The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Dr. Strangelove

8mm Rem Mag

So, the brother has purchased one of these cannons and has dies and brass on the way. I've got some 150gr and 170gr 8mm projectiles left over from my old 8mm Mauser days and I'm planning on using them up in this devil. Target shooting only for the moment. I'm thinking of using the RL-22 I use in my 7mm Rem Mag for this endeavor.

Anyone have any specific experience loading for this beast? I'm open to suggestion, as there isn't much data available.
Old September 16, 2009, 01:49 AM   #2
Scorch

I used to own a Rem 700 in 8mm Rem Mag. It was scary accurate, and shot flat, but it was rough on the shooter. I always describe shooting it as being like slammming your head in a car door. Recoil and muzzleblast are overwhelming. I loaded the 220 gr Hornady SP over just shy of 80 gr of H450, turning out 3,000 fps out of a 26" barrel. H450 is very similar to Reloader 19, FYI, so Reloader 22 should work well. Just a tip: the 8mm bullets typically sound in reloading shops are designed for 8mm Mauser velocities and do not do well when pushed 30% faster. I would try some Barnes X bullets or the new Winchester XP3 bullets.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I always wanted one but could never justify buying one, as it was too close to the 338 Win Mag I already have... SCORCH... did you find it more punishing than a 338 would have been out of the same gun ???

DR... the on line load site I subscribe to seems to have a couple different loads... I'll look at the powder options...
Old September 16, 2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

That site has load data for ...

150 gr bullet
H-4350
AA 4350
IMR 4350
IMR 4831
N-560
WMR

170 gr bullet
N-165
RL-19
H 4350
IMR 4350
AA 4350
H-450
IMR 4831

these were just under one reference

I subscribe to the site, because of the vast amount of load data there... check it out

http://www.loaddata.com/members/list...m&caliberid=57
Old September 16, 2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

You may find that those bullets simply aren't up to the velocities that the 8mm Mag. generates.

The 8mm Mag. was a decent cartridge, but like a lot of other Remington cartridges, they really screwed up the introduction by brining it out YEARS too late (after the .338 was really well established) and then they screwed up the bullet selections.

Bullets that would have made the round really effective Remington simply didn't offer.

There's a story that at the writer's conference where Remington introduced the 8mm, Elmer Keith listened intently, then got to his feet and brought the house down with one question -- "What the hell good is it?"

Apparently he didn't think too much of the round.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 16, 2009, 11:20 AM   #6
GeauxTide

Ken Waters

In Pet Loads, he called the recoil very fast and sharp in the M700. Looking at the data, it takes a lot more powder to duplicate the 338WM with 200s. In fact, my 338-06 is only 100fps behind with 56gr of powder.........
Old September 16, 2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
SCORCH... did you find it more punishing than a 338 would have been out of the same gun ?
Yes and no. Recoil is about the same, possibly a bit more. It launches a lighter bullet slightly faster than a 338, so the recoil is faster and sharper, as opposed to the 338 hard steady shove. It burns about 5-10% more powder than a 338, so it definitely speaks up when it has something to say, if you get my drift. Muzzle blast and concussion are powerful.

I shoot my friend's 338 in a light shirt. I would never shoot a 8mm Rem Mag in a light shirt.

I really think Remington would have done better with this cartridge if better bullets and slower powders had been available in the late 70s-early 80s. I loaded H450, about the slowest I could find. I think a powder like Retumbo or H50BMG or H1000 would be a good bet with the heaviest bullets available. But it is essentially a 8X68 with a belt. Maybe Remington learned something, they introduced the Ultra Mag line a few years later with no belt.
Old September 16, 2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm pretty sure that IMR 7828 was available back then, and did a fine job in this and other large bore cartridges.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 16, 2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that IMR 7828 was available back then, and did a fine job in this and other large bore cartridges.
That could be, Mike, but I don't remember ever seeing IMR7828 until the mid to late 1990s. Even if it was available, I didn't have load data available. About the slowest powers I remember being available were H450, IMR4831, Norma MRP.
Old September 19, 2009, 09:22 PM   #10
Dr. Strangelove

Range report

Thanks for all the replies!

I ended up going with RL-22 after speaking with Alliant powder, Speer, and Hornady. The rifle is a Remington 700 BDL.

Recoil and muzzle blast were impressive with the 150gr and 170gr starting loads, but not a huge increase over my 7mm Rem Mag. Definitely let you know you were shooting something, but not overly uncomfortable. We had bore-sighted the scope and finished sighting-in at 100 yds, it seems accurate enough given that we were just out to shoot and not trying for great accuracy.

We found an old box of factory 220gr loads on the clearance table at a local gunshop for $5.00 and decided to try them as well. These were approaching being uncomfortable, recoil being more like a hard punch to the shoulder, sort of like when you fooled around in the hallways in High School.

All around good fun and it seems like it will be a good addition to the stable. The magazine floorplate flew open after every shot, so I'll be looking for a new latch I suppose. (Boo hinged floorplates)

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; September 19, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old September 23, 2009, 07:16 PM   #11
thekyrifleman

A little late here but I have been shooting the "big 8" for about 20 years. I first tried the 150 gr sierras because I have an 8mm mauser. 90 gr of RL 22 in Rem cases, Fed 215 promers gave me 3375fps 10 ft from the muzzle and the groups were about 3/4". Killed a whitetail at a lazered 427 yds and she hit the dirt immediately. Also have shot the Barnes, Nosler partitions, all using RL 22. That seems to work the best. Since RL 25 has become available that might be one to try also.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:38 PM   #12
Clark

My 338WM does not kick noticeably with 250 gr bullets and 69 gr H4350 2640 fps.
It is 3.34" OAL.

The 8mmRM is 3.6" over all length, and will not fit in any of my actions.
I would love to build one, if I had an action that was long enough.

I think there are Rem700 factory 8mmRM rifles that occasionally come up for sale.
Old September 26, 2009, 10:46 AM   #13
roy reali

Baby Time

Many years ago I had a Remington 700 chambered for the 8mm Remington magnum. All the recoil stories here are true. In fact, it helped induce labor.

My wife at the time was pregnant. She was one month past due. We were becoming a little inpatient. I took her to the range, she sat at a bench and proceeded to shoot the 8 mag. She fired half a dozen shots. The next day she went into labor and our daughter was born. It is hard to say weahter the recoil from the rifle got things started, but who knowns?
Old September 26, 2009, 03:29 PM   #14
thekyrifleman

Good work Roy!!!!! and my first wife gave me grief because I took her for a pickup truck ride over bumpy roads!!!!! Also next day delivery!!