The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 8, 2000, 11:24 AM   #1
deanf

I have a SW 6906, about 7 years old. The single action trigger is very heavy. Feels like throwing a stiff toggle switch. It's always been that way and I've never been motivated to change it.

I just ordered an armorer course video for the gun and think I might be up to trying to polish what ever parts might need to be polished to improve the SA trigger and action in general.

I've never done this kind of work before. I've never taken apart any gun past the point of a field strip for routine cleaning. Any recommendations?
Old January 8, 2000, 02:01 PM   #2
D.Ed

Before I did any thing I would clean out the trigger mechanism with gunscrubber or brakeclean,blow it out with compressed air and lube it up with Slick 50 One Lube. My 411 had a very stiff single action pull and after the above procedure it's smooth as silk.

[This message has been edited by D.Ed (edited January 08, 2000).]
Old January 8, 2000, 02:26 PM   #3
John Lawson

Excellent advice! Don't forget to apply a suitable lubricant before trying it after cleaning; you don't want steel to steel contact without a lubricating layer.
ALWAYS try twice and cut ONCE. It is easier to find if you have a problem BEFORE you remove metal. (Diagnosis.)
Old January 8, 2000, 04:30 PM   #4
deanf

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on removing any metal, even if I can't get the results I want just with polishing. Any metal removal will be done by a 'smith.

I will try the cleaning first.