The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 23, 2012, 07:38 AM   #26
glockman55

Wow!! you guys are scaring me.. lets see some pics of these fine looking weapons..
Old September 23, 2012, 09:12 AM   #27
Amsdorf

I like to slather peanut butter on my pistol grips, helps keep my hand on them, plus makes for a tasty treat when I'm finished.
Old September 23, 2012, 12:46 PM   #28
drail

You do realize that when people started cutting checkering into wood and metal it wasn't just for looks, right?
Old September 24, 2012, 12:18 AM   #29
cpallen

not to be confused with checkering

You can put a few strategically placed incisions on the inner tube to give it a little more texture. Did this on my P290 grip which was too rough, but the innertube seemed too slick. a few slashes was all it took.

Then I put hand-alls on both the P290 and the P2k.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:44 AM   #30
Dashunde

Inner tubes, grip tape, Hogue, etc... I gotta say... all of it is "ghetto" and absolutely hideous from every angle. Yuk!

For me, if that stuff is needed, then its the wrong gun from the start.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:16 AM   #31
drail

Agreed. If a manufacturer's design is so poor that you can't hold on to it without having to put an inner tube over the grip then that manufacturer is seriously out of touch with what constitutes a good design vs. a poor one. And there would seem to be a lot of that around today.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:23 AM   #32
TunnelRat

Quote:
Inner tubes, grip tape, Hogue, etc... I gotta say... all of it is "ghetto" and absolutely hideous from every angle. Yuk!

For me, if that stuff is needed, then its the wrong gun from the start.
Quote:
Agreed. If a manufacturer's design is so poor that you can't hold on to it without having to put an inner tube over the grip then that manufacturer is seriously out of touch with what constitutes a good design vs. a poor one. And there would seem to be a lot of that around today.

What does it matter to you what other people decide to put on their guns? Honestly. Some people just like extra grip.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 24, 2012, 09:47 AM   #33
Dashunde

Quote:
What does it matter to you what other people decide to put on their guns?
Its one of those "friends dont let friends do.. whatever" kind of things, but if you insist... have at it, nasty up your gun however you like.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:22 AM   #34
bedbugbilly

Personally . . . I prefer to stretch a good condom over mine . . . that way you'll always be prepared . . . in more than one way . . . plus, if you don't cut it to fit, you can always carry extra rounds in what's left over . . .

done that way . it's not considered "ghetto" or "redneck" . . . . it's more of a responsible type "Planned Parenthood Pistol" . . . . I'm sure it must be endorsed by a variety of government health agencies?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 24, 2012, 02:53 PM   #35
ShipWreck

I use a 16" bicycle tire tube from Wal-Mart. I have them on both of my Shields. I previously used this on a few doublestack Berettas, and some other doublestack 9mms. Nary a problem. Easy to install.

Old September 24, 2012, 06:59 PM   #36
Seven High

I use multiple rubber bands wrapped around the grip. They work very well and are very cheap.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:01 AM   #37
Gerry

Quote:
Personally . . . I prefer to stretch a good condom over mine . . . that way you'll always be prepared . . . in more than one way . . . plus, if you don't cut it to fit, you can always carry extra rounds in what's left over . . .
I think that's a wonderful idea. You could use the glow-in-the-dark kind and never have to worry about fumbling for your pistol in the dark ever again. Also, ensure you use ribbed for the extra grip.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:01 AM   #38
gdvan01

Like they say...If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid. I prefer the inner tube thing but that's just me.

I don't think the appearance of my grip is going to induce any extra level of comfort to one staring at the business end of my G23.

Just sayin...

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old September 25, 2012, 09:29 AM   #39
zukiphile

Quote:
Spend a few dollars more and get a Hogue Handall or Hogue Handall Jr grip sleeve.
I started using innertubes 15 years ago after buying a hogue that slipped around and altered the circumference of my pistol grip.

Innertube works perfectly and the price is right. I'm suprised no one sells pieces as "Low Profile Polymer Tactical Adhesion Sleeves" for $5 a piece. After all, little kids buy "Sillybands", rubberbands in various shapes at 25 cents a piece.
Old September 25, 2012, 01:50 PM   #40
MGMorden

Quote:
Just buy a Hogue grip or Talon grips.
Hogue grips add finger grooves which makes them illegal for USPSA Production unless the gun already had them. Talon grips have the "sandpaper" feel to them that I don't particularly care for - I like rubber better.

Nothing to it really - just take a section of tube ($5 at wally world) - I try to find a bit with no writing on it - and cut more than you'll need. Stretch it onto the gun with overhang. The overhang portion will be pretty tight and at that point you can just use a razor to carefully trim the excess.

Cheaper than Hogue or Talon and works better for my purposes. I've done this on both my M&P that I use in USPSA as well as my CZ-52 (that one mainly just because the factory grip attachment lets the panels wiggle too much).
Old September 25, 2012, 05:06 PM   #41
wpsdlrg

For myself, neither the Hogue Handall or the Pachmayr grip sleeves work well (I've tried both). The finger groove "bumps" crowd my knuckles.....and as I have slightly enlarged knuckles due to RA, this leads to pain. This is why I began using the inner tube grip sleeve method. However, I've since stopped using it, as my current pistols both fit my hand very well.

So, you see, one size does NOT fit all in matters like this....so to speak. To each his own, I say.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:07 PM   #42
shortwave

Quote:
I try to find a bit with no writing on it
I like to save the pieces with the writing on them for my better BBQ guns. The white lettering kinda reminds me of the old white wall tires put on a set of old chrome "five spoke" Kragar SS wheels ya know.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:49 PM   #43
bedbugbilly

All joking aside . . . I'm surprised to find out that there are as many out there that do use a section of the bike inner tube. I'm also surprised that someone hasn't started to make a "slip over" in different sizes and colors as they would probably sell well if priced right (i.e. a couple of bucks).
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63