The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 7, 2009, 11:58 AM   #1
lawboy

Need good fiber optic front sight for 1911

Who is making a really good one? I have a Fusion sight on a Kimber and it is fine but I am wanting something with a longer blade that extends back along the slide, something a little more robust.
Old July 10, 2009, 10:16 AM   #2
lmccrock

Not sure what a Kimber Fusion is. Are these better?

Lee
Old July 10, 2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Doc Intrepid

In installed a Novak fiber optic sight onto a steel Colt Commander.

I loved it. It really aided my front sight acquisition as my eyes somehow got older.

One problem that they don't tell you about in the ad copy though. Fiber optic sights in general are more fragile than non-polymer sights.

On my second range session, firing federal FMJ rounds, the left fiber optic rod broke and fell out of the rear Novak sight. I picked it up off the floor and slid it back into place, but the end of it had broken off from the force of the recoil.

Called Novak for a little chat.

Basically Novak said (all) fiber optic sights were more fragile (nature of the beast, being thin polymer rods), and did better with the lower power reloads, where the high impulse recoil stress was not as significant.

(I asked them why they didn't have that little gem on their website. They didn't have a real succinct answer...)

Anyway, I bought some epoxy and cemented the rod back into the rear sight. I haven't gone back to the range with this pistol yet, so will give you an update later this month.

Be advised. The sights work great in that they allow extremely fast front sight acquistion for aging eyes. But they don't appear to like sustained firing of full-power loads, and you may be happier with something a bit more low maintenance.

One guys experience with Novak fiber optic sights on a 1911...

More info here:
http://www.novaksights.com/novak_fiber_optic_sights.htm
http://www.novaksights.com/

Best,

Doc
Old July 10, 2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Jim Watson

The longest, and therefore the brightest fibre optic sights I know of are the Brazos Lightning Rod and the Hi-Viz.

The Brazos would regularly kick out the inserts until a shooter who had worked with FOs more recommended a drop of Krazy Glue at each post. I have not broken an insert since.

Hi-Viz inserts are held in by a flimsy looking spring clip rather than being melted over at the ends. I have not kicked an insert out of mine, though.
Old July 10, 2009, 11:05 AM   #5
lmccrock

I was going to edit my original post but the edit was bigger than the original...

I use a green Dawson fiber front (also tried red, like green better) on a ParaOrdnance P14.45 with USPSA "major" loads, 230gr at 740fps or so. Not quite at ball power, but close. No problems with the fiber breaking when fired, but there are occasional breakages which I believe are holster or bag related. No problem, I carry spare fiber and usually someone has a lighter to burn the ends. I bought a meter for $4 a few years ago and now it is $9/meter! I guess they figured out shooters were using it and jacked up the price.

Lee
Old July 13, 2009, 06:37 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

I prefer the Dawson brand.