The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Blue

LCR SD Loads (38 Special)

My first thought would be to use # 4009 Speer GDHP SB (110 gr) for this.

I've never loaded anything for such a short barrel and am going to need to do some testing to find a load that works well.

For non MAG pistol I gravitate to Unique, Bullseye, and 231 which I have in good supply.

I'm thinking it would be good to start with book loads in the 800 fps velocity range.

I am looking for some pointers on this one from those of you who have developed loads for this that you find acceptable.

My wife wants to use this for her CCW. I have also heard or read (somewhere - reference Ayoob - not sure where I read it though)) that you should never use reloaded ammo for SD. Any comments on this one? I have had significantly more FTFs with factory ammo than mine and wonder what the basis for the comments is. I use the 45ACP (my loads put the medicine where the pain is) for SD and have 100% confidence in them. Just been wanting to ask this for a while. Wife's current carry is PPK but she really likes the LCR. Been using factory loads to date in the LCR - but I like to see if there is something better for her.

Thanks,

Blue
Old September 28, 2009, 01:39 PM   #2
JJE

Anybody who shoots a bad guy and ends up in trouble because they used handloads either incriminated themself or has a poor excuse for an attorney. So, if you plan on saying anything to the police after the shooting or using an incompetent lawyer, stick to factory ammo. Actually, if you plan on doing those things, you probably shouldn't be handling firearms.

As far as the 110 gr Gold Dot goes: this is probably the best choice in a jacketed, standard-pressure 38 Spl load (if you want to use 158 gr lead, that's OK with me, I just prefer jacketed). I load the 110 at max for standard pressure using 231 (no data handy) and it is controllable and not too flashy. Once I get more experience with my 642, I may bump the load into +P territory if it stays controllable and the flash isn't too bad. However, for a true +P load, Speer recommends the 135 gr Gold Dot rather than the 110. I load the 135 gr Gold Dot for my 3" SP101.

Tips: Speer recommends a firm crimp on big cases that are mostly full of air (like 38 Spl) for consistent ignition/combustion, so I use a full turn with a Lee factory crimp die. Other than that, there is nothing tricky about loading this bullet. Speer 14 has data for both the 110 and 135 gr Gold Dots.

California Rifle & Pistol Association, SAF and NRA Life Member
Old September 28, 2009, 09:07 PM   #3
SQUAREKNOT

If you get into a situation that requires shooting the bad guy it will not matter at all if you used factory or handloads. This has been researched and there has never been a case that that made any difference.
So-I personally do not use the Speer .38 135 gr for SD. I did buy a box of the 125gr and they were pretty weak. (the 135 grs are much hotter in a 2" barrel)
I studied the available information and decided that a 158gr LSWC cast bullet to be the best choice. Jacketed bullets in a .38 spl at max load are
SLOWER than a like weighted cast bullets. From the top of my head-the 158gr LSWC is 27% heavier and 100 to 150fps faster than 125gr JHP.
I liken it drilling 3/8" holes 14" to 20" deep in a bad guy. They leave a mark and drive deep. If you don't believe it try some of both.
Old September 28, 2009, 09:22 PM   #4
zxcvbob

I use Magnus bullet #515 (swaged 158 grain lead hollow point) with 4.6 grains of Unique. This is for a 4" service revolver. If I was loading for a snubbie, I might use Bullseye or try to find another medium-fast powder with a flash suppressant.