The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 27, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Doug Ridley

Ruger lcr .22 lr

Been reading about this thing and am interested as a cheap (ammo) practice pistol for my and my wife's S&W 642s. However I have read a coupla' horrendous reviews on them as well as some good reviews. If you have actually shot this gun tell me about the trigger pull and anything else you can think of.
Old June 27, 2013, 03:52 PM   #2
9mm

7.5lbs of sweet smoothness, buy it and never look back
Old June 27, 2013, 05:28 PM   #3
superspirit

I have the LCR's in 22WMR and 357 mag, both awesome with great triggers.
Old June 28, 2013, 12:02 AM   #4
9mmfan

I have an LCR in .22, and like it a great deal. I got it to become a better shot with snubbies and DA revolvers in general. Had I bought it first, I might have gotten one in .38 instead of my 642. I like my Smith & Wessons, but the trigger on the Ruger is very nice.
My only beef is that I frequently have to knock the ejector rod against the bench to get the empties out. 'Course I had a 17-4 for a bit that you had to poke the empties out from the front one at a time.
Old June 28, 2013, 12:20 AM   #5
Old_Dog

I had it and sold it. It shoots with little recoil. I sold it because with hot .22's like CCI mini Mags, the cases would expand and move out of the cylinder and jam the gun. It did it too many times for comfort. It did shoot the cheap stuff without jamming though. I do not keep guns that cannot perform with ammo of my choice. I do not own a gun that cannot be used in some self defense capacity. Just me though.

I would look at the .22 mag version. Still cheaper than a 9mm and with the new self defense ammo out there, a viable self defense gun although at the bottom of the ladder. Recoil a little more but quite honestly I do not enjoy shooting any .22's as I like a little more recoil in my gun to enjoy shooting it. Then again I shoot a snub nosed .454 Casull for fun and carry an 11 oz. .357 magnum.

I can see a .22 for plinking but not in a snub nose. I know that Ruger says it is for practice so that you shoot the bigger LCR better but they know very well that a large percentage of gun owners use a .22 for defense regardless of what is said about them. Ask any LEO. Personally I do not see how a .22 can help you practice for shooting a .38 or .357. Without recoil it is just not the same. I know that many say practice with a .22 but the military does not nor does Law enforcement. It may be the smart way to learn target shooting but not so much for self defense shooting. Recoil is a major factor in handling a gun.
Old June 28, 2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Obambulate

I also had one and sold it. There were no issues with it, perfect extraction with all ammo, etc. I just didn't like the trigger and never warmed up to the gun.
Old June 28, 2013, 02:02 PM   #7
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Dog
Recoil is a major factor in handling a gun.
This is true. However, using the .22 allows for more focus on trigger control and sight alignment, at a cheaper cost with less fatigue. Dry firing does the same thing even more cheaply I suppose, but why quibble over small details.

I would always shoot the .38 afterwards, and did in fact notice improvement. Whether this was because I was simply "warmed up" is a possibility, but I don't know for sure. More research required!
Old June 28, 2013, 04:08 PM   #8
aarondhgraham

Have you considered,,,

Have you considered a S&W Model 43 C?

Since it is a J-frame S&W like your wife's 642s,,,
It would be a perfect rimfire understudy.

Nothing wrong with the Ruger,,,
I've fired one several times and it's nice,,,
But I have also fired a 42 C and really liked it a lot better.

Just tossing that out there.

Aarond

P.S. I agree with your thinking of having a rimfire understudy to a centerfire handgun,,,
I'm a pretty decent shot with both my snubbie and 3" model 36 revolvers,,,
I attribute that to a lot of cheap practice with the Model 34 rimfire.

I believe one must shoot both guns though,,,
Typically I will shoot 50 rimfires,,,
Then 5 or 10 centerfires,,,
Repeat many times.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 29, 2013, 08:58 AM   #9
22-rimfire

I like the LCR in 22. I would like it better if it had a hammer. I have stiff extraction issues sometimes that may be ammo related versus the gun. Haven't shot it in a couple months.

I haven't been shooting much of anything for the last couple of months.
Old June 29, 2013, 10:04 AM   #10
weblance

I have the LCR-22 and the KLCR-357. My wife has put thousands of rounds through the 22 and its held up very well. The trigger is a little stiffer than the 357, but thats expected for a rimfire. Its very accurate at 10 yards, and a fun little plinker. Sometimes a little more effort is required to extract spent cases, but nothing that cant be handled. I think its a great little revolver, and expect many years of service from it.
Old June 29, 2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Doug Ridley

Pulled the trigger on the LCR today and will be taking it to the range Monday. Will post my opinion then.
Old July 25, 2013, 02:43 PM   #12
Doug Ridley

Put 50 rounds through it Mon. flawlessly. Sweet!
Old July 25, 2013, 03:15 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

Ruger LCR .22WMG, Gunblast.com .....

You can pick up a new Ruger LCR .22WMG(.22 Winchester magnum).
Good ole boy; Gunblast.com T&Eed a Ruger LCR .22WMG on his Youtube channel & gave it high praise, .
Ruger as a .22LR LCR too, but Id look at the .22 Winchester Magnum. You or your spouse can tote the .22 LCR wheelgun as a BUG.
www.ruger.com
Old July 26, 2013, 03:16 PM   #14
bikerbill

I've got one in .22mag and love it, tho the trigger has a slightly gritty feel ... trigger's not terribly heavy, given that rimfires need a stronger strike to touch them off ... I love mine, using a belt holster I had for a j-frame I sold a while back ... assuming the trigger will smooth out over time ...
Old July 27, 2013, 09:42 PM   #15
camsdaddy

I have wanted one since they were released. I have been talking with a guy trying to work out a trade for a Glock I have. If we can ever get past the 3hrs of travel I will own it. I really like 22. I shoot them well. I think it will help me shoot my J frame as well as my K frame snubs better. I also wouldnt be afraid to throw it in my pocket as a back up to my Glock 26. Be fun to have a plinker I could afford to shoot and be able to dump a cylinder well enough to feel comfortable carrying it.
Old August 2, 2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Johnnymurad

I have the lcr in .22 and in .357. I love it. It has been 100% reliable, after 250-500 rounds the cases do get a little hard to eject but I think thats just the nature of the dirty cartridge. I shoot the cheapest crap I can find through mine and can shoot it as well as I can point at 25 ft.

Jon
Old August 2, 2013, 04:14 PM   #17
Johnnymurad

Here is a video of mine running at the range:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9pKR15uzIc
Old August 4, 2013, 07:36 PM   #18
txray22

I would like to own a LCR .22. I'm thinking about trading my SR22 in on one.

Phil
Old August 4, 2013, 08:59 PM   #19
berettaprofessor

Had one, hated it, sold it. The trigger was somewhere from the Pleistocene, couldn't hold it on target for the crappy trigger.

Mind you, I've only sold two guns of all the ones I've bought. The LCR 22 because I didn't like it and I've never once regretted selling it. A Bersa 380 because I couldn't justify keeping it since I've got Beretta 380's. And that one I still wish I hadn't sold.
Old August 4, 2013, 10:58 PM   #20
TennJed

I have one just for a fun plinker. The trigger pull is good and smooth for a DA 22lr (all of which in my experience are typically a little stouter than their centerfire counterparts)
Old August 5, 2013, 09:42 AM   #21
skidder

I sent in two defective 22 LCRs to Ruger. The 3rd go around I asked for an SP and Ruger was kind enough to fulfill my request.

I wanted to like the gun, but I just couldn't get one that worked. I've had bad luck with Ruger this year. Just sent in a brand new defective GP .
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old August 6, 2013, 07:05 AM   #22
oldhunter

Bought one several months ago and found the trigger to be more difficult than expected. Rather than selling or trading this, I bought a LaserMax laser for under a hundred dollars and began much dry firing to get used to the gun as well as soften up the trigger pull. Using the laser will show you if the harder pull is moving the sights off the target and train you to control the pull. Now I can hit just about everything I shoot at up to 20 yards both with open sights or using the laser. All types or ammo have been used with success although it does prefer CCI a bit. The laser can be removed and placed on all other LCR's as it is interchangeable with .38, .357 or .22 mag. Great little gun.
Old August 21, 2013, 06:09 PM   #23
txray22

I just took my new LCR .22lr to the range today. It's great. I might pull some old stuff out and see if I can trade for a LCR .38 or .357. Then I would have an understudy.

Phil
Old August 21, 2013, 07:58 PM   #24
Obambulate

I traded my LCR-22 for a S&W Model 67 and never looked back.