The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2009, 08:23 PM   #1
5RWill

My browning maxus review.

Picked up the maxus today, and it is an acceptional gun but different. First thoughts are feels great throws up great. Even though it is a very light profiled gun 6-7 pounds. It handles 3 and 1/2 mags beautifully. I shot everything from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2s today everything cycled fine. Recoil wise i give it a medium it's nowhere near as bad as inertia guns. It's very managable even for sensitive people. The muzzle jump is the smallest i've seen on a gun and is great for getting back on target especially shooting doubles in skeet. Swings very very good, hit about 23 of my 25 skeet today. My shoulder is a tad sore but in the past 5 days i've shot over 600 shells shooting skeet (yes i know crazy). There is one complaint the trigger, mabe it's browning but it has a give to the trigger before it goes off, like squeezing a rifle trigger but in fast motion. I think i can adjust it with the trigger groups. Got home after 75 rounds through it today. Cleaning it, well i left the gun oil on there that keeps it preserved in the case and all. And man it was dirty as hell. I'm guessing that factory oil was catching resedue mabe im wrong and all gas semi automatics fowl that bad but i don't believe it. It was almost as dirty as my 1100 skeet B that hasn't been cleaned for 3 weeks. Real reliability test will be tomorrow duck hunting in freezing conditions.

Anyway final conclusion is I like it alot and think it will serve as a fantastic hunting gun. Will post picks when i find my camera.

Last edited by 5RWill; December 28, 2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Dre

It might be my next gun, so keep us posted after your duck hunting...
Old December 29, 2009, 08:16 PM   #3
5RWill

Took it duck hunting this afternoon didn't wake up this morning, only fired one shot because hell can't seem to get where the ducks are. Almost had about 500 geese come in. But shot one shot in 39 degrees worked fine. Am for sure going tomorrow morning. Then afterwards will run a 100 rounds through it at the skeet range.
Old December 30, 2009, 11:12 AM   #4
5RWill

Had one jam today, wasn't the gun fault. Shot a light universal winchester load at a box just plinking, and it was a swollen hull and got stuck in the chamber. We put it in my friends benelli nova and he could hardly get it open. After that i loaded up 3 rounds and shot them smooth as butter. The gun still appears to foul more than my liking where the ports sit over the piston. Took the trigger out last night and bolt and cleaned all the 90 weight gun oil off that stuff and there is no fouling in the chamber. So far minus the screwed up shot the gun functions flawlessly in the cold and warm weather. I have yet to drop it in the water or use it as a boat paddle or dropped in the mud but its day will come we all fall in the duck hole some time or another ha.
Old December 31, 2009, 09:49 PM   #5
5RWill

Picture update

Old January 1, 2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Dre

Nice shotgun!!!
Old January 2, 2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Gold

hello Blackops_2

I look forward to the arrival in Italy of Maxus, meanwhile followed the discussions in forums, to know the views of the people.

In your opinion, after how many cycles, the Maxus needs cleaning?
is true that the auction Maxus can move a lot where it meets the receiver?

Best Regards

P.S Sorry for my English
Old January 3, 2010, 04:10 AM   #8
5RWill

As far as going without cleaning i haven't put it through the full test yet of my specifications anyway. I will eventually run 500-1000 rounds through it and see if i have any problems. Now cleaning wise, i have to say the ports foul badly or mabe it's because im not used to using a semi automatic shotgun. My maxus has cycled everything so far besides some exceptions which include a swollen hull, old paper shells, and 20 year old rusted shells that were so bad the wad busted coming out the barrel. Right now i honestly can't tell you how many cycles it can go without cleaning since the only jams i've had has been because of horrible ammo. I will update though. The action isn't really loose if thats what your last question was referring to. Now the bolt handle jiggles a little but nothing to worry about. It might be just me but i feel like im having to break in my gun where as other maxus reviews they are just starting off shooting and everything works fine. Of course i stripped down like you can see in the pictures and there are metal shavings from the parts moving when fired.
Old January 3, 2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Gold

Thank you!

Quote:
is true that the auction Maxus can move a lot where it meets the receiver?
this meant:

moves a lot?

Will follow 'very closely your next post about the Maxus

Best Regards
Gold
ITALY
Old January 3, 2010, 03:04 PM   #10
5RWill

Oh the foregrip. Now the forgrip does move as opposed to a gun with a magazine cap. But you have to apply a little force to it and try to make it move. Just handling the gun like normal and throwing up and shooting there isn't any movement.
Old January 3, 2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Gold

Thanks again
If I had more news, please feel free to report
Old January 4, 2010, 06:17 AM   #12
Gold

Browning is coming out with the UPLAND MAXUS and wood:
http://www.migratoria.it/forum/viewt...12830&start=60
Old January 4, 2010, 09:59 AM   #13
5RWill

Your welcome. Nice find ill keep you updated on my maxus. Another thing i've found is that the camo finish on the barrel feels like paper and is being scratched by my forgrip and hell i can scratch it. It seems it can rub off easily. But the finish on the gun's reciever is much better.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:14 PM   #14
Gold

Thanks
Old January 9, 2010, 05:35 PM   #15
5RWill

Duck hunt update

Took the maxus duck huntin this morning in below 20 degrees. My friend and I were breaking 3 inch ice that we could stand on. This is all very unusual for Mississippi. I have to say the Maxus is the real deal. Our guns on this trip included a benelli nova pump and my maxus. As soon as some birds came through my friend tried to shoot his pump, firing pin was frozen. I threw up and boom. Cycled fine. I did everything with this gun i would do with a pump in this kinda of weather which includes break ice.

Last edited by 5RWill; January 10, 2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old January 20, 2010, 06:06 PM   #16
Gold

News MAXUS

Maxus Sporting Carbon Fiber
Maxus Hunter
Old December 21, 2011, 12:40 PM   #17
5RWill

Update

Well it's been almost 2 years since i made this thread, just a week away now. And my final conclusion is set. From my personal experience. This is the best autoloading shotgun i've used.. period. It's light, accurate, comfortable ergonomics, and goes boom every time. I've put this gun through hell and back, sunk it in water, broke 3 inch ice, burried it in mud as i used it for a brace when i was falling, from 15F ice to 70F mud.. the works. Fact is i've treated it like my 870 wingmaster, which is another shotgun that in my experience has been unstoppable. There has been one moment when i thought it was going to stop working but it just kept going. That particular day the recoil spring in the stock was soaked with water and sluggish and when pressing the bolt release the action was sluggish to chamber a round, but as i said it never failed. It cycled fine, and fired every time. All these test were with a minor swap of oil in the breach to keep it fresh, no thorough cleaning of any kind.

Other than the finish on the barrel of this shotgun and the White Bead i'd have to give it a 10 out of 10.

Old December 21, 2011, 01:44 PM   #18
AllenJ

Blockops_2, I PMed you a while back asking about your Maxus and your answer then was enough that I bought one. It's good to see that your opinion has only gotten better!

I replaced a 11-87 Supermag with it and I have to say it's one of the better decisions I have made. Spending that much money on a hunting shotgun was very hard for me to do but I have to agree with you, it is worth it. I have yet to have a malfunction and I really like that I don't have to do a complete strip down cleaning after every outing, unlike the 11-87!
Old September 2, 2012, 12:47 AM   #19
5RWill

Well sadly i finally managed to get the gun to fail .

I haven't cleaned it since duck season and it showed today, on the opening day of dove season. The gun was absolutely filthy. The chamber had powder residue/debris all in it, the piston was black, and the magazine tube had a caked spot where powder residue had been burnt from the piston. After about a box of shells i noticed the action slowing up on me within ten shots later it failed to back into battery. I could see it dwindling down, there were times right before it completely stopped that during my shooting volley's i would have to wait for the action to cycle ( yes it was that dirty) I've experienced the sluggishness once before duck hunting in bad conditions the gun was soaked, gunk all in the butt stock and recoil spring. Yet it still cycled fine, the only time i witnessed sluggishness was when i used the bolt release and it road a shell into the chamber. It was like watching it in slow motion.

Needless to say after three hours of cleaning it's back to normal no gun is perfect but i'd say browning damn near came close with this one. The only downfall is that it's gas operated and blows more residue back into the chamber than would an inertia. Other than that simple feature of the design the perks out way it IMO. It's an extremely reliable, versatile, autoloader, that's under 7lbs, kicks like a 20ga, disassembled the quickest of any autoloader, and just overall points well for most people.

Some will look at this post and disregard the gun for the simple fact that it failed. But given the amount of time it's been sitting in filth and not cleaned during duck season either, it doesn't bother me. All things man made are prone to failure anyhow.

Just keeping it updated
Old September 3, 2012, 08:10 AM   #20
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the update.

System failure? Nope. Operator induced glitch, now rectified....
Old September 3, 2012, 01:20 PM   #21
Virginian

My buddy has one and it shoots okay. I will still take a gas gun any day over getting belted or having a two piece stock. I give all my guns a quick 5 minute cleaning whether they were shot once or 400 times after every outing. That may be one of the reasons I'm still so happy with my Remington 1100s.
Old September 5, 2012, 12:16 AM   #22
hopeisnotastrategy

Any experience with Beretta A400 Xtreme

Black Ops - Thanks so much for this thread. It's super valuable.

I just posted a new thread asking for advice on a decision between the Browning Maxus and the Beretta Xtreme. Your thread validated everything I've heard about the Browning.

I'm just curious if, in the time you've had your Maxus, you have been able to shoot or be around the Beretta so that you could provide a comparison.

Thanks in advance!

Only one life, 'twill soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last.
http://scottrossonline.com/
Old September 7, 2012, 05:53 PM   #23
Geoffkoop

I have owned my Maxus for about 9 month. I have the same exact version as Blackops 2. I love this shotgun. It has never failed in any situation. Do you use the factory chokes for duck hunting? What choke/ammo combo works best?
Thanks!
Old September 7, 2012, 07:32 PM   #24
5RWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeisnotastrategy
Black Ops - Thanks so much for this thread. It's super valuable.

I just posted a new thread asking for advice on a decision between the Browning Maxus and the Beretta Xtreme. Your thread validated everything I've heard about the Browning.

I'm just curious if, in the time you've had your Maxus, you have been able to shoot or be around the Beretta so that you could provide a comparison.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry it took me a while to respond i'm on the forum regularly just hadn't checked the shotgun section.

I have been around one beretta duck hunting, but only once. I can't remember the model either. Bot the Xtrema and Maxus have pretty good reviews. From what i understand the Xtrema is a heavy shotgun though i've never shot or held one. I understand it is up there as far as good water fowling gas semi autos are concerned. If i had to put a stake on it i'd say go with what ever fits you. Honestly I haven't really run across many automatics that have been jammomatics. We have two 1100 skeet B models, while admittedly i've never duck hunted with them (they're too nice) the only time they've every malfunctioned is due to parts breaking. The extractor on our twelve gauge, and the metal piece the action sits on in the 20 guage. I also haven't checked prices lately, i got my maxus for right at a grand, i understand now they're a little more pricey. I do remember the beretta being around 1200-1300 though.

This doesn't get mentioned enough either when something does go wrong with the maxus in the field (like the swollen hull incident i had duck hunting) it's so quick to break down. I know some don't care about that but i really love it. When it stopped in the dove field i had it disassembled in under a minute, and i wasn't rushing.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:11 PM   #25
5RWill

Fell down yesterday in the water on top of the gun it went in mud and gunk all in the action kept on shucking