 5, 2013, 04:23 PM   #19
ripnbst

I like Silencer Co products. Their modular design really appeals to me as easy to clean and if you shoot it to the point that you wear it out you can buy replacement parts without having to deal with NFA Class III garbage all over again.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:59 AM   #20
Theohazard

Yeah, the M4-2000 is still one of the quietest 5.56 cans on the market, but I'd get a Silencerco Saker if I could afford another can right now. The M4-2000 is slightly quieter, but the Saker has a more durable first-blast-baffle design and it's made out of some space-age metal that's supposed to be even more durable than inconel. Also, the fact that you can switch out the bottom part of the Saker to accept other mounting options is a huge selling point for me.

Currently you can get a mount (they call it a MAAD mount) that fits their proprietary Trifecta flash hider, one that fits any of AAC's 51T muzzle devices, one that fits YHM's Y-mount, and one that's a 1/2x28 direct-thread mount, and there are sure to be more to follow. And after mounting one on my rifle I can tell you that the 51T MAAD mount goes on an AAC 51T muzzle device easier than any AAC can and also with zero play; all AAC cans have a little bit of rotational play when installed.

Don't get me wrong; I still love the AAC SDN-6 and I think it's the best all-around rifle can on the market, especially if you're running subsonic 300 Blackout. But for a dedicated 5.56 can I really think the Saker is the one to get.
Old December 31, 2013, 12:24 PM   #21
GoingQuiet

Class 3 is a tax bracket, not a bug or something you can buy

My best seller is the AAC m4-2000, Saker/SPECWAR are good as well as the G5