The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 1, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1
jdscholer

I've Adopted a Nazi! Reconstruction Needed.

I haven't been spending much time around here lately, (no real reason), but I've aquired a rifle that might get a little interest and hopefully advice from some of Y'all.

It's a 1943, K-98, bring-back. Numbers on everything are matching, but as you can see, the fore-stock has been amputated and I'm missing the front barrel band and bayonet lug -- and cleaning rod.

Whoever cut the stock simply used a knife, and made no effort to smooth the job. Aside from that, the old girl cleaned up pretty nicely, and function is perfect. The bore is nothing to brag about, but I scrubbed the heck out of it with PB Blaster and a stainless brush. (I know, somaya probly think that's crazy, but I disagree)

Instead of buying shells, I bought a few things needed to reload for it, and after cranking out a fairly gentle basic load, we went to my excuse for a range.

My "rock solid" shooting bench.

This first target was at fifty yards, and the group measured 2 3/4".

This next one was shot at 100 yds., and six shots measured 3 3/4".

I frankly don't know if I can do much better than that with these particular open sights, and after reading a thread further down on this page, it doesn't seem that most other folks do either. If anything, the bore looks better after shooting, and I think I've blasted quite a bit of the rust out of it.

I'd love to do a stock fix on this gun, and save this stock which is numbered with the rest of the rifle, but if that doesn't work out, I'm in the market for a complete stock replacement. I'd love to hear any coments/advice from folks who are mo-expert than me in the Mauser department. jd
Old September 1, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
tater134

Nice find! Since the stock and the rest of the rifle is matching it is definitely worth saving. I would try to find a junk Mauser stock to cut the forend off of and splice it under the rear barrel band the same way you would repair a duffle cut rifle.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:18 PM   #3
TX Hunter

Nice Rifle, looks like it shoots pretty good too.
Old September 2, 2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Ignition Override

You might find lots of seasoned Mauser owners at both "Gunboards" and "Surplusrifle".
There should also be a website which is about Mauser rifles.
Old September 2, 2012, 01:31 AM   #5
warningshot

That looks just like the rifle they got Tom Hanks with! Might that be a 'HollyWood' bring back?
Old September 2, 2012, 10:05 AM   #6
jdscholer

Quote:
I would try to find a junk Mauser stock to cut the forend off of and splice it under the rear barrel band the same way you would repair a duffle cut rifle.
Yeah, I think that's pretty much the plan for now. What's left of this stock is pretty nice compared to what I might find, and if I do a good job on the fix it will be a pretty nice rifle.
Old September 4, 2012, 08:38 AM   #7
jsmaye

Quote:
I'm missing the front barrel band and bayonet lug -- and cleaning rod.
And the front site hood.

If it weren't for the matching numbers I'd think this was a Russian capture...
Old September 4, 2012, 10:20 AM   #8
Jim Watson

Agree with tater, a replacement foreend tip and front band would preserve the matching numbers. And it would just look like one with a "barracks bag cut" made on a lot of souvenir rifles.
Old September 4, 2012, 06:07 PM   #9
wpsdlrg

Looks like a keeper to me. Refurbish the stock or go ahead and make a sporter out of it - your choice. Improved sights will likely tighten those groups, especially if you carefully worked up loads for it.

Whatever you choose to do about the stock, DO check the fit of the action in it. Often, accuracy improvements can be made simply by adding a shim between the recoil shoulder on the receiver (bottom) and the stock crossbolt. Many of these rifles have NO contact between the two, which is never good for accuracy....and tends to promote stock splitting (as all the recoil forces go into the tang area, in that circumstance). Glass-bedding the action (though NOT to be done if keeping the rifle all original) can make a BIG difference as well.
Old September 5, 2012, 12:07 AM   #10
jdscholer

I've done a little more work on this rifle since I posted. Basically it needed a system (besides black tape) to hold the barrel band and hand guard in place.

I went ahead and cut the stock back at the barrel band, and made a steel cap that fastens on the end with a screw that threads into an aluminum lug that I implanted in the cleaning rod tunnel. It works great, and after a little finish shaping, I'll put up a few pics.

This project is all reversable if and when I find a suitable forend replacement, but for now allows me to shoot and handle the rifle and use a sling without the forend falling apart. jd
Old September 5, 2012, 11:23 PM   #11
kilimanjaro

I've got two Mauser K98 stocks, no handguards, with the metal.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:40 PM   #12
jdscholer

Quote:
I've got two Mauser K98 stocks, no handguards, with the metal.
Hmmm.. I wonder if we should be talkin, you and me...

Are either of them period correct for my rifle? Are you interested in wheeling, dealing, trading? Shoot me a PM if so. Thanx. jd
Old September 7, 2012, 02:08 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

Great looking rifle and a fun project! Congrats! Be patient and you'll find what you need to put this back together again!

My father-in-law was in the 34th Division during the war - N. Africa, Italy, Germany - had a pretty rough time. He wouldn't talk much about it but he did tell me that he brought one of these home with him. He evidently sold it to a co-worker in the DNR who "sporterized" it and hunted with it for many years, taking quite a few whitetails with it. He sold it years before my wife and I started going together. I wish I had that rifle now - sporterized or not - just for the sentimental value of it.

Good luck with your project and I hope you'll show some photos of it once you get it back to original shape. Thanks for sharing!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63